How to burn Video DVD with VCD quality videos?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by hsyq8xg@gmail.com, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.

    Several years ago when I visited China, I bought some video dics that
    contain footage of beautiful scenery in China.

    Each disc has like 7 - 9 episodes that lasts 60 minute each, some even
    contain as many as 12 episodes, which means, for each DVD, I get to
    enjoy watching 7 - 12 hours of movie on my TV, as compared to 1 hour
    and 12 minutes of video that I can get on one VCD.

    I have a whole bunch of home-made VCDs which contains all types of
    family events, from weddings to birthdays to outings to birth to new
    year celebration to baptism, and so on.

    Many of those footage I converted from old VHS tapes.

    And this get me thinking ---

    Why don't I compile some of the VCD footage and burn them into DVDs?

    Take those video DVD that I bought from China for example --- instead
    of 7 VCDs, now I can group them into ONE DVD.

    So I thought.

    I powered on my Nero, ripping out the video files (AVI) from the VCDs,
    and trying to burn them into Video DVDs.

    Nero complaints !!

    It just won't allow me to do so.

    According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
    format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
    DVDs.

    But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?

    I mean, those footages that were originally from VHS aren't High
    Definition format at all !

    Plus, the VCD video that were originally for the non-digital TVs were
    like 543X480 or whatever resolution.

    If I were to convert those non-HD quality video files into whatever
    Nero wants me to convert, they will STILL BE non-HD quality.

    Plus, if I convert them, their file size would just BALLOONED, without
    having any improvement on video resolution at all.

    In essence, if I were to follow Nero's demand, one DVD disk can only
    handle the (converted) footages from 3 VCDs.

    That's is a real bummer !

    So.... Is anyone here ever tried burning low-definition video footages
    into Video DVDs?

    If so, please help !

    I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
    of those low-definition video footages.

    And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
    anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
    original VCD video files?

    Please give me any suggestion that you might have.

    Thank you all !!!

    , Dec 13, 2008

  2. Bill in Co. Guest

    wrote:
    > I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.
    >
    > Several years ago when I visited China, I bought some video dics that
    > contain footage of beautiful scenery in China.
    >
    > Each disc has like 7 - 9 episodes that lasts 60 minute each, some even
    > contain as many as 12 episodes, which means, for each DVD, I get to
    > enjoy watching 7 - 12 hours of movie on my TV, as compared to 1 hour
    > and 12 minutes of video that I can get on one VCD.
    >
    > I have a whole bunch of home-made VCDs which contains all types of
    > family events, from weddings to birthdays to outings to birth to new
    > year celebration to baptism, and so on.
    >
    > Many of those footage I converted from old VHS tapes.
    >
    > And this get me thinking ---
    >
    > Why don't I compile some of the VCD footage and burn them into DVDs?
    >
    > Take those video DVD that I bought from China for example --- instead
    > of 7 VCDs, now I can group them into ONE DVD.
    >
    > So I thought.
    >
    > I powered on my Nero, ripping out the video files (AVI) from the VCDs,
    > and trying to burn them into Video DVDs.
    >
    > Nero complaints !!
    >
    > It just won't allow me to do so.
    >
    > According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
    > format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
    > DVDs.
    >
    > But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?
    >
    > I mean, those footages that were originally from VHS aren't High
    > Definition format at all !
    >
    > Plus, the VCD video that were originally for the non-digital TVs were
    > like 543X480 or whatever resolution.
    >
    > If I were to convert those non-HD quality video files into whatever
    > Nero wants me to convert, they will STILL BE non-HD quality.
    >
    > Plus, if I convert them, their file size would just BALLOONED, without
    > having any improvement on video resolution at all.
    >
    > In essence, if I were to follow Nero's demand, one DVD disk can only
    > handle the (converted) footages from 3 VCDs.
    >
    > That's is a real bummer !
    >
    > So.... Is anyone here ever tried burning low-definition video footages
    > into Video DVDs?
    >
    > If so, please help !
    >
    > I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
    > of those low-definition video footages.
    >
    > And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
    > anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
    > original VCD video files?
    >
    > Please give me any suggestion that you might have.
    >
    > Thank you all !!!

    This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
    crossposted here?

