How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bambam@nospam.tnx, May 8, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.

    Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.

    No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    credit card.

    Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
    that little piece of information .... or is there a way to get the
    free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.

    Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.

    Any help appreciated.

    Ken

    , May 8, 2009

  2. sittingduck Guest

    wrote:

    > Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    > games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
    >
    > Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    > information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
    >
    > No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    > credit card.
    >
    > Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
    > that little piece of information .... or is there a way to get the
    > free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.
    >
    > Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    You are too paranoid, and too stupid for technology.
    Take it back, or ask your kid how to use the internet.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
    No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

    sittingduck, May 8, 2009

  3. richard Guest

    On Thu, 07 May 2009 21:16:16 -0600, wrote:

    >Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    >games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
    >
    >Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    >information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
    >
    >No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    >credit card.
    >
    >Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
    >that little piece of information .... or is there a way to get the
    >free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.
    >
    >Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.
    >
    >Any help appreciated.
    >
    >Ken

    Which is why I don't have an Ipod. To get it to work, you can only get
    music from itunes, via credit card.
    And any time you want something from itunes, a credit card is
    required.

    While it may be mp3 stuff, the only way you can use itunes supplied
    stuff is through their licensing crapola. Now if they mention that to
    the sucker, I mean customer, the sucker ain't gonna buy.

    Just get yourself a regular mp3 player that isn't connected to apple.

    richard, May 8, 2009
  4. Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 07 May 2009 21:16:16 -0600, wrote:

    >Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    >games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
    >
    >Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    >information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.

    Time to get him a credit card? Or let him use yours?

    >No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    >credit card.

    So when you go to a restaurant, do you always pay cash?

    >Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
    >that little piece of information .... or is there a way to get the
    >free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.
    >
    >Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.

    They also neglected to tell you that you'd need to open the box. They
    also neglected to tell you you'd need to plug in the itouch every so
    often to charge it....

    Sheesh.

    Sue em.

    Evan Platt, May 8, 2009
  5. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 May 2009 21:16:16 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    >>games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
    >>
    >>Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    >>information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.

    > Time to get him a credit card? Or let him use yours?

    Ouch. That might hurt deep, where the purse sits.

    >>No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    >>credit card.

    > So when you go to a restaurant, do you always pay cash?

    I didn't look for the country of the OP, but credit cards are not as
    widespread everywhere, as in the US. Here in Old Europe, as an example, we
    have teller cards with ATMs around every corner or bank entrance. Most
    supermarkets and gas stations do have ATM capable counters (just enter the
    card and your pincode to pay).
    We can also pay anonymously with the chips on the cards chargeable from the
    ATMs, at most supermarkets or even ticket machines. In restaurants, at least
    giving perquisite is common - of course as real money. Therefore, paying as
    well.
    A 15yr old son may already have his own (limited) bank account, or at least
    a money (atm preloadable) card.

    wisdomkiller & pain, May 8, 2009
  6. Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 08 May 2009 08:09:52 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    >I didn't look for the country of the OP, but credit cards are not as
    >widespread everywhere, as in the US. Here in Old Europe, as an example, we
    >have teller cards with ATMs around every corner or bank entrance. Most
    >supermarkets and gas stations do have ATM capable counters (just enter the
    >card and your pincode to pay).
    >We can also pay anonymously with the chips on the cards chargeable from the
    >ATMs, at most supermarkets or even ticket machines. In restaurants, at least
    >giving perquisite is common - of course as real money. Therefore, paying as
    >well.
    >A 15yr old son may already have his own (limited) bank account, or at least
    >a money (atm preloadable) card.

    OP appears to be in Canada. Them Kanuks have credit cards, I'd hope.

    Evan Platt, May 8, 2009
  7. VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    > games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
    >
    > Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    > information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
    >
    > No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    > credit card.
    >
    > Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
    > that little piece of information .... or is there a way to get the
    > free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.
    >
    > Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Ken

    If you have a credit card company that has a feature of letting you
    assign temporary card numbers to your account where you can set the max
    value that can be charged and an expiration date, use that. MBNA (now
    Bank of America) has their ShopSafe service. You go online to your
    credit card issuer's web site, use their shopsafe service or whatever
    they call it if they have it, and generate a new temporary card number.
    All charges to it are issued against your real account but the one
    making the charges never gets your real credit card number plus they are
    limited to how much they can charge and for how long. I can create a
    temp card number (and its own 3-digit CV2 code), specify a max value
    that can be charged to that card (minimum is $1), and an expiration date
    (minimum is 2 months). So when I order something online, I use a temp
    card number and set the max charge value to a couple dollars more than
    the total cost of the item (be sure to include shipping charges). That
    is my total exposure for theft by that card number but then the vendor
    is the first one to charge so my vulnerability is just a couple of
    dollars (since I want to ensure the online sale goes through, I add a
    couple dollars).

