    screen did not appear. What files must be copied to the M:\Vista
    installation?

    Thanks for any help -

    Donn, Jul 11, 2007

  2. Donn

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Donn" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Have Vista installed on the second disk and would like to change the boot
    > order in BIOS so I can have the option of booting from the first or second
    > hard drive.
    >
    > Two instances of XP are on the first drive and would like to be able to
    > access Vista if the C: Partition is formatted.
    >
    > I have moved C:\Boot\, ntldr, NTDETECT to the partition and the multiboot
    > screen did not appear. What files must be copied to the M:\Vista
    > installation?

    Microsoft.public.windows.vista General or Setup NG(s) is where you need to
    post.

    Mr. Arnold, Jul 11, 2007

  3. Donn

    harry Guest

    "Donn" <> wrote in message
    > Have Vista installed on the second disk and would like to change the boot
    > order in BIOS so I can have the option of booting from the first or second
    > hard drive.
    >
    > Two instances of XP are on the first drive and would like to be able to
    > access Vista if the C: Partition is formatted.
    >
    > I have moved C:\Boot\, ntldr, NTDETECT to the partition and the multiboot
    > screen did not appear. What files must be copied to the M:\Vista
    > installation?
    >
    > Thanks for any help -

    Do a google for "osloader" it gives you the option at bootup

    Harry

    harry, Jul 11, 2007
  4. Donn

    Vanguard Guest

    "Donn" wrote in message
    > Have Vista installed on the second disk and would like to change the
    > boot
    > order in BIOS so I can have the option of booting from the first or
    > second
    > hard drive.
    >
    > Two instances of XP are on the first drive and would like to be able
    > access Vista if the C: Partition is formatted.
    >
    > I have moved C:\Boot\, ntldr, NTDETECT to the partition and the
    > multiboot
    > screen did not appear. What files must be copied to the M:\Vista
    > installation?
    >
    > Thanks for any help -

    The system BIOS will look for the 1st physically detected drive and load
    the bootstrap code from the 446-byte bootstrap area of the MBR (master
    boot record = 1 sector). To make it try using the 2nd hard drive, you
    would need to have the 1st hard drive on a different IDE or SATA port
    and disable that one but then you couldn't access this hard drive while
    in Windows.

    Sounds like you want to multiboot. GAG (at www.sourceforge.net) is a
    multiboot manager and is free.

    Vanguard, Jul 11, 2007
  5. Donn

    John Holmes Guest

    Donn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Have Vista installed on the second disk and would like to change the
    > boot order in BIOS so I can have the option of booting from the first
    > or second hard drive.
    >
    > Two instances of XP are on the first drive and would like to be able
    > to access Vista if the C: Partition is formatted.
    >
    > I have moved C:\Boot\, ntldr, NTDETECT to the partition and the
    > multiboot screen did not appear. What files must be copied to the
    > M:\Vista installation?
    >
    > Thanks for any help -

    Have only the HD with vista on it connected to the mainboard. (disconnect
    all other HD's) Boot from the installation DVD. Chose repair. Click
    repair to re-write the MBR. Now connect the XP or whatever drive(s) and
    upon starting the computer, choose the drive from which you want to start
    in the BIOS. Done.

    --
    Your mother was a dweeby behemoth who spent most of her life at the local
    Fire Station.

    John Holmes, Jul 11, 2007
  6. Donn

    Plato Guest

    Donn wrote:

    > Have Vista installed on the second disk and would like to change the boot
    > order in BIOS so I can have the option of booting from the first or second
    > hard drive.

    Just for future reference, its best to keep your OS's completely
    separated, especially if you want to run two copies of XP/Vista. Before
    you setup your second copy of xp, change your boot drive to the second
    HDD, then install. This will keep both copyies of XP/Vista separated.
    Then you just have to change your boot drive in the bios to the drive
    you want to boot from. Of course, there are other ways to do this, but
    this is just the way I personally prefer to do it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 12, 2007