    software would automate the process so it'd fill one DVD then ask for the
    next one and know where it left off. Does this exist?
    WC
    WCH, Aug 9, 2004

  2. WCH

    °Mike° Guest

    Just burn them as data disks, using whatever backup/
    burning software that you use -- even Windows XP
    can do it for you ("Open Writable CD Folder").

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:49:23 GMT, in
    <DOORc.274968$Oq2.249614@attbi_s52>
    WCH scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 9, 2004

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Yeah, I can make that work, but I was hoping to automate the process with
    some "disk-spanning" software or something so I can just drop the whole 30GB
    music folder into the utility and it'll "do the match" and prompt for every
    new DVD. Making data DVDs, so far as I can tell, means making every 4.xGB
    file group yourself and tracking what's been done and what's left. Not hard
    to do, but inartful.
    WC

    WCH, Aug 9, 2004
  4. WCH

    °Mike° Guest

    A quick look on Google brings up this (first hit):
    http://www.handybackup.net/backup-to-cd.shtml

    I haven't used it, so don't know how effective it is.

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:25:50 GMT, in
    <OkPRc.276577$XM6.170003@attbi_s53>
    WCH scrawled:

    >Yeah, I can make that work, but I was hoping to automate the process with
    >some "disk-spanning" software or something so I can just drop the whole 30GB
    >music folder into the utility and it'll "do the match" and prompt for every
    >new DVD. Making data DVDs, so far as I can tell, means making every 4.xGB
    >file group yourself and tracking what's been done and what's left. Not hard
    >to do, but inartful.
    >WC

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 9, 2004
  5. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Thanks for the lead. HandyBackup, like comparable products, generates
    proprietary backup files that require its software to be installed on any
    computer that you want to be able to read its backups. That's why I'm
    looking for something that generates "plain" files, to avoid that obstacle.
    But I gave up and just started using Nero to fill each DVD one at a time,
    manually tracking what's been backup and what hasn't. I get the plain MP3
    files but forego the automatic disk spanning. Life is compromise.
    WC

    WCH, Aug 9, 2004
  6. WCH

    °Mike° Guest

    Perhaps it's a lesson to back up your files *before*
    the number grows so large?

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:21:48 GMT, in
    <g9QRc.119272$eM2.42089@attbi_s51>
    WCH scrawled:

    >Thanks for the lead. HandyBackup, like comparable products, generates
    >proprietary backup files that require its software to be installed on any
    >computer that you want to be able to read its backups. That's why I'm
    >looking for something that generates "plain" files, to avoid that obstacle.
    >But I gave up and just started using Nero to fill each DVD one at a time,
    >manually tracking what's been backup and what hasn't. I get the plain MP3
    >files but forego the automatic disk spanning. Life is compromise.
    >WC

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 9, 2004
  7. WCH

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > I've got about 5000 MP3 files on a hard drive. Looks like about 30gigs
    > worth. I'd like to back them up onto DVDs for safe keeping. I know

    there's
    > software that can convert them into PROPRIETARY files, but is there

    software
    > that will just dump them onto as many DVDs as it takes and keep the

    contents
    > readable as MP3 files if I insert them in another computer? Ideally this
    > software would automate the process so it'd fill one DVD then ask for the
    > next one and know where it left off. Does this exist?
    > WC

    if you don't mind learning vbs and autoit, you can write a simple script to
    read the dir and automate the burn process with autoit. i'm in the middle of
    archiving photos, so you will have to "google" autoit and vbs for dummies.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Aug 10, 2004