How to calibrate LCD monitor (LG L194WT) ??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beladi Nasralla, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    monitor LG L194WT.

    Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    editing digital photographic pictures.

    In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    images dark.

    The only thing left is to go to the nVidia Control Panel, and adjust
    gamma within "Desktop color settings". This is very effective, and
    brightens the dark tones... however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    the desktop !?? Are there better ways ? Or, being cheap, the monitor
    does not have a high enough dynamic range for adjustment ??
    Beladi Nasralla, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beladi Nasralla wrote:

    > however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > the desktop !??

    Yes.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2007

  3. On Aug 17, 12:46 am, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    > > however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > > every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > > the desktop !??

    > Yes.

    Why ? I did not have to do it when I was using the laptop. In the
    laptop, the pictures in the desktop had a proper tonality, and the
    game had proper tonality, too.
    Beladi Nasralla, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    >>> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    >>> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back
    >>> into the desktop !??

    >> Yes.

    > Why ?

    Why are you asking me why?

    > I did not have to do it when I was using the laptop. In the
    > laptop, the pictures in the desktop had a proper tonality, and the
    > game had proper tonality, too.

    See? The LT did and the LG L194WT does not. That 'proves' it. One
    does, one does not.

    Would you care to explain why the LT did?

    We are talking about your visual perception difference between two
    monitor screens which I cannot see and you want me to explain why your
    visual perception in one environment requires a particular kind of
    adjustment and not in another.

    How zany is that?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Beladi Nasralla wrote:

    Newsgroups: alt.games.half-life, 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,
    rec.photo.digital

    >> Why ?

    > Why are you asking me why?

    You are also an excessively crossposting googlegrouper.

    You should get a newsreader and a newsserver to post to usenet instead
    of using googlegroups, for at least 8 different good reasons; and you
    should learn some usenet netiquette about such as unruly crossposting.

    --
    Mike Easter - anti-crossposter
    Any crossposting with which I disagree
    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2007
  6. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Roman Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Beladi Nasralla wrote:
    >
    >> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    >> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    >> the desktop !??

    > Yes.

    Brilliant. One word answers are sooooooo cool.
    Mike Roman, Aug 16, 2007
  7. Beladi Nasralla

    ransley Guest

    On Aug 16, 9:38 am, "Mike Roman" <> wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > > Beladi Nasralla wrote:

    > >> however, am I soomed to increase gamma
    > >> every time I want play game HL2DM, and decrease it when I go back into
    > >> the desktop !??

    > > Yes.

    > Brilliant. One word answers are sooooooo cool.

    Doesnt the game have its own adjustable setting for brightness. There
    may be an updated driver from nvidea or LG
    ransley, Aug 16, 2007
  8. Beladi Nasralla

    Old Codger Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > You are also an excessively crossposting googlegrouper.
    >
    > You should get a newsreader and a newsserver to post to usenet instead
    > of using googlegroups, for at least 8 different good reasons; and you
    > should learn some usenet netiquette about such as unruly crossposting.

    Hmmm!

    The OP posted about a game (half life) and digital photographs; he was
    asking for help/advice with reference to PC hardware, specifically the
    nvidea card. Seems to me the cross posts might very well be highly
    relevant.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Aug 16, 2007
  9. Beladi Nasralla

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:17:16 +0100, Old Codger
    <> wrote:

    >The OP posted about a game (half life) and digital photographs; he was
    >asking for help/advice with reference to PC hardware, specifically the
    >nvidea card. Seems to me the cross posts might very well be highly
    >relevant.

    Cross posting is generally frowned upon. That's why.
    Evan Platt, Aug 16, 2007
  10. Beladi Nasralla

    Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    Beladi Nasralla says...
    > I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    > monitor LG L194WT.
    >
    > Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    > experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    > editing digital photographic pictures.
    >
    > In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    > al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    > monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    > is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    > ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    > optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    > too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    > modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    > images dark.

    I have no issues. Must be you.

    --
    Conor

    If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein
    Conor, Aug 16, 2007
  11. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Old Codger wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >> You are also an excessively crossposting googlegrouper.

