    GB DVD-R?

    Thanks In Advance,
    BTJustice
    Buford T. Justice, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Buford T. Justice

    R Benner Guest

    You may find that the file is too big, a program called DVDshrink will
    reduce it for you.

    I would not make it a habit of trying to put more than 3 hours of video on a
    DVD, the quality compromise will become obvious. 1-2 hours is more
    reasonable.

    "Buford T. Justice" <???@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I just got a TDK Indi 880N DVD burner which came with Roxio Easy CD & DVD
    > Creator 6 Basic. I also have a MSI TV card which came with WinDVD Creator
    > Plus 1.1. I am using Memorex DVD-Rs which claim to have a 6 hour capacity
    > in EP mode.
    >
    > I hooked my VCR up to my MSI TV card and used WinDVD Creator to capture

    the
    > 2001 NASCAR Daytona 500 which Dale Earnhardt was killed in. The race and
    > news after is a total of 4:48 with a file size of 4.67 GBs. I selected EP
    > mode when it saved to a .MPG file.
    >
    > Does WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1 support EP mode (6 hour) when burning to a

    DVD?
    > The only DVD burning options I see are DVD on CD, DVD (2 hours), and DVD

    (1
    > hour). When I select the 2 hour option, it says it MAY NOT fit which to

    me
    > (being a DVD burning newbie) seems obvious since that would be 2:48 short

    of
    > the total and 4 hours short of 6 hours.
    >
    > Or, I am mistaken since the file size now is 4.67 GBs which would fit a

    4.7

    R Benner, Feb 17, 2004

  3. I think what I am looking for is DVD creating software that allows me to
    select SP (2 hr.), LP (4 hr.), and EP (6 hr.) time modes when I am ready to
    burn to DVD. I am starting to think WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1 does not
    support EP mode when burning to DVD.

    BTJustice

    Buford T. Justice, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Buford T. Justice

    ñKs Guest

    You just adjust the bitrate to determine the time...6 hrs would be horrible

    ñKs, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Why would it be horrible and how would I adjust the bitrate?

    BTJustice

    Buford T. Justice, Feb 18, 2004
  6. Buford T. Justice

    luminos Guest

    At this bitrate it will look very blocky, particularly if the source is
    noisy or has a lot of activity...worse than an old VHS tape.
    luminos, Feb 18, 2004
  7. Buford T. Justice

    Erika Guest

    > You just adjust the bitrate to determine the time...6 hrs would be
    horrible

    Not if he uses 352x240. At that resolution, he could use a bitrate of around
    1400-1500kbit/sec and fit 6 hours on a disk. If his source material is
    clean, it will look as good as VHS, possibly even a little bit better.
    Erika, Feb 18, 2004
  8. Buford T. Justice

    John Savard Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:07:39 -0600, "Buford T. Justice" <???@msn.com>
    wrote, in part:

    >I think what I am looking for is DVD creating software that allows me to
    >select SP (2 hr.), LP (4 hr.), and EP (6 hr.) time modes when I am ready to
    >burn to DVD.

    These modes are not applicable to DVD. You are thinking of VHS
    videotape, which has these modes in order that the offset between
    frames will be a whole number of lines, to permit special effects.
    (Well, at least that applies to SP and EP.)

    John Savard
    John Savard, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Buford T. Justice

    Old Nick Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:27:10 -0600, "Buford T. Justice" <???@msn.com>
    vaguely proposed a theory
    .......and in reply I say!:

    Gah! These bloody programmes! Most of them are so "simplified" as to
    ve uselessly confusing!

    OK. I am no expert.

    You have it pretty well right when you say the file size is what
    matters. Unfortunately, you cannot get 4.7GB on a 4.7GB DVD, but about
    4.3GB, due to the "bits and pieces" that are on there for formatting
    etc.

