How to bridge two separate LANs via IP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bbiandov, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. bbiandov

    bbiandov

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Messages:
    14
    Hi everyone,

    This has been on my mind for some time and I have done testing at the lab but I get stuck when I try to make tunnel interface member of bridge-group, that is simply NOT possible.

    So instead I will give you the high level objective:

    I have two LANs and there is IP connectivity between them via IP (public Internet, no circuits that I have control over so simple bridging is impossible)

    I need to bridge those 2 LANs so the closest thing that came to mind was to create 2 new interfaces: BVI interface and tunnel gre interface, then make the tunnel interface and the ETH0 members of the same bridge-group as the BVI. Problem is that one can NOT assign bridge-group to tunnel interfaces.

    Ultimately the test of success is whether I sit on one LAN and I can see arp on the other, pure bridging over IP

    Is that possible?

    ~B

    bbiandov, Feb 24, 2008