    or

    2) info on how to backup the registry without the use of any sort of special
    backup program

    The Babaloughesian, Feb 27, 2005

  2. The Babaloughesian

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "The Babaloughesian" <> wrote in message
    >I have XP Home. And the virus backdoor.nibu.e. In order to remove this
    > virus, I must remove some registry entries. It has been recommended that
    > before doing this, I backup the registry just in case. However, I do not
    > have the Backup Utility, and I was not given an installation CD (XP came
    > pre-installed) , so I cannot manually install the BU. So what I'm
    > looking
    > for is either of the following:
    >
    > 1) an alternate backup program and step by step instructions on how to use
    > it to backup the registry
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2) info on how to backup the registry without the use of any sort of
    > special
    > backup program

    Open the registry editor (winkey+r, run, type "Regedit" <cr>). On the "File"
    menu, select "Export". At the bottom of the "Save" dialog box, you have
    radio buttons in front of two "Export Range" options: All, or Selected
    branch. Select "All", give it a file name in the File Name line, and press
    Save. Done.

    Actually, you might be better off with Win XP making a System Restore Point.
    Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and follow
    the directions.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 27, 2005

  3. The Babaloughesian

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Open the registry editor (winkey+r, run, type "Regedit" <cr>). On the "File"
    > menu, select "Export". At the bottom of the "Save" dialog box, you have
    > radio buttons in front of two "Export Range" options: All, or Selected
    > branch. Select "All", give it a file name in the File Name line, and press
    > Save. Done.

    You'd think that it'd just be one click item that would
    autosave/autoname to lets say C:\regback\regback.001 etc.

    eg run regedit, hit the backup button.

    Plato, Feb 27, 2005
  4. The Babaloughesian

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Baba - Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
    scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
    Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject

    This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
    occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
    done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
    previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
    write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
    Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
    drivers, after which you can do a normal ERDNT restore. If you make your
    backup into a folder inside your Windows or Winnt folder, you can restore at
    a Recovery Console boot by copying the files from that ERDNT folder into the
    system32\config one. After a good boot, then do another normal ERDNT
    restore to also restore the user hives.) (BTW, it also includes a Registry
    defragger program). Free, and very, very highly recommended.

    FYI, quoting from the above document:

    Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
    complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
    (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
    exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
    one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
    registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

    BTW, FYI courtesy of Ezine @rticles.com:

    "Install the Backup Utility
    Windows XP Home Edition doesn't install the Backup utility by default.
    You'll need to install it manually from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

    1. After inserting the CD-ROM, open Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs"
    utility. In the "Add or Remove Programs" utility", click on the "Add New
    Programs" button, then click on the "CD or Floppy" button.

    2. In the "Run Installation Program" dialog box that appears, navigate to
    the VALUEAD/MSFT/NTBACKUP folder on the CD-ROM and select the file
    NTBACKUP.MSI. Click on the "Finish" button. The Backup utility will be
    installed."

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    The Babaloughesian <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Feb 27, 2005
  5. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "The Babaloughesian" <> wrote in message
    > >I have XP Home. And the virus backdoor.nibu.e. In order to remove this
    > > virus, I must remove some registry entries. It has been recommended

    that
    > > before doing this, I backup the registry just in case. However, I do

    not
    > > have the Backup Utility, and I was not given an installation CD (XP came
    > > pre-installed) , so I cannot manually install the BU. So what I'm
    > > looking
    > > for is either of the following:
    > >
    > > 1) an alternate backup program and step by step instructions on how to

    use
    > > it to backup the registry
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 2) info on how to backup the registry without the use of any sort of
    > > special
    > > backup program
    > >

    > Open the registry editor (winkey+r, run, type "Regedit" <cr>). On the

    "File"
    > menu, select "Export". At the bottom of the "Save" dialog box, you have
    > radio buttons in front of two "Export Range" options: All, or Selected
    > branch. Select "All", give it a file name in the File Name line, and press
    > Save. Done.
    >
    > Actually, you might be better off with Win XP making a System Restore

    Point.
    > Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and follow
    > the directions.

    Wow, I didn't think it'd be that simple. Thanks.

    The Babaloughesian, Feb 27, 2005
  6. The Babaloughesian

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> Open the registry editor (winkey+r, run, type "Regedit" <cr>). On the
    >> "File"
    >> menu, select "Export". At the bottom of the "Save" dialog box, you have
    >> radio buttons in front of two "Export Range" options: All, or Selected
    >> branch. Select "All", give it a file name in the File Name line, and
    >> press
    >> Save. Done.

    > You'd think that it'd just be one click item that would
    > autosave/autoname to lets say C:\regback\regback.001 etc.
    >
    > eg run regedit, hit the backup button.

    Would be nice, but then it *was* written by Microsoft <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 27, 2005
  7. The Babaloughesian

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "The Babaloughesian" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have XP Home. And the virus backdoor.nibu.e. In order to remove this
    >> > virus, I must remove some registry entries. It has been recommended

    > that
    >> > before doing this, I backup the registry just in case. However, I do

    > not
    >> > have the Backup Utility, and I was not given an installation CD (XP
    >> > came
    >> > pre-installed) , so I cannot manually install the BU. So what I'm
    >> > looking
    >> > for is either of the following:
    >> >
    >> > 1) an alternate backup program and step by step instructions on how to

    > use
    >> > it to backup the registry
    >> >
    >> > or
    >> >
    >> > 2) info on how to backup the registry without the use of any sort of
    >> > special
    >> > backup program
    >> >

    >> Open the registry editor (winkey+r, run, type "Regedit" <cr>). On the

    > "File"
    >> menu, select "Export". At the bottom of the "Save" dialog box, you have
    >> radio buttons in front of two "Export Range" options: All, or Selected
    >> branch. Select "All", give it a file name in the File Name line, and
    >> press
    >> Save. Done.
    >>
    >> Actually, you might be better off with Win XP making a System Restore

    > Point.
    >> Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and
    >> follow
    >> the directions.

    > Wow, I didn't think it'd be that simple. Thanks.

    You're welcome :eek:)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 27, 2005
  8. Thank you!

    The Babaloughesian, Feb 27, 2005