    But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
    conversion WILL be needed. And you cannot improve the video resolution of
    the source, no matter what you do.

    Google is your friend, for all these questions you have. Also check out
    www.videohelp.com.

    Bill in Co., Dec 13, 2008

  3. On Dec 12, 7:44 pm, "Bill in Co." <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.

    > > Several years ago when I visited China, I bought some video dics that
    > > contain footage of beautiful scenery in China.

    > > Each disc has like 7 - 9 episodes that lasts 60 minute each, some even
    > > contain as many as 12 episodes, which means, for each DVD, I get to
    > > enjoy watching 7 - 12 hours of movie on my TV, as compared to 1 hour
    > > and 12 minutes of video that I can get on one VCD.

    > > I have a whole bunch of home-made VCDs which contains all types of
    > > family events, from weddings to birthdays to outings to birth to new
    > > year celebration to baptism, and so on.

    > > Many of those footage I converted from old VHS tapes.

    > > And this get me thinking ---

    > > Why don't I compile some of the VCD footage and burn them into DVDs?

    > > Take those video DVD that I bought from China for example --- instead
    > > of 7 VCDs, now I can group them into ONE DVD.

    > > So I thought.

    > > I powered on my Nero, ripping out the video files (AVI) from the VCDs,
    > > and trying to burn them into Video DVDs.

    > > Nero complaints !!

    > > It just won't allow me to do so.

    > > According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
    > > format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
    > > DVDs.

    > > But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?

    > > I mean, those footages that were originally from VHS aren't High
    > > Definition format at all !

    > > Plus, the VCD video that were originally for the non-digital TVs were
    > > like 543X480 or whatever resolution.

    > > If I were to convert those non-HD quality video files into whatever
    > > Nero wants me to convert, they will STILL BE non-HD quality.

    > > Plus, if I convert them, their file size would just BALLOONED, without
    > > having any improvement on video resolution at all.

    > > In essence, if I were to follow Nero's demand, one DVD disk can only
    > > handle the (converted) footages from 3 VCDs.

    > > That's is a real bummer !

    > > So.... Is anyone here ever tried burning low-definition video footages
    > > into Video DVDs?

    > > If so, please help !

    > > I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
    > > of those low-definition video footages.

    > > And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
    > > anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
    > > original VCD video files?

    > > Please give me any suggestion that you might have.

    > > Thank you all !!!

    > This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
    > crossposted here?
    >
    > But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
    > conversion WILL be needed.   And you cannot improve the video resolution of
    > the source, no matter what you do.
    >
    > Google is your friend, for all these questions you have.   Also check outwww.videohelp.com.

    Maybe the guy is using winxp ? Ever thought of that possibility??

    Hari Hari Mau, Dec 13, 2008
  4. All I can find online is the term "DVD-VCD".

    At this page www.gromkov.com/faq/faq2004-0070.html -- you scroll
    towards the middle, under the "Other non-standard special DVD formats"
    banner, there's a listing of "DVD-VCD"

    At this page www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-vcd.cfm -- it has
    the following info:

    "Actually a very misleading term, since DVD-Video specs clearly state
    that VCD-encoded video content is perfectly within the specs of DVD-
    Video as well (with the exception of audio, which in VCD is 44.1kHz
    and in DVD 48kHz).

    But basically, DVD-VCD, is just a "clever" way to stating that we're
    speaking of DVD-Video disc that has material on it which has been
    encoded by using MPEG-1 video format with same definitions as VCD has
    (same resolution, same bitrate, etc).

    If you're interested of transferring your existing VCD movies to a DVD
    format, this process is relatively painless -- as stated before, only
    real difference between VCD and one of the allowed DVD-Video specs is
    the fact that the audio frequency needs to be changed from VCD's
    44.1kHz to DVD-Video's 48kHz."

    Unfortunately, if you click on the "our guide" link, you'll get to
    www.afterdawn.com/guides/ which has NOTHING about "DVD-VCD"

    You can also go to this page www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/convert/vcdtodvd/vcdtodvd.htm
    -- which has a better documentation on how to do it.

    This page www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/57/59/ -- also has some
    useful information

    Finally back to afterdawn ( www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm
    ) which also has info on how to put your VCD into DVD.