    >> you should learn some usenet netiquette about such as
    >> unruly crossposting.

    > The OP posted about a game (half life) and digital photographs; he
    > was asking for help/advice with reference to PC hardware,
    > specifically the nvidea card. Seems to me the cross posts might very
    > well be highly relevant.

    There are tens of thousands of usenet groups and even more overlapping
    concepts being discussed at any moment in all of those groups.

    The idea that a person should crosspost to all of the possible groups in
    which some part of the topic might apply is ridiculous and it also
    creates numerous problems for the poster not being able to see an
    answer.

    In this instance, the poster likely chose to crosspost to an excessive
    number of groups in the hopes that someone in one of those groups might
    be able to give hir an answer s/he wanted to hear. However and
    unfortunately, there were a lot of things wrong with the post which
    would prevent many people from even seeing the question.

    In the first place, the question was being asked by a googlegrouper. A
    great many newsreaders and those who might answer questions filter out
    googlegroupers for a lot of different reasons. Some GGers are such
    newbies they do a bad job of asking questions. Some GGers are
    anonymizers. Some GGers are spammers. Some GGers are driveby posters
    never to return. Therefore posting as a GGer reduces the number of
    people who might see the post.

    In the second place, the question was crossposted to 5 different groups.
    A great many newsreaders and those who might answer questions filter out
    excessively crosspostings for a lot of different reasons. Some xs
    crossposting is being done by trolls and flamers. Some xs crossposting
    is going to 'break' the filters established by reliable newsservers.
    The 'formulas' by which major NSP providers use to filter out
    crossposted articles are a 'secret' and are not published by them
    because they don't want the trollish flamebaiters to know how they are
    filtering out their trollflame crosspost.

    In the third place, if the GGer were a more experienced usenet poster,
    s/he would have done a GG search about some elements of what s/he wanted
    to know and would have found previous postings in some group, whether it
    be an nvidia group or a video group or a game group. Having found a
    group which was populated by people who might know the answer to the
    question, the question would have been posted to that group and that
    group alone. Many GGers post to a lot of groups because they haven't
    gone to the trouble to figure out which is the appropriate group to
    post.

    In the fourth place, it is highly unlikely that the GGer reads regularly
    in all of those groups to which s/he posted. There are likely to be
    answerers to the question who do not believe in crossposting to groups
    that they don'e read or in groups to which their answer does not apply.
    So, it is possible and likely that if someone answered in some *one* of
    the crossposted groups and trimmed all the rest, that the OP would never
    see the answer, because the OP only reads in one of those groups, the
    alt.games.half-life group. The OP has no history of posting in any of
    the other crossposted groups, and I would wager does not read regularly
    in any of the other crossposted groups, including this one. That is,
    the OP is not reading this conversation we are now having because it is
    limited to 24hshd.

    There are probably some more places, but that is just one 'group' of
    reasons why the OP should not be excessively crossposting and more
    specifically should not be a googlegrouper who is excessively
    crossposting.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2007
  12. Beladi Nasralla

    Old Codger Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:17:16 +0100, Old Codger
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> The OP posted about a game (half life) and digital photographs; he was
    >> asking for help/advice with reference to PC hardware, specifically the
    >> nvidea card. Seems to me the cross posts might very well be highly
    >> relevant.

    > Cross posting is generally frowned upon. That's why.

    Is that a true statement or just your opinion? Does it apply to *all*
    cross posts, or just to those above some number? Does it apply to *all*
    groups or just to some groups?

    Excessive cross posting is, I do agree, often frowned upon and it could
    be that some would view cross posting to 5 relevant groups as excessive.
    IMHO it is marginal in this particular case.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Aug 16, 2007
  13. Beladi Nasralla

    Old Codger Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Old Codger wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> You are also an excessively crossposting googlegrouper.

    >>> you should learn some usenet netiquette about such as
    >>> unruly crossposting.

