How to boot-debug to fix Multi-booting win2000 logical partitionusing Grub

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Scott Stephens, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. I can't get Grub to boot win2000, imaged from the first pri. NTFS
    partition, to install in a logical NTFS partition, or even a 2nd/3rd
    pri. partition.

    I can boot the restored W2K image with an NT boot floppy, with modified
    boot.ini to point to the new partition, with the HKLM\system\mounted
    devices key changed however.

    So I ran fixboot in the recovery console to restore the partitions boot
    sector, but that didn't help either.

    I read something about a problem with the Linux 2.6 kernel, qtparted &
    partimage having disk geometry problems.

    I'd druther not re-install and re-image my partitions. I need Grub, not
    the NT boot-loader.

    What tools can I use to debug and trace the MBR & partition boot sector?

    Scott

    --
    **********************************

    DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
    http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

    POLITICS, n.
    A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
    The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

    Don't ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
    Rand

    **********************************
    Scott Stephens, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Scott Stephens

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: How to boot-debug to fix Multi-booting win2000 logical partition using Grub

    Scott Stephens wrote:

    > I can't get Grub to boot win2000, imaged from the first pri. NTFS
    > partition, to install in a logical NTFS partition, or even a 2nd/3rd
    > pri. partition.
    >
    > I can boot the restored W2K image with an NT boot floppy, with modified
    > boot.ini to point to the new partition, with the HKLM\system\mounted
    > devices key changed however.
    >
    > So I ran fixboot in the recovery console to restore the partitions boot
    > sector, but that didn't help either.
    >
    > I read something about a problem with the Linux 2.6 kernel, qtparted &
    > partimage having disk geometry problems.
    >
    > I'd druther not re-install and re-image my partitions. I need Grub, not
    > the NT boot-loader.
    >
    > What tools can I use to debug and trace the MBR & partition boot sector?
    >
    > Scott

    Ultimate Boot CD may be able to help you.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Scott Stephens

    Scott Stephens <> wrote:

    > I can't get Grub to boot win2000, imaged from the first pri.

    I can not help you get grub to boot win2000.

    > NTFS partition, to install in a logical NTFS partition, or even a
    > 2nd/3rd pri.

    Sorry, I can't help with any computer problems.

    > partition.

    You're so literal-minded.

    > I can boot the restored W2K image with an NT boot floppy, with modified
    > boot.ini to point to the new partition, with the HKLM\system\mounted
    > devices key changed however.

    Prove that you can boot the restored w2k image with an nt boot floppy,
    Stephens.

    > So I ran fixboot in the recovery console to restore the partitions boot
    > sector, but that didn't help either.

    You have lousy light in here.

    > I read something about a problem with the Linux 2.6 kernel, qtparted
    > & partimage having disk geometry problems.

    linux makes you fucking stupid.

    > I'd druther not re-install and re-image my partitions.

    And if you do, watch out.

    > I need Grub, not the NT boot-loader.

    Why do you want grub?

    > What tools can I use to debug and trace the MBR & partition boot sector?

    I don't care if you use to debug and trace the mbr and partition boot
    sector.

    > Scott.

    Ridiculous.
    Duane Arnold, Jul 25, 2005