    Is it possible to back up this ancient cfs2 cdrom?

    If so, can you point me to the software that would do it on Windows xp?

    NOTE: I'm not sure what group to post this question to (please advise).
    James H., Jul 19, 2010

  2. James H.

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "James H." wrote:

    > How can I copy (backup) my ancient set of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator
    > 2 (WWII Pacific Theater) cdrom discs?
    >
    > These cdrom disks must be a decade old by now, and I want my kid to use 'em
    > (if they were good enough for me ... ).
    >
    > I want to back up the one disk that needs to be in the computer.
    >
    > Is it possible to back up this ancient cfs2 cdrom?
    >
    > If so, can you point me to the software that would do it on Windows xp?
    >
    > NOTE: I'm not sure what group to post this question to (please advise).

    I would suggest, in your case, trying something like clonecd
    http://clonecd.slysoft-inc.qarchive.org/

    I haven't used any of this stuff for a while though so use at your own
    risk :O)

    --
    Paul (we break easy)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jul 19, 2010

  3. On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:21:23 -0700, "James H." <>
    wrote:

    >How can I copy (backup) my ancient set of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator
    >2 (WWII Pacific Theater) cdrom discs?
    >
    >These cdrom disks must be a decade old by now, and I want my kid to use 'em
    >(if they were good enough for me ... ).
    >
    >I want to back up the one disk that needs to be in the computer.
    >
    >Is it possible to back up this ancient cfs2 cdrom?
    >
    >If so, can you point me to the software that would do it on Windows xp?
    >
    >NOTE: I'm not sure what group to post this question to (please advise).

    Just buy him the new MS Flight Sim Version ten deluxe, yada yada yada.

    You have to be pretty cheap to want to foist decade old software onto a
    kid just because you thought it was cool when you had it, and do not want
    to spend a bunch of money on new gear and new titles. Heheh.. :)
    Just pokin' ya in the ribs... :)

    Anyway, you use CD/DVD burning software to "rip" an image of the disk,
    and then use the same software to burn the ripped copy.

    Better to just buy an old, first gen Xbox, and that really cool kids
    bi-wing flight sim. In fact, Xbox first gen had some really cool kid
    games.

    You want to educate and entertain your kid, buy an old Xbox.

    That way, you haven't laid out hundreds or thousands of dollars, you
    have only spent a couple or few hundred,AND they are pretty cool systems,
    after all.

    Naaa... do whatever you want.

    What you should NEVER do is place your optical disks on a surface. That
    way, they never get scratched, and never lose data. Your burned copies
    eventually will.

    Want long term, home burned archives? Used DVD RAM media. 30 year
    lifespan.

    Otherwise, the original media has the best lifespan, one must simply
    refrain from handling them poorly.
    My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do, Jul 19, 2010
  4. James H.

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Java Jive wrote:

    > After long experience of having CDs and DVDs, especially the xxx-RW
    > varieties, eventually become unplayable, even when well looked after,
    > I have come to the conclusion that the only safe back-up is having at
    > least two copies. As HDs seem to be more reliable than many modern
    > makes of CD-R(W) or DVD-R(W), at least one of the copies should be on
    > HD.
    >
    > For CDs and DVDs, that means making a *.iso file using something like
    > ImgBurn ...
    > http://www.imgburn.com/
    > ... and testing that it can actually be written successfully back to
    > an xxx-RW.
    >
    > Also, for the disks that you use every day, particularly audio CDs
    > used in the car, use copies instead, and lock the originals away
    > safely.

    I agree entirely, specially anything which other people might handle!

    Paul Heslop, Jul 19, 2010
  5. James H.

    James H. Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:20:34 +0100, Java Jive wrote:
    > For CDs and DVDs, that means making a *.iso file using something like
    > ImgBurn ...

    I downloaded the image burn application and I like it because it's small
    and I love the technical output log information & the fact it provides the
    media ID of the blank CDROM.

    However, the MS CFS2 set won't copy with ImgBurn.

    One disc copies fine but the other has some sort of protection on it. This
    disc is more than a decade old so by now I would have thought there is
    backup software available for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2, which is
    no longer sold so I need to back up what I have.

    Pretty much I need a bit-for-bit copy program, if that exists.
    James H., Jul 19, 2010
  6. James H.

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <i21oke$391$>,
    James H. <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:20:34 +0100, Java Jive wrote:
    >> For CDs and DVDs, that means making a *.iso file using something like
    >> ImgBurn ...

    >I downloaded the image burn application and I like it because it's small
    >and I love the technical output log information & the fact it provides the
    >media ID of the blank CDROM.
    >
    >However, the MS CFS2 set won't copy with ImgBurn.
    >
    >One disc copies fine but the other has some sort of protection on it. This
    >disc is more than a decade old so by now I would have thought there is
    >backup software available for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2, which is
    >no longer sold so I need to back up what I have.
    >
    >Pretty much I need a bit-for-bit copy program, if that exists.

    Google for "Raw CD Copy 2.1"
    It's old, so many of the download links will be dead but probably at least
    one will work.
    Mike S., Jul 19, 2010
  7. James H.