    >> The OP posted about a game (half life) and digital photographs; he
    >> was asking for help/advice with reference to PC hardware,
    >> specifically the nvidea card. Seems to me the cross posts might very
    >> well be highly relevant.

    > There are tens of thousands of usenet groups and even more overlapping
    > concepts being discussed at any moment in all of those groups.

    But the OP posted to just 5 relevant groups.

    > The idea that a person should crosspost to all of the possible groups in
    > which some part of the topic might apply is ridiculous and it also
    > creates numerous problems for the poster not being able to see an
    > answer.

    Agreed

    > In this instance, the poster likely chose to crosspost to an excessive
    > number of groups

    IMHO it was not posted to an *excessive* number of groups. OK, IMHO it
    was marginal on that score.

    > in the hopes that someone in one of those groups might be able to give hir an answer s/he wanted to hear. However and

    Agreed

    > unfortunately, there were a lot of things wrong with the post which
    > would prevent many people from even seeing the question.
    >
    > In the first place, the question was being asked by a googlegrouper. A
    > great many newsreaders and those who might answer questions filter out
    > googlegroupers for a lot of different reasons.

    Obviously neither your nor my news server, nor apparently some others
    also, filtered out his post.

    > Some GGers are such newbies they do a bad job of asking questions.

    Did the OP "do a bad job of asking question"?

    > Some GGers are anonymizers. Some GGers are spammers. Some GGers are driveby posters
    > never to return. Therefore posting as a GGer reduces the number of
    > people who might see the post.

    Do you consider the OP came into any of those categories, other than
    just being a GGer?

    > In the second place, the question was crossposted to 5 different groups.
    > A great many newsreaders and those who might answer questions filter out
    > excessively crosspostings for a lot of different reasons.

    It appears that at least some news servers have posted the OP's message
    so perhaps it was not "excessively cross posted".

    > Some xs crossposting is being done by trolls and flamers.

    Do you believe the OP to be a troll or flamer?

    > Some xs crossposting is going to 'break' the filters established by reliable newsservers.

    So. is this not an excessive cross post or don't you and I use a
    reliable news server?

    > The 'formulas' by which major NSP providers use to filter out
    > crossposted articles are a 'secret' and are not published by them
    > because they don't want the trollish flamebaiters to know how they are
    > filtering out their trollflame crosspost.

    That makes sense however, having read this post I tracked back on a few
    groups to find spam posts. On the few I easily found the spam was not
    cross posted, it was posted individually to each of the groups I read.
    The troll posts that I see regularly are excessively cross posted, but
    they are cross posted to in excess of 10 groups.

    > In the third place, if the GGer were a more experienced usenet poster,
    > s/he would have done a GG search about some elements of what s/he wanted
    > to know and would have found previous postings in some group, whether it
    > be an nvidia group or a video group or a game group. Having found a
    > group which was populated by people who might know the answer to the
    > question, the question would have been posted to that group and that
    > group alone. Many GGers post to a lot of groups because they haven't
    > gone to the trouble to figure out which is the appropriate group to
    > post.

    In you opinion then newbies are not welcome to ask questions.

    > In the fourth place, it is highly unlikely that the GGer reads regularly
    > in all of those groups to which s/he posted. There are likely to be
    > answerers to the question who do not believe in crossposting to groups
    > that they don'e read or in groups to which their answer does not apply.
    > So, it is possible and likely that if someone answered in some *one* of
    > the crossposted groups and trimmed all the rest, that the OP would never
    > see the answer, because the OP only reads in one of those groups, the
    > alt.games.half-life group. The OP has no history of posting in any of
    > the other crossposted groups, and I would wager does not read regularly
    > in any of the other crossposted groups, including this one. That is,
    > the OP is not reading this conversation we are now having because it is
    > limited to 24hshd.

    If the OP has any sense he will, for a while, read all the groups to
    which he has posted his message. Also, whilst he may have no history of
    posting to all these groups, he may well lurk in all of them and many more.

    > There are probably some more places, but that is just one 'group' of
    > reasons why the OP should not be excessively crossposting and more
    > specifically should not be a googlegrouper who is excessively
    > crossposting.