    Barring that, go to Walmart, Target, or whatever retails stores are in
    your Canada region and buy a pre-paid charge card. You probably have to
    buy in fixed increments the value of the card but you do limit your
    financial liability when doling out that card number to someone online.
    Plus you keep your own personal credit card number away from the online
    vendor.

    In any case, it is likely the credit card info is being used to ensure a
    parent is involved in the games transfer. Somewhere it probably
    stipulates that a legal adult must be involved in the "sale".

    Printer companies make little money from the sale of their printers.
    They make the money from the sale of the disposables (i.e., toner and
    ink cartridges). Apple probably doesn't care much about the profits of
    the sales for their iPods (they did at first when they needed to
    financially rescue their failing company). They make their money off
    the sale of the tunes. Both the printers and iPods are "carriers" for
    the sales of continued services.

    What did the kid want the iPod for? Just where is he going to get the
    music or games to play on it? Ka-ching, ka-ching! Better go get that
    pre-paid charge card for your kid. He will need it to continue enjoying
    his iPod. You are his financial support system until he gets a job.

    VanguardLH, May 8, 2009
  8. walter Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    >> games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
    >>
    >> Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    >> information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
    >>
    >> No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    >> credit card.
    >>
    >> Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
    >> that little piece of information ....

    I would, but that's just me.

    >> or is there a way to get the
    >> free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.

    Probably, but not legally.

    Oh **** me! Why would the OP do that after having written;

    "No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    credit card."

    Are you and 'Mike Easter' the same person?

    I ask because you both tend to go off on like 4KB tangents disregarding OP's
    original questions.

    walter, May 8, 2009
  9. Guest

    Re: How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...resolution

    Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
    was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
    know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
    may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.

    I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
    easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
    easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
    hold a couple of thousand tunes.

    My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
    out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
    was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
    we'd not have bought.

    Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
    without using a credit card. We have credit cards ... and we use
    them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
    to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
    use.

    ken

    , May 8, 2009
  10. Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, wrote:

    >Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
    >was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
    >know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
    >may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.
    >
    >I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
    >easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
    >easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
    >hold a couple of thousand tunes.

    And it's also a way of 'verifying' who is doing the buying.

    One customer of ours uses it to 'verify' who someone is for an hour of
    free internet per day. Each credit card can be used once in a day for
    one hour of internet. Of course, if someone has 24 credit cards, they
    can use the internet 24/7 (minus the time it takes them to register),
    so.. But same theory too.

    >My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
    >out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
    >was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
    >we'd not have bought.

    Wow. So return it. And tell them why. You're making a mountain out of
    a molehill. No, they didn't tell you EVERYTHING.

    >Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
    >without using a credit card.

    Umm... that would be me.

    >We have credit cards ... and we use them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
    >to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
    >use.

    "No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    credit card."

    So.. I guess dinner is OK, but $1 for a game for your son isn't?

    Teach your son some responsibility. Add the credit card to his
    account. Then if you find he's bought songs from iTunes on it, he owes
    you.

    Evan Platt, May 8, 2009
  11. VanguardLH Guest

    walter wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
    >>> games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
    >>>
    >>> Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
    >>> information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
    >>>
    >>> No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    >>> credit card.
    >>>
    >>> Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
    >>> that little piece of information ....

    > I would, but that's just me.
    >
    >>> or is there a way to get the
    >>> free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.

    > Probably, but not legally.
    >
    >>> Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.
    >>> Any help appreciated.

    >> If you have a credit card company that has a feature of letting you
    >> assign temporary card numbers to your account where you can set the
    >> max value that can be charged and an expiration date, use that.

    > Oh **** me! Why would the OP do that after having written;
    >
    > "No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    > credit card."
    >
    > Are you and 'Mike Easter' the same person?
    >
    > I ask because you both tend to go off on like 4KB tangents disregarding OP's
    > original questions.

    What is so difficult for you to understand that a *temp* card number is
    NOT your true credit card number. The OP said she didn't want to give
    out her credit card number. By using the shopsafe scheme, she won't.
    So I answered her question. You, on the other hand, are just a lonely
    troll childishly wanting to garner attention while exhibiting your
    ignorance and inability to read.

    VanguardLH, May 9, 2009
  12. VanguardLH Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
    >>without using a credit card.
    >>We have credit cards ... and we use them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
    >>to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
    >>use.

    > "No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
    > credit card."
    >
    > So.. I guess dinner is OK, but $1 for a game for your son isn't?
    >
    > Teach your son some responsibility. Add the credit card to his
    > account. Then if you find he's bought songs from iTunes on it, he owes
    > you.

    Sometimes the kids are smarter than their parents. I suspect the kid is
    better equipped mentally and better educated than mom in finding how to
    buy prepaid credit cards or find a credit issuer that lets the card
    owner establish limits and spending quotas. Alas, mom might have to
    spend the kid's allowance to buy the kid a pre-paid card or open the
    limited and managed credit account for the kid.

