    rules.

    Any good programs that will weed out this crap?

    Thanks

    ConTactMe, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Tyr using Spam Inspector. It works great for me. www.giantcompany.com

    Paul J. Veres, Dec 20, 2003

  3. "ConTactMe" <> wrote in message
    > How can one "bounce mail back to spammers? I tried blocking email in my
    > cpanel manager for my website, but no good. I can set up rules in OE6, but
    > it doesn't work that well (jerks use funky spelling to get their "message"
    > thru), and once in a blue moon, my OE6 crashes, so I have to recreate al
    > rules.

    Google is your friend. Try a search for bounce + back + spam.

    Oxford Systems, Dec 20, 2003
  4. ConTactMe

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:45:02 GMT, ConTactMe wrote:

    >How can one "bounce mail back to spammers?

    DON'T.

    http://tinyurl.com/24yqv
    http://tinyurl.com/2zl8f
    http://tinyurl.com/2o3q9

    >I tried blocking email in my
    >cpanel manager for my website, but no good. I can set up rules in OE6, but
    >it doesn't work that well (jerks use funky spelling to get their "message"
    >thru), and once in a blue moon, my OE6 crashes, so I have to recreate al
    >rules.
    >
    >Any good programs that will weed out this crap?

    Stop using NOSPAM as a munge. Bots can get right around that. Use a proper
    munge, or an address KNOWN to be invalid, or a privacy.net address.

    http://www.privacy.net/email/

    "Just try not to use the same number someone else is using, in any particular
    group."

    --
    You don't change the way people think by changing what they say.
    You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLY-

    Mara, Dec 20, 2003
  5. ConTactMe

    EricP Guest

    <> wrote:

    >How can one "bounce mail back to spammers? I tried blocking email in my
    >cpanel manager for my website, but no good. I can set up rules in OE6, but
    >it doesn't work that well (jerks use funky spelling to get their "message"
    >thru), and once in a blue moon, my OE6 crashes, so I have to recreate al
    >rules.
    >
    >Any good programs that will weed out this crap?
    >
    >Thanks

    You don't bounce mail
    Most spam comes from forgery of innocent persons mail addresses, so
    you just bounce back to someone who know nothing, or to a non existant
    box and it bounces back to you.

    The amount of traffic it causes is very bad.

    EricP, Dec 20, 2003
  6. ConTactMe wrote:

    > How can one "bounce mail back to spammers? I tried blocking email in my
    > cpanel manager for my website, but no good. I can set up rules in OE6, but
    > it doesn't work that well (jerks use funky spelling to get their "message"
    > thru), and once in a blue moon, my OE6 crashes, so I have to recreate al
    > rules.
    >
    > Any good programs that will weed out this crap?

    Some email programs have a "bouncer" built in - the most noteable is the
    current Mac OS X Mail - and yes, I know.. you don't run Mac. Who really
    does? (I mean, besides me when I can.)

    Since most spam uses a bogus address, the bounce would be pretty
    useless. I'd say just keep using those filters.... Or switch to a new
    mail program that doesn't loose it's filters when (if?) it crashes.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 20, 2003
  7. ConTactMe

    angler Guest

    "ConTactMe" <> wrote in message
    > How can one "bounce mail back to spammers? I tried blocking email in my
    > cpanel manager for my website, but no good. I can set up rules in OE6, but
    > it doesn't work that well (jerks use funky spelling to get their "message"
    > thru), and once in a blue moon, my OE6 crashes, so I have to recreate al
    > rules.
    >
    > Any good programs that will weed out this crap?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > I use "Mailwasher" and it works well.

    Download it free from www.mailwasher.net
    Hope it helps you. Cheers jim.

    ---

    angler, Dec 20, 2003
  8. ConTactMe

    Flighty Guest

    Google Search for MailWasher

    Flighty, Dec 20, 2003
  9. ConTactMe

    ConTactMe Guest

    COOL. Thanks for the great advice.

    ConTactMe, Dec 20, 2003
  10. ConTactMe

    ConTactMe Guest

    Great point, as Mara apparently was trying to get across to me.

    Thanks again.

    ConTactMe, Dec 20, 2003
  11. ConTactMe

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:15:40 GMT, ConTactMe wrote:

    >COOL. Thanks for the great advice.

    You're welcome. This question gets asked in 24HSHD every so often - some posters
    don't realise that they could lose their account for doing it.

    "I'd nuke an account in an eyeblink if I caught someone doing it. It just _adds_
    to the problem, and that's _all_ it does."

    <snip>

    Mara, Dec 20, 2003
  12. ConTactMe

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:15:40 GMT, ConTactMe wrote:

    >Great point, as Mara apparently was trying to get across to me.

    Exactly so. Thanks for getting clue. :)

    Mara, Dec 20, 2003
  13. ConTactMe

    Gmacz Guest

    > > I use "Mailwasher" and it works well.

    > Download it free from www.mailwasher.net
    > Hope it helps you. Cheers jim.

    I used Mailwasher to bounce.
    What a mess it made.
    Email address was maxed out with mail and bounced back mail.
    As others have said, do not bounce mail.
    It just validates your email address as LIVE.
    Yours Gmacz

    Gmacz, Dec 21, 2003
  14. ConTactMe

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    <> wrote:

    >How can one "bounce mail back to spammers? I tried blocking email in my
    >cpanel manager for my website, but no good. I can set up rules in OE6, but
    >it doesn't work that well (jerks use funky spelling to get their "message"
    >thru), and once in a blue moon, my OE6 crashes, so I have to recreate al
    >rules.

    Bouncing mail back to them often doesn't work. It also has the sorry
    reputation of assisting spammers. IF they use a legitimate reply
    address, and many do not, you are telling them with the bounce that
    your address is functional and they can use it for more spam runs.

    >Any good programs that will weed out this crap?

    There are as many programs to weed out spam as there are people to
    recommend them. I use a pro-active approach. See my sig block for more
    details on that.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Dec 21, 2003
  15. ConTactMe

    JANET Guest

    JANET, Dec 22, 2003
  16. ConTactMe

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:52:13 GMT, JANET wrote:

    This is a plain-text newsgroup. Please adjust your settings accordingly.

    >"Mara" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:45:02 GMT, ConTactMe wrote:
    >>
    >> >How can one "bounce mail back to spammers?

    >> DON'T.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/24yqv
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2zl8f

    <snip>

    Mara, Dec 22, 2003
  17. ConTactMe

    news Guest

    try this
    http://www.webattack.com/get/spamstalker.shtmlhttp://www.webattack.com/get/s
    pamstalker.shtml

    news, Dec 23, 2003
  18. ConTactMe

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:11:35 -0000, news wrote:

    >try this
    >http://www.webattack.com/get/spamstalker.shtmlhttp://www.webattack.com/get/s
    >pamstalker.shtml

    First of all, I don't need to try anything - I don't receive any spam. None.

    Secondly, ANY program that sends bounces to non-existent addresses or to
    innocent third parties that are routinely forged into spam, which is what all
    end-user programs that have a bounce feature do, is a piece of crap that's doing
    MORE damage to e-mail, and not helping in the slightest. And it could cost you
    your account, with white-hat hosts. Even filtering programs are better than
    bounce programs, and they don't do anything to stem the flow of spam, either -
    they just keep _you_ from seeing it.

    "Even servers don't bounce if they're configured correctly - they reject
    instead."

    Mara, Dec 23, 2003