    I have aquired a DELL Inspiron 2650 with Window XP Professional installed
    from a family member who passed away. No one has been able to find the logon
    password. Is there anyway I can bypass this screen to create a new user?

    Janice, Apr 25, 2009

  2. Janice

    Carlos Guest

    Janice,
    Try this:
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 25, 2009

  3. Janice

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Please describe the screen contents as best you can together with the
    exact wording of any text.
    --

    Tom Ferguson
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    Tom Ferguson, Apr 25, 2009
  4. You can't bypass the logon screen.

    If you just want access to the data files, you can download and run from
    a CD e.g. Knoppix (the 5.1.1 CD version is the one I would recommend).
    See http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html for your local
    source. With this you could copy the data to a CD or external hard
    drive. There are other similar utilities available.

    This would also show whether any of the data had been encrypted -
    unlikely, but not impossible. If the data has been encrypted you will
    need to recover the original password, without it you will never be able
    to read the data.

    Ophcrack http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/gr/ophcrack.htm
    is a free password recovery tool. You would need the live CD version.
    The http://www.loginrecovery.com/ site referred to in Carlos's answer
    looks the simplest bet if you want to access the machine. If you are
    happy to risk losing any encrypted data, there are free tools to reset
    the password. Take your pick from the ones listed.

    An alternative is to remove the hard disk and fit it in an external
    enclosure. This could be read by any other XP or Vista system, unless it
    was encrypted.

    Dominic Payer, Apr 25, 2009
  5. Another possible workaround to this, if it hasn't gotten solved yet, is to
    do a "repair install" of Windows XP. This will let you set a new
    administrative password, and has the added advantage of cleaning up the
    installation substantially.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 26, 2009
  6. Janice

    marionbob

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    I have had some success with the PCUnlocker program. It is a Windows PE bootdisk that allows you to remove Windows logon password easily. It's worth a try! Good luck!

    marionbob, Nov 7, 2013