    GMAN Guest

    In article <i21oke$391$>, "James H." <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:20:34 +0100, Java Jive wrote:
    >> For CDs and DVDs, that means making a *.iso file using something like
    >> ImgBurn ...

    >I downloaded the image burn application and I like it because it's small
    >and I love the technical output log information & the fact it provides the
    >media ID of the blank CDROM.
    >
    >However, the MS CFS2 set won't copy with ImgBurn.
    >
    >One disc copies fine but the other has some sort of protection on it. This
    >disc is more than a decade old so by now I would have thought there is
    >backup software available for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2, which is
    >no longer sold so I need to back up what I have.
    >
    >Pretty much I need a bit-for-bit copy program, if that exists.

    Like an earlier poster stated, look for a copy of CloneCD

    or try this software,

    Blindwrite

    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/Blindwrite/blindwrite.php

    "Blindwrite, your ultimate game copy software back up tool! BlindWrite
    extracts all the characteristics of your media to your harddrive to reproduce
    a working copy of your media. It allows you to protect your investments
    against damage caused by children, scratches or by frequent use. Your personal
    CD or DVD backups can even be run directly from your computer using a virtual
    drive (i.e. Daemon Tools). Blind write's Game Copy Software supports a large
    number of formats and is regularly updated to support the latest technology.
    Combined with CopyToDVD, it is a complete set of software for all your backup
    needs: data files, 1:1 CD/DVD backups, audio CDs from music files and DVD
    movies. A must-have!

    Blind Write supports all popular CD/DVD writers and handles every available
    DVD format (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD-R
    Dual Layer)."

    There is a demo of the software you can download. Then to purchase it, its
    only $20.
    GMAN, Jul 19, 2010
  8. James H.

    Pandemonium Guest

    My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:21:23 -0700, "James H."<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> How can I copy (backup) my ancient set of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator
    >> 2 (WWII Pacific Theater) cdrom discs?
    >>
    >> These cdrom disks must be a decade old by now, and I want my kid to use 'em
    >> (if they were good enough for me ... ).
    >>
    >> I want to back up the one disk that needs to be in the computer.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to back up this ancient cfs2 cdrom?
    >>
    >> If so, can you point me to the software that would do it on Windows xp?
    >>
    >> NOTE: I'm not sure what group to post this question to (please advise).

    > Just buy him the new MS Flight Sim Version ten deluxe, yada yada yada.
    >
    > You have to be pretty cheap to want to foist decade old software onto a
    > kid just because you thought it was cool when you had it, and do not want
    > to spend a bunch of money on new gear and new titles. Heheh.. :)
    > Just pokin' ya in the ribs... :)
    >
    > Anyway, you use CD/DVD burning software to "rip" an image of the disk,
    > and then use the same software to burn the ripped copy.
    >
    > Better to just buy an old, first gen Xbox, and that really cool kids
    > bi-wing flight sim. In fact, Xbox first gen had some really cool kid
    > games.
    >
    > You want to educate and entertain your kid, buy an old Xbox.
    >
    > That way, you haven't laid out hundreds or thousands of dollars, you
    > have only spent a couple or few hundred,AND they are pretty cool systems,
    > after all.
    >
    > Naaa... do whatever you want.
    >
    > What you should NEVER do is place your optical disks on a surface. That
    > way, they never get scratched, and never lose data. Your burned copies
    > eventually will.
    >
    > Want long term, home burned archives? Used DVD RAM media. 30 year
    > lifespan.
    >
    > Otherwise, the original media has the best lifespan, one must simply
    > refrain from handling them poorly.

    You sure waste an awful lot of space saying nothing.
    Pandemonium, Jul 19, 2010
  9. On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:34:21 -0700, Pandemonium
    <> wrote:

    >You sure waste an awful lot of space saying nothing.

    You sure know how to show the world that you are a goddamned idiot.

    DVD-RAM is the most reliable media.

    The rest was so far over your head that you actually think this
    horseshit response you gave will mask your obvious stupidity.
    My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do, Jul 20, 2010
  10. James H.

    Pandemonium Guest

    My Name Is Archtard babbled:

    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:34:21 -0700, Pandemonium
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> You sure waste an awful lot of space saying nothing.

    > You sure know how to show the world that you are a goddamned idiot.
    >
    > DVD-RAM is the most reliable media.
    >
    > The rest was so far over your head that you actually think this
    > horseshit response you gave will mask your obvious stupidity.

    Shouldn't you be at ComiCon dressed as your favorite Star Wars character picking up on young boys?
    Pandemonium, Jul 23, 2010
  11. James H.

    Uwe Kotyczka Guest

    On 19 Jul., 16:47, "James H." <> wrote:
    > Pretty much I need a bit-for-bit copy program, if that exists.

    Did you check IsoBuster?
    Uwe Kotyczka, Aug 16, 2010
  12. On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 03:20:03 -0700 (PDT), Uwe Kotyczka
    <> wrote:

    >On 19 Jul., 16:47, "James H." <> wrote:
    >> Pretty much I need a bit-for-bit copy program, if that exists.

    >Did you check IsoBuster?

    Rotsa ruck.
    MeowSayTongue, Aug 20, 2010