    VanguardLH, May 9, 2009
  13. richard Guest

    Re: How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...resolution

    On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, wrote:

    >Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
    >was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
    >know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
    >may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.
    >
    >I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
    >easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
    >easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
    >hold a couple of thousand tunes.
    >
    >My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
    >out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
    >was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
    >we'd not have bought.
    >
    >Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
    >without using a credit card. We have credit cards ... and we use
    >them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
    >to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
    >use.
    >
    >ken

    One possible solution.
    Set up a bank account just for him with a bank that will offer a check
    card. He can then use the card as he needs to.

    You might also want to look at gift cards that itunes will accept.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/giftcards/itunes/gallery
    I believe most walmarts and walgreens sell them.

    I just clicked on one link from google that sent me to a page on
    apple.com, which insisted you need to install itunes. Clicking on any
    other link does the same thing. That kind of "selling the company"
    tactics I don't buy. Just turns me off.

    richard, May 9, 2009
  14. richard Guest

    Re: How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...resolution

    On Fri, 08 May 2009 14:37:30 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
    >>was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
    >>know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
    >>may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.
    >>
    >>I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
    >>easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
    >>easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
    >>hold a couple of thousand tunes.

    >And it's also a way of 'verifying' who is doing the buying.
    >
    >One customer of ours uses it to 'verify' who someone is for an hour of
    >free internet per day. Each credit card can be used once in a day for
    >one hour of internet. Of course, if someone has 24 credit cards, they
    >can use the internet 24/7 (minus the time it takes them to register),
    >so.. But same theory too.
    >
    >>My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
    >>out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
    >>was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
    >>we'd not have bought.

    >Wow. So return it. And tell them why. You're making a mountain out of
    >a molehill. No, they didn't tell you EVERYTHING.
    >
    >>Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
    >>without using a credit card.

    >Umm... that would be me.

    That's what Evan is. A smart ass know nothing.

    Hell, I don't have one credit card to my name and don't want the damn
    things.
    I use a check card which draws directly out of my bank account.
    No monthly interest fees and the store gets paid directly.
    I can check my balance and statements online any time I need to.
    If I have a problem, I call the bank's 800 24/7 number and get it
    solved while on the phone. Can you do that with a credit card?

    richard, May 9, 2009
  15. Evan Platt Guest

    Re: How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...resolution

    On Fri, 08 May 2009 20:38:29 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >One possible solution.
    >Set up a bank account just for him with a bank that will offer a check
    >card. He can then use the card as he needs to.
    >
    >You might also want to look at gift cards that itunes will accept.
    >http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/giftcards/itunes/gallery
    >I believe most walmarts and walgreens sell them.

    Great advice - that others have already given.

    >I just clicked on one link from google that sent me to a page on
    >apple.com, which insisted you need to install itunes. Clicking on any
    >other link does the same thing. That kind of "selling the company"
    >tactics I don't buy. Just turns me off.

    What 'link' was that?

    Evan Platt, May 9, 2009
  16. zvnteq7 Guest

    wrote:
    > Got my son an Ipod Touch.<snip>

    first mistake

    go to www.anythingbutipod.com and get a better sounding player

    get drm free music from www.emusic.com among others... I think
    Amazon.com mp3s are DRM free now?

    zvnteq7, May 9, 2009
  17. Evan Platt Guest

    Re: How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...resolution

    On Fri, 08 May 2009 20:46:26 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >That's what Evan is. A smart ass know nothing.

    LOL.. That's why I prove your dumb ass wrong just about every post you
    make, and why YOU are the one known as Richard The Stupid?

    Dumbfuck.

    >Hell, I don't have one credit card to my name and don't want the damn
    >things.

    Good for you.

    >I use a check card which draws directly out of my bank account.
    >No monthly interest fees and the store gets paid directly.
    >I can check my balance and statements online any time I need to.
    >If I have a problem, I call the bank's 800 24/7 number and get it
    >solved while on the phone. Can you do that with a credit card?

    Yes.

    Evan Platt, May 9, 2009
  18. Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >That's what Evan is. A smart ass know nothing.

    You gonna bring back one of your sock puppets to back you up on that?

    Where's your proof of the '300 people share the same IP' crap?

    Notice when I bring these things up, among others, you drop out and
    stop replying?

    You've even got a Wiki entry on how f'in stupid you are.

    http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Richard_Bullis

    Now go away, dumbass.

    Evan Platt, May 9, 2009
  19. Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, May 9, 2009
  20. G. Morgan Guest

    wrote:

    > I doubted there
    >was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
    >know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
    >may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.

    So what was the solution?

    I would just get him a prepaid MC/VISA and load it with a small amount. You
    can re-charge some of the pre-paid cards too.

    G. Morgan, May 9, 2009