How to assign an ICC color profile to a scanner in OS X?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by isw, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. isw

    isw Guest

    Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.

    Isaac
    isw, Jul 18, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. isw

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    isw <> wrote:

    > Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    > manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    > way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.


    You can set the default profile per-device in the ColorSync Utility
    program. It's in /Applications/Utilities. Run it, click on the 'Devices'
    icon at the top of the window, select your scanner, and give it a
    profile.

    Ideally, though, you'd be using the scanner's own driver (rather than,
    say, Image Capture), which should give you an option for final output
    profile.

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html
    Paul Mitchum, Jul 18, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. isw

    Roy G Guest

    "isw" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    > manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    > way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.
    >
    > Isaac


    Hi.

    A number of people prefer to scan without a profile, and then "Assign" the
    Profile in Photoshop's "Mismatched Profile" Dialogue box and "Convert" to
    Working Space Profile, when importing the scanned Image.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Jul 18, 2007
    #3
  4. isw

    isw Guest

    In article <1i1f233.1qyg79shgg02N%0m>,
    0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:

    > isw <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    > > manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    > > way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.

    >
    > You can set the default profile per-device in the ColorSync Utility
    > program. It's in /Applications/Utilities. Run it, click on the 'Devices'
    > icon at the top of the window,


    So far so good, but right here:

    > select your scanner,


    there are no scanners to select. Monitors and printers, yes, but no
    scanners.

    > and give it a profile.


    That's what I'm trying to do. A whole list of Microtek profiles is
    available under "Profiles", but I don't know how to get any of them to
    show up in "Devices".

    > Ideally, though, you'd be using the scanner's own driver (rather than,
    > say, Image Capture), which should give you an option for final output
    > profile.


    Well, if it does, I haven't figured out how. Anybody using "ScanWizard
    5"?

    What I need, of course, is at least three profiles: positive and
    negative transparencies, and reflective.

    Isaac
    isw, Jul 18, 2007
    #4
  5. isw

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    isw <> wrote:

    > In article <1i1f233.1qyg79shgg02N%0m>,
    > 0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
    >
    > > isw <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    > > > manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    > > > way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.

    > >
    > > You can set the default profile per-device in the ColorSync Utility
    > > program. It's in /Applications/Utilities. Run it, click on the 'Devices'
    > > icon at the top of the window,

    >
    > So far so good, but right here:
    >
    > > select your scanner,

    >
    > there are no scanners to select. Monitors and printers, yes, but no
    > scanners.


    Then you don't have one. :) You've installed drivers from the
    manufacturer, right?

    > > and give it a profile.

    >
    > That's what I'm trying to do. A whole list of Microtek profiles is
    > available under "Profiles", but I don't know how to get any of them to
    > show up in "Devices".


    It's like I said: You get the *scanner* to show up in 'Devices,' and
    then you *assign* it a profile.

    > > Ideally, though, you'd be using the scanner's own driver (rather than,
    > > say, Image Capture), which should give you an option for final output
    > > profile.

    >
    > Well, if it does, I haven't figured out how. Anybody using "ScanWizard
    > 5"?
    >
    > What I need, of course, is at least three profiles: positive and
    > negative transparencies, and reflective.


    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html
    Paul Mitchum, Jul 18, 2007
    #5
  6. isw wrote:
    > Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    > manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    > way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.
    >
    > Isaac


    You can calibrate your scanner yourself and get an ICC profile, but most
    times it's provided by the manufacturer and autmatically installed. You
    can then select it in teh preferences menu of your scanner's software...
    many times the hardware is also meant to use ICC's like AdobeRGB or
    AppleRGB.

    Normally the ICC file is located in your driver disc.

    If you want to do it by hand there are IT8.7 calibration targets for
    scanners and cameras, some free, some not (but quite inexpensive):

    www.coloraid.de

    In this URL you can also find calibration programs. I havn't tryed to
    run any on OS X yet, as my scanner provides it's own ICC and I'm
    actually quite happy. But perhaps I do just for the fun of playing around :)
    Enric Martinez, Jul 18, 2007
    #6
  7. isw

    isw Guest

    In article <469e7032$0$5522$2.nl>,
    Enric Martinez <> wrote:

    > isw wrote:
    > > Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    > > manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    > > way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.
    > >
    > > Isaac

    >
    > You can calibrate your scanner yourself and get an ICC profile,


    I have profiles; the manufacturer provided them.

    > but most
    > times it's provided by the manufacturer and autmatically installed. You
    > can then select it in teh preferences menu of your scanner's software...


    As I already said, they are there, but I cannot select them. That is the
    problem.

    Isaac
    isw, Jul 19, 2007
    #7
  8. isw

    isw Guest

    In article <1i1g48n.7ag9kaicxa4gN%0m>,
    0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:

    > isw <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1i1f233.1qyg79shgg02N%0m>,
    > > 0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
    > >
    > > > isw <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Does anybody know? I have a list of profiles, supplied by the
    > > > > manufacturer, but I can't get any of them assigned to the scanner the
    > > > > way my monitor calibration is assigned to the monitor.
    > > >
    > > > You can set the default profile per-device in the ColorSync Utility
    > > > program. It's in /Applications/Utilities. Run it, click on the 'Devices'
    > > > icon at the top of the window,

    > >
    > > So far so good, but right here:
    > >
    > > > select your scanner,

    > >
    > > there are no scanners to select. Monitors and printers, yes, but no
    > > scanners.

    >
    > Then you don't have one. :) You've installed drivers from the
    > manufacturer, right?


    Yes, I did.

    > > > and give it a profile.

    > >
    > > That's what I'm trying to do. A whole list of Microtek profiles is
    > > available under "Profiles", but I don't know how to get any of them to
    > > show up in "Devices".

    > It's like I said: You get the *scanner* to show up in 'Devices,' and
    > then you *assign* it a profile.


    I agree. Now exactly HOW do I do that?

    > > > Ideally, though, you'd be using the scanner's own driver (rather than,
    > > > say, Image Capture), which should give you an option for final output
    > > > profile.


    Microtek's driver "ScanWizard", will not allow me to select any of the
    profiles they provided and installed along with the driver.

    Any other suggestions?

    Isaac
    isw, Jul 19, 2007
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. peter

    icc profile for Ilford smooth glossy paper

    peter, Sep 23, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,637
    Andrew
    Sep 24, 2003
  2. Josh

    Color Profile, ICC, sRGB?????

    Josh, Jan 17, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    2,421
    Joe Makowiec
    Jan 17, 2005
  3. *istDS ICC color profile

    , Mar 21, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    416
    Stacey
    Mar 22, 2005
  4. Bill Hilton

    Re: *istDS ICC color profile

    Bill Hilton, Mar 21, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    436
    Stacey
    Mar 22, 2005
  5. Lynn
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    797
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Sep 8, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page