    Hari Hari Mau, Dec 13, 2008
  5. Bill in Co. Guest

    Hari Hari Mau wrote:
> [...]

    >>> If so, please help !

    >>> I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
    >>> of those low-definition video footages.

    >>> And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
    >>> anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
    >>> original VCD video files?

    >>> Please give me any suggestion that you might have.

    >>> Thank you all !!!

    >> This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
    >> crossposted here?
    >>
    >> But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
    >> conversion WILL be needed. And you cannot improve the video resolution of
    >> the source, no matter what you do.
    >>
    >> Google is your friend, for all these questions you have. Also check
    >> outwww.videohelp.com.

    > Maybe the guy is using winxp ? Ever thought of that possibility??

    Yeah I did. So what? This is a windows operating system support group.

    Bill in Co., Dec 13, 2008
  6. On Dec 12, 8:28 pm, "Bill in Co." <>
    wrote:
    > Hari Hari Mau wrote:
    > > On Dec 12, 7:44 pm, "Bill in Co." <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> This has little to do with the newsgroup windowsxp.general, so why is it
    > >> crossposted here?

    > >> But in general, whenever you go from one video format to another, a
    > >> conversion WILL be needed. And you cannot improve the video resolution of
    > >> the source, no matter what you do.

    > >> Google is your friend, for all these questions you have. Also check
    > >> outwww.videohelp.com.

    > > Maybe the guy is using winxp ? Ever thought of that possibility??

    > Yeah I did.   So what?    This is a windows operating system support group.

    So the guy is using Nero, which runs on WinXP, and he couldn't do what
    he wanted to do, so he post his message here.

    What's wrong with that??

    Hari Hari Mau, Dec 13, 2008
  7. [Why does this smell like a spam post is in the offing?]

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Dec 13, 2008
  8. Guest

    On Dec 13, 4:52�am, Eddie Hyde <> wrote:
    <snop>
    > When I'm on the road, I power/recharge my notebook using a cigarette
    > lighter adapter. �I start experiencing a problem with my notebook when
    > it's on that power source.
    >
    > Do I go to a discussion group for the brand of car I drive and expect
    > to get help?

    If you believe in a logical approach to problem diagnosing - yes. The
    only thing that has changed in the notebook context is that it is in
    the car. So its connection to the car, or the car environment, or the
    car power supply is the cause.

    Someone on the car NG may have had the same problem & its solution.
    They may know that there is an EMC (electro-magnetic compatibility)
    issue with the car, or its power socket.

    OTOH the car NG will be fairly ignorant of such things & you will be
    lucky to get an answer. Whereas on _this_ NG there are a lot of
    posters who are expert on the whole OS program environment, incuding
    standards of interfacing.

    Be relaxed about other's ignorance of protocol <g>

    Alan Lloyd

    , Dec 13, 2008
  9. Dick D. Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >On Dec 13, 4:52?am, Eddie Hyde <> wrote:
    ><snop>
    >> When I'm on the road, I power/recharge my notebook using a cigarette
    >> lighter adapter. ?I start experiencing a problem with my notebook when
    >> it's on that power source.
    >>
    >> Do I go to a discussion group for the brand of car I drive and expect
    >> to get help?
    >>

    >If you believe in a logical approach to problem diagnosing - yes.

    YOU are a moron.

    Dick D., Dec 13, 2008
  10. On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:52:42 -0600, Eddie Hyde <>
    wrote:

    >>> Yeah I did.   So what?    This is a windows operating system support group.

    >>So the guy is using Nero, which runs on WinXP, and he couldn't do what
    >>he wanted to do, so he post his message here.
    >>
    >>What's wrong with that??

    >When I'm on the road, I power/recharge my notebook using a cigarette
    >lighter adapter. I start experiencing a problem with my notebook when
    >it's on that power source.
    >
    >Do I go to a discussion group for the brand of car I drive and expect
    >to get help?
    >
    >EFF NO.
    >
    >You're a bozo.

    You should obviously not discuss it in the carmakers discussion group,
    but also in the Windows XP group. So obvious!

    ;-0

    -m-

    Martin Heffels, Dec 13, 2008
  11. Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:30:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
    >format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
    >DVDs.
    >
    >But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?

    nero is not the best program for making DVD from video file. They are
    somewhat stiff and inflexible.

