    each person's name so that 20 years from now, I'd still know who is who.

    photoshop PSD format comes close in that it can contain vector or bitmap
    layers. However, they are not compressed and takes a lot of space.
    peter, Jul 17, 2004

  2. have u tried irfanview?

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    news:LUeKc.4827$...
    > Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

    firmly
    > attached to the photo?
    >
    > I use acdsee 3 and it allows adding a comment; however, the comment is
    > stored in an external file which can get separated from the photo. Jpeg

    file
    > has a field for storing exposure info; I don't want to overwrite that.
    >
    > Is there a standard/proposed file format that not only stores a compressed
    > photo, but also an additional layer of vector/text based annotation plus
    > another layer of bitmap based annotation (the layers can be turned on/off
    > when viewing)? For example, if I have a group photo, I might want to

    label

    Arte Phacting, Jul 17, 2004

  3. There is a "user comment" field in the EXIF metadata. I seem to remember PS7
    would allow you to save that info inside of the jpg.

    You might want to do a search on EXIF metadata editors. Alternatively you
    could store the data in the copyright field.

    Robert Mooers, Jul 17, 2004
  4. peter wrote:

    >Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information firmly
    >attached to the photo?

    how is EXIF attached?? however that is done is what needs to be further
    developed. also, I would like to see Copyright info stored here also and then
    locked with the photo. if you download the pix, you get the whole thing, if you
    try to view it and cannot see the Copy and the EXIF, etc then you cannot view
    the image. compressed as a smaller TIF !!

    fwiw
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Jul 18, 