    Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Dan

    Dan_track, Apr 7, 2006

  2. make a copy of your vlan.dat file

    Martin Bilgrav, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Dan_track

    Dan_track Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the info.

    But how do I restore the vlan to all teh switches. Is it simple enough
    to copy the vlan.dat to all the switches. Lets say I backup only one
    switch, will it's vlan/dat work for all switches?

    Thanks
    Dan

    Dan_track, Apr 8, 2006
  4. Dan_track

    Scooby Guest

    "Dan_track" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > But how do I restore the vlan to all teh switches. Is it simple enough
    > to copy the vlan.dat to all the switches. Lets say I backup only one
    > switch, will it's vlan/dat work for all switches?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dan

    Dan,

    I suppose this may work if you are not running vtp. However, if you have a
    lot of switches and are running vtp, that could be a messy solution. My
    personal preference is to use a couple vtp servers and the rest clients. If
    a client switch dies, you can replace it and the new switch will pick up the
    vlan info. If a server dies, you can install a new one as client and then
    change it to server after it receives the info. Hopefully, you won't have
    all the vtp servers die at the same time. It wouldn't hurt to keep a copy
    of the vlan.dat from one of the vtp servers "Just in case".

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Dan_track

    Dan_track Guest

    Hi Jim
    Thanks for your advice. I basically inherited the switch and the
    current condition is that you have a few switches in vtp mode, with one
    vtp server, while the other majority is in standalone mode. Would it be
    difficult to change the other swithes into vtp client mode? what
    commands would I need to execute.

    BTW my switches are a 3524/3548 models.

    Thanks
    Dan

    Dan_track, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Dan_track

    Scooby Guest

    "Dan_track" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Jim
    > Thanks for your advice. I basically inherited the switch and the
    > current condition is that you have a few switches in vtp mode, with one
    > vtp server, while the other majority is in standalone mode. Would it be
    > difficult to change the other swithes into vtp client mode? what
    > commands would I need to execute.
    >
    > BTW my switches are a 3524/3548 models.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dan

    From global config, just do 'vtp mode client'. BTW - I always put a domain
    'vtp domain <domain name>' on mine as well, just in case one gets plugged in
    to protect from overwriting my vlans.

    ALWAYS set a switch to client mode before plugging it into your network
    (unless you want it to be transparent). Then, once the the switch has
    received the other vlans, you can set to server if you like.

    Just a thought - I haven't used those particular models. I'm speaking from
    an IOS perspective. Are those CatOS?

    Jim

    Scooby, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Dan_track

    Dan_track Guest

    Hi Jim,

    Thanks for reply.To be frank I didn't know there were to OS's. How can
    I tell?

    When I did "sh ver" the second line starts with ISO and its version is
    12.0(5)WC2, does this mean I'm using ISO and not CatOS?

    Thanks
    Dan

    Dan_track, Apr 11, 2006
  8. Dan_track

    BernieM Guest

    "Scooby" <> wrote in message
    > "Dan_track" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Jim
    >> Thanks for your advice. I basically inherited the switch and the
    >> current condition is that you have a few switches in vtp mode, with one
    >> vtp server, while the other majority is in standalone mode. Would it be
    >> difficult to change the other swithes into vtp client mode? what
    >> commands would I need to execute.
    >>
    >> BTW my switches are a 3524/3548 models.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Dan
    >>

    > From global config, just do 'vtp mode client'. BTW - I always put a
    > domain 'vtp domain <domain name>' on mine as well, just in case one gets
    > plugged in to protect from overwriting my vlans.
    >
    > ALWAYS set a switch to client mode before plugging it into your network
    > (unless you want it to be transparent). Then, once the the switch has
    > received the other vlans, you can set to server if you like.
    >
    > Just a thought - I haven't used those particular models. I'm speaking
    > from an IOS perspective. Are those CatOS?
    >
    > Jim

    Just a heads up on the domain ... if you're using DTP (dynamic trunking
    protocol) both end of the trunk need to be in the same domain. This applies
    even when VTP is not being used.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Apr 11, 2006