    I use TMPGEnc with great result. You can use MPG1 to make standard VCD
    file with audio at 48KHz for proper DVD playback, VCD standard is
    44KHz so check that before encoding files. Then you can throw
    together all the VCD that will fit onto a DVD. I've gotten 450 minutes
    or 7.5 hours on single 4.7GB DVD. If you plan to make the DVD with
    menu (animated menu particularly) be sure to leave some space so hold
    off at about 7 hours.

    If the source video is VHS, VCD is generally the best since most VHS
    tape are recorded at nearly the same resolution as standard VCD (262
    lines for NTSC), going for higher DVD resolution would be a waste of
    space and time.

    You can find some free guides starting here at:
    <http://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/vcddvdr>

    Impmon, Dec 13, 2008
  12. Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:52:42 -0600, Eddie Hyde <>
    wrote:

    [snip]
    >When I'm on the road, I power/recharge my notebook using a cigarette
    >lighter adapter. I start experiencing a problem with my notebook when
    >it's on that power source.
    >
    >Do I go to a discussion group for the brand of car I drive and expect
    >to get help?
    >
    >EFF NO.
    >
    >You're a bozo.

    Flame and rant group this way ---->

    Trolling try going to alt.test instead, you'll get lots of email

    Lastly your problem can still be win xp related. Ever thought Win Xp
    power management setting got messed up when using car adapter?

    Now I'm off that way <---- to killfile group.

    Impmon, Dec 13, 2008
  13. Guest

    On Dec 13, 11:30 am, wrote:
    > I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.
    >
    > Several years ago when I visited China, I bought some video dics that
    > contain footage of beautiful scenery in China.
    >
    > Each disc has like 7 - 9 episodes that lasts 60 minute each, some even
    > contain as many as 12 episodes, which means, for each DVD, I get to
    > enjoy watching 7 - 12 hours of movie on my TV, as compared to 1 hour
    > and 12 minutes of video that I can get on one VCD.
    >
    > I have a whole bunch of home-made VCDs which contains all types of
    > family events, from weddings to birthdays to outings to birth to new
    > year celebration to baptism, and so on.
    >
    > Many of those footage I converted from old VHS tapes.
    >
    > And this get me thinking ---
    >
    > Why don't I compile some of the VCD footage and burn them into DVDs?
    >
    > Take those video DVD that I bought from China for example --- instead
    > of 7 VCDs, now I can group them into ONE DVD.
    >
    > So I thought.
    >
    > I powered on my Nero, ripping out the video files (AVI) from the VCDs,
    > and trying to burn them into Video DVDs.
    >
    > Nero complaints !!
    >
    > It just won't allow me to do so.
    >
    > According to Nero, I must convert the video files into some other
    > format, and only after that, Nero will let me create my own Video
    > DVDs.
    >
    > But that defeat the whole purpose, isn't it?
    >
    > I mean, those footages that were originally from VHS aren't High
    > Definition format at all !
    >
    > Plus, the VCD video that were originally for the non-digital TVs were
    > like 543X480 or whatever resolution.
    >
    > If I were to convert those non-HD quality video files into whatever
    > Nero wants me to convert, they will STILL BE non-HD quality.
    >
    > Plus, if I convert them, their file size would just BALLOONED, without
    > having any improvement on video resolution at all.
    >
    > In essence, if I were to follow Nero's demand, one DVD disk can only
    > handle the (converted) footages from 3 VCDs.
    >
    > That's is a real bummer !
    >
    > So.... Is anyone here ever tried burning low-definition video footages
    > into Video DVDs?
    >
    > If so, please help !
    >
    > I need to know how to do it, without having to BALLOON the file size
    > of those low-definition video footages.
    >
    > And it looks like Nero won't work with me on this thing ...... So, can
    > anyone tell me which software that I can use to create Video DVDs with
    > original VCD video files?
    >
    > Please give me any suggestion that you might have.
    >
    > Thank you all !!!

    We will offer you the latest DVD information about various discount
    and wholesale sources You will not only save time and effort but you
    can also save anything up to 90% off retail price, thus increasing
    your profit margins by buying at extremely low wholesale prices
    Welcome to visit our website !
    One order more than 1000 discs,you will get !FREE SHIPPING!
    Pls be free to contact with us by email msn livehelp or Skype
    Looking forward to hearing from you
    Thanks and have a great day!

    WWW.DVDSSELL.COM

    , Dec 13, 2008
  14. wrote:
    > On Dec 13, 11:30 am, wrote:
    >> I am new in burning DVDs, so please bear with me.

    <snip>
    > We will offer you the latest DVD information about various discount
    > and wholesale sources You will not only save time and effort but you
    > can also save anything up to 90% off retail price, thus increasing
    > your profit margins by buying at extremely low wholesale prices
    > Welcome to visit our website !
    > One order more than 1000 discs,you will get !FREE SHIPPING!
    > Pls be free to contact with us by email msn livehelp or Skype
    > Looking forward to hearing from you
    > Thanks and have a great day!
    >
    > XXX.DVDSSELL.COM

    Bingo, we have a wiener!

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Dec 14, 2008
  15. RickMerrill Guest

    Bill in Co. wrote:
    .... And you cannot improve the video resolution of
    > the source, no matter what you do.

    Where'd you get that fallacy? Or are you saying that there is nothing
    the USER can do? Or are you being a stickler about the meaning of the
    word "resolution" - i.e. it means what YOU want it to mean?

    Consider the hardware that upconverts SD 720 to HD1080, and the tricks
    that the major broadcasters use to improve the quality of their image
    AFTER the camera.

    RickMerrill, Dec 19, 2008
  16. "RickMerrill" wrote ...
    > Bill in Co. wrote:
    > ... And you cannot improve the video resolution of
    >> the source, no matter what you do.

    > Where'd you get that fallacy? Or are you saying that there is nothing the
    > USER can do? Or are you being a stickler about the meaning of the word
    > "resolution" - i.e. it means what YOU want it to mean?
    >
    > Consider the hardware that upconverts SD 720 to HD1080, and the tricks
    > that the major broadcasters use to improve the quality of their image
    > AFTER the camera.

    Perhaps it depends on what you think "improve" means.
    Upconverting 720 to 1080 doesn't "improve" anything
    by my definition of "improve". Do you think it uses some
    kind of magic to create the missing 360 lines ex nihilo?

    Richard Crowley, Dec 19, 2008
  17. RickMerrill Guest

    Richard Crowley wrote:
    > "RickMerrill" wrote ...
    >> Bill in Co. wrote:
    >> ... And you cannot improve the video resolution of
    >>> the source, no matter what you do.

    >> Where'd you get that fallacy? Or are you saying that there is nothing the
    >> USER can do? Or are you being a stickler about the meaning of the word
    >> "resolution" - i.e. it means what YOU want it to mean?
    >>
    >> Consider the hardware that upconverts SD 720 to HD1080, and the tricks
    >> that the major broadcasters use to improve the quality of their image
    >> AFTER the camera.

    > Perhaps it depends on what you think "improve" means.
    > Upconverting 720 to 1080 doesn't "improve" anything
    > by my definition of "improve". Do you think it uses some
    > kind of magic to create the missing 360 lines ex nihilo?

    Interpolation is hardly magic, but it literally adds "resolution."

    It is not done out of nothing, however.

    RickMerrill, Dec 20, 2008
  18. Smarty Guest

    "Richard Crowley" <> wrote in message

    > "RickMerrill" <> wrote in message
    >> Richard Crowley wrote:
    >>> "RickMerrill" wrote ...

    >>> Perhaps it depends on what you think "improve" means.
    >>> Upconverting 720 to 1080 doesn't "improve" anything
    >>> by my definition of "improve". Do you think it uses some
    >>> kind of magic to create the missing 360 lines ex nihilo?

    >> Interpolation is hardly magic, but it literally adds "resolution."

    > Making it easier to watch does not add resolution.
    > You put it in quotes indicating that you don't believe it yourself.

    Just to add my 2 cents...

    Strictly speaking, the process is extrapolation rather than interpolation,
    since the new points being created do not lie within the existing image
    pixel array spacings but instead lie within the space created by the larger
    (up-rezed) space. There is no new information and no new content whatsoever,
    as Richard already has pointed out, and the resolution has not been
    increased or improved.

    There are numerous strategies for improving the perceived image which
    exploit various visual and cognitive phenomena, and these have been applied
    to "fool" our eyes and brains. Yves Faroudja became rather wealthy and
    famous quite a few years ago in capitalizing on these types of things. Edge
    enhancement is a simple example. They are sometimes applied in addition to
    extrapolations to rationally justify up-rezzing, but they should never be
    considered a true improvement or increase in resolution. They simply are
    not.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Dec 20, 2008
  19. Smarty Guest

    "CLicker" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> "RickMerrill" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:gihd6p$rub$...

    >>> Making it easier to watch does not add resolution.
    >>> You put it in quotes indicating that you don't believe it
    >>> yourself.
    >>>

    >> Just to add my 2 cents...
    >>
    >> Strictly speaking, the process is extrapolation rather than
    >> interpolation, since the new points being created do not lie
    >> within the existing image pixel array spacings but instead lie
    >> within the space created by the larger (up-rezed) space. There
    >> is no new information and no new content whatsoever, as
    >> Richard already has pointed out, and the resolution has not
    >> been increased or improved.
    >>
    >> There are numerous strategies for improving the perceived
    >> image which exploit various visual and cognitive phenomena,
    >> and these have been applied to "fool" our eyes and brains.
    >> Yves Faroudja became rather wealthy and famous quite a few
    >> years ago in capitalizing on these types of things. Edge
    >> enhancement is a simple example. They are sometimes applied in
    >> addition to extrapolations to rationally justify up-rezzing,
    >> but they should never be considered a true improvement or
    >> increase in resolution. They simply are not.
    >>
    >> Smarty

    > I think everyone is using the wrong words and debating in the
    > semantic ether! The OP asked about improving VCD quality video.
    >
    > A 320 or 640 or 720 x 240 or 480 image processed by a
    > Faroudja-like upconversion algorithm will build anew missing
    > elements of the picture before also increasing its dimension.
    > The resulting image on a larger display will look decidedly
    > better than unprocessed frames.
    >
    > There would be no point in upconverting original 720p material
    > to 1080p, there is already enough info per frame to ~ double the
    > picture to 1080 without a Faroudja-like process being required,
    > although I'd guess it would certainly do no harm either.
    >
    > It seems that you want to suggest that the upconverted "new
    > points" created are not "new information?" If they are not, why
    > do we appreciate them so much more than were they absent?
    > That's a specious argument. There may be no information added
    > by upconverting beyond what may have been available in the
    > original subject being imaged, but there is certainly new
    > information in the processed image that was not in the stored or
    > transmitted image, bringing it that much closer to the original
    > subject.
    >
    > Everything about MPEG compression has to do with "fooling" the
    > human "perceiving" the image and how many bits per frame may be
    > required to do that. The more bits-per-frame resembling the
    > original content, the better the picture.
    >
    > So, as to the OP's query of how to burn (better) VCD quality
    > images, I'd suggest merely playing them as-is through an
    > up-rezzing video processor, whether or not the MPEG1 is stored
    > in a VCD or DVD structure. Converting them to any other
    > encoding scheme without an upconverting filter would be a waste.

    There is a common and deliberate pretense on the part of video equipment
    makers which is often accepted by gullible consumers that up-converting
    creates a higher resolution output, and thus 1080p from standard DVDs as
    well as other sources is merely a matter of adding additional conversion and
    output ports. No doubt many people walk out of BestBuy and elsewhere with
    DVD players or other media sources believing that they have inherently
    increased the quality of their original lower resolution library by making
    this investment. Although it is true that mpeg is inherently a direct
    exploitation of visual perception strengths and weaknesses, and in that
    respect does indeed "fool" us into believing that what we see and hear are
    credible in the absence of, it is designed to be ultimately symmetrical with
    the previous choices made when the compression parameters were selected in
    the encoding stage. It is not extensible in the manner you describe, of "the
    more bits per frame containing original content", rather, it works
    theoretically at its best when the expansion and compression are 100%
    faithfully matched. My point here is that you cannot get something for
    nothing in attempting to squeeze extra bits of content out of the process.

    Smarty, Dec 21, 2008