    I do not have WinDVD Creator. Does it have the option to make a DVD
    directory on the HD, rather than make a DVD (something like "create
    DVD fiels on disk" rather than "burn DVD")? This will save you the
    price of a lot of coasters. In theory, the 120 min DVD on CD option
    should work, and you should not lose too much quality, as you have
    already compressed the file down to near as dammit 4.3 GB anyway. The
    best way to do it, if the programme allows, is to cut a small portion
    of the total tape, say 15 minutes, and make a HD "DVD file tree",
    using the DVD on CD setting. See how big the file is for 15 minutes,
    and also whether the quality is acceptable. It should be better than
    tape anyway. Once you know that 15 minutes uses XX MB of disk, you can
    extrapolate out to 5 hours (allow at least that much headroom) and see
    if it fits. Then make a HD file tree of the whole show.

    I suggest a trial because suthoring the DVD takes a significant time
    over the actual length of playtime.

    Having done that, you should have DVD burning software that allows you
    to burn to DVD. It usually comes with the DVD drive.....oh Easy CD. OK

    BTW. None of this guarantees that you will be able to play the DVD on
    a set-top DVD player :-<

    >I just got a TDK Indi 880N DVD burner which came with Roxio Easy CD & DVD
    >Creator 6 Basic. I also have a MSI TV card which came with WinDVD Creator
    >Plus 1.1. I am using Memorex DVD-Rs which claim to have a 6 hour capacity
    >in EP mode.
    >
    >I hooked my VCR up to my MSI TV card and used WinDVD Creator to capture the
    >2001 NASCAR Daytona 500 which Dale Earnhardt was killed in. The race and
    >news after is a total of 4:48 with a file size of 4.67 GBs. I selected EP
    >mode when it saved to a .MPG file.
    >
    >Does WinDVD Creator Plus 1.1 support EP mode (6 hour) when burning to a DVD?
    >The only DVD burning options I see are DVD on CD, DVD (2 hours), and DVD (1
    >hour). When I select the 2 hour option, it says it MAY NOT fit which to me
    >(being a DVD burning newbie) seems obvious since that would be 2:48 short of
    >the total and 4 hours short of 6 hours.
    >
    >Or, I am mistaken since the file size now is 4.67 GBs which would fit a 4.7
    >GB DVD-R?
    >
    >Thanks In Advance,
    >BTJustice

    **************************************************** sorry

    ..........no I'm not!

    Spike....Spike? Hello?
    Old Nick, Feb 19, 2004
  10. Buford T. Justice

    xmas Guest

    Hi Buford T. Justice,

    I am far from being an expert but I can understand why you don't want to
    split it on 2 disks. Since it came from a VHS tape the quality will never
    get better and you are only changing the format for convenience.

    I would try TMPGEnc DVD Author... I know that you can insert VCD Quality
    Mpeg video files and it doesn't care.(or recode them) Then you can set up
    your menu and save to a folder on the hard drive. (It will change it to a
    vob file and the folder will contain the menu and supporting files) If it
    complains that it is too big just ignore and go on..

    Note: If you try this with the Roxio DVD Builder it will try to change the
    VCD 352x240 Format to DVD 720x480 resulting in a file 6 or 7 times the
    size....

    Note: VCD format is about ~ 3760MB for 6 hours.. (That will fit and can be
    done)

    NOW.... If the movie is too large then use DVD Shrink to make it fit on
    the DVD.

    BTW: Doing it this way I can get 6 CSI Videos on 1 DVD with menus with
    about the same quality as the TV... (Coming soon to my house HDTV and I will
    have to change my ways Ha hahaha)

    Just my thoughts...

    xmas
    www.xmas-i-am.com
    =================================

    xmas, Feb 19, 2004
  11. ANSWER: TMPGEnc

    I found a solution...

    1) Use TMPGenc DVD Source Creator to recompress the movie.

    2) Use TMPGEnc DVD Author to add my chapters, create menus, and burn to
    DVD-R.

    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

    BTJustice

    Buford T. Justice, Feb 21, 2004