    If you wished to make that point you could have done so more gently and
    politely. That is more likely to have the desired effect. Had that
    post been pointed at me my reaction would have been to extend two
    fingers, and I suspect I am not alone in that.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Aug 16, 2007
  14. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Old Codger wrote:
    > Evan Platt wrote:

    >> Cross posting is generally frowned upon. That's why.

    > Is that a true statement or just your opinion? Does it apply to *all*
    > cross posts, or just to those above some number? Does it apply to
    > *all* groups or just to some groups?

    IMO, in the groups where I hangout, all crossposts are unnecessary, with
    the possible exception of some administrative announcements which have
    f/ups directed to one group.

    In 'my' groups, all questions could be directed to one group and one
    group only. I can think of certain types of questions which I have
    asked in the past in which I posted two different messages which were of
    a related nature into two different groups, individually.

    Prior to posting my questions, I had searched for my answer/s. I had
    determined that one group was the better group for asking the question a
    particular way with a particular background and then I read/scanned in
    one group for say a hundred messages so that I would know the 'layout of
    the land' before posting into the group. Then, similarly I determined
    that another group was a better group for asking the question in a
    different way and expressing the background in an appropriate manner for
    that group. I also made that post to that group after reading a hundred
    or so messages in the second group.

    If everyone who thinks about posting a message to more than one group
    would do it in the way I described above, that would be all right with
    me. And, that method would not involve crossposting and I also would
    not consider the example I gave to be 'multiposting'.

    > Excessive cross posting is, I do agree, often frowned upon and it
    > could be that some would view cross posting to 5 relevant groups as
    > excessive. IMHO it is marginal in this particular case.

    In almost all instances crossposting to 2 groups is excessive. If I
    read a message which is crossposted to 2 groups of which I read in one,
    when I answer the question, I'll be trimming out any other groups to
    which it is crossposted. If the poster isn't reading in the group which
    I am -- that is, if the crossposter isn't reading in ALL of the groups
    to which they crosspost, then they shouldn't be crossposting at all.

    Many/most people who crosspost do not read all of the groups they
    crosspost. Typically they read one and expect that everyone who
    responds to their message will 'respect' the way they crossposted in the
    first place.

    I recommend to others that if they read a crossposted message in any
    group and it is crossposted to groups they don't read, then they should
    remove all of the crossposted groups which they don't read in. No one
    should be crossposting to groups which they don't read, whether it is
    the original poster or any respondent.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2007
  15. Beladi Nasralla

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:11:11 +0100, Old Codger
    <> wrote:

    >Is that a true statement or just your opinion? Does it apply to *all*
    >cross posts, or just to those above some number? Does it apply to *all*
    > groups or just to some groups?
    >
    >Excessive cross posting is, I do agree, often frowned upon and it could
    >be that some would view cross posting to 5 relevant groups as excessive.
    > IMHO it is marginal in this particular case.

    Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one.

    Yes, it's a matter of opinion, and I think you'll find most people
    think cross posting is frowned upon.
    Evan Platt, Aug 16, 2007
  16. Beladi Nasralla

    Augustus Guest

    "Beladi Nasralla" <> wrote in message
    >I have a PC with a videocard nVidia 7600GT. Few days ago I got an LCD
    > monitor LG L194WT.
    >
    > Well, this turned out to be a cheap and nasty monitor. I have
    > experience with using a higher-class LCD monitor for playing games and
    > editing digital photographic pictures.
    >
    > In this monitor on the standard settings, the text in webbrowser is
    > al'right, however all images are too dark. I tried to adjust the
    > monitor. First of all, I decreased the brightness to 50% (the monitor
    > is too bright). Secondly, I went to the video card driver software
    > ("nVidia Control Panel"), and adjusted the gamma running "Display
    > optimization wizard". Unfortunately, the game Half Life 2 DM is still
    > too dark. Whatever knobs/settings I twist, it is dark. The monitor has
    > modes "normal", "user", "text" and "movie"... all of them leave the
    > images dark.

    This particular monitor gets pretty good reviews all round for a lower
    priced one. Contrast ratio 2000:1....unlikely that darkness of the images is
    going to be an issue. Very few complaints in many reviews. I'd tend to go
    along with the previous poster and suggest that it's got to be something on
    your end rather than the monitor. Try checking your connection.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/lg-l194wt-flat-panel/4505-3174_7-32154877.html
    Augustus, Aug 16, 2007
  17. Beladi Nasralla

    Old Codger Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:11:11 +0100, Old Codger
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is that a true statement or just your opinion? Does it apply to *all*
    >> cross posts, or just to those above some number? Does it apply to *all*
    >> groups or just to some groups?
    >>
    >> Excessive cross posting is, I do agree, often frowned upon and it could
    >> be that some would view cross posting to 5 relevant groups as excessive.
    >> IMHO it is marginal in this particular case.

    > Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one.

    Indeed.

    > Yes, it's a matter of opinion, and I think you'll find most people
    > think cross posting is frowned upon.

    Most of those you associate with perhaps. Most of those with whom I
    associate both accept, and occasionally do, moderate cross posting in
    appropriate circumstances.

    As you say, opinions ...

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Aug 16, 2007
  18. Beladi Nasralla

    babaloo Guest

    Personally I find that most first pesron shooters, Doom 3 et al, are
    unplayable in daylight no matter what kind of monitor is used, although you
    can crank up the brightness and gamma within the game itself.
    These games are meant to be dark. The inability to see the images clearly,
    and how cartoonish they are no matter what your video card, is a part of the
    game design.
    Settings you cahnge in the game control panel will apply only to the game.
    Any settings you change on the monitor or in the video driver are global and
    will apply to any program.
    You can create different monitor profiles with a calibration device and with
    the Nvida control panel although I would not recommend it.
    babaloo, Aug 17, 2007
  19. Beladi Nasralla

    Mike Easter Guest

    Crossposting trimmed to 24hshd only

    babaloo wrote:
    > Personally I find that most first pesron shooters, Doom 3 et al, are
    > unplayable in daylight no matter what kind of monitor is used,
    > although you can crank up the brightness and gamma within the game
    > itself.
    > These games are meant to be dark. The inability to see the images
    > clearly, and how cartoonish they are no matter what your video card,
    > is a part of the game design.
    > Settings you cahnge in the game control panel will apply only to the
    > game. Any settings you change on the monitor or in the video driver
    > are global and will apply to any program.
    > You can create different monitor profiles with a calibration device
    > and with the Nvida control panel although I would not recommend it.

    This is a classic example of what I'm talking about is wrong with
    crossposting.

    We are reading a decent explanation of a problem's solution or rather
    'situation' in 24hshd, but the poster babloo doesn't even read 24hshd.
    That poster probably only reads the game group alt.games.half-life and
    the digital photo group rec.photo.digital.

    I'm commenting on babaloo's post, but I'm not posting it into the
    group's which babaloo reads and I'm not posting it into the group which
    the OP googlegrouper Beladi reads.

    Newsgroup threads wander all over the place. Whatever the first poster
    of a message may be posting about is *NOT* what the next responder is
    going to be posting about. When the first poster makes more than one
    newsgroup the target of hir post, it opens the door for readers of
    various disparate groups to read the post and to respond.

    I absolutely never read posts in the groups alt.games.half-life,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, or
    rec.photo.digital -- why would I want to post my remarks about babaloo's
    post into those groups? It makes no sense whatsoever. Why would
    babaloo want to post hir message into other groups which s/he doesn't
    read? That makes no sense either.

    Babaloo should have posted hir reply to the message into only those
    groups which s/he reads. If that is alt.games.half-life and
    rec.photo.digital and if babaloo felt that the message belonged in both
    of those groups, then so be it.

    Mike Easter, Aug 17, 2007
  20. Beladi Nasralla

    Ed Light Guest

    Did you adjust the contrast? On some monitors, you set the dark tones
    where they should be with the brightness, then adjust the light tones
    with the contrast.
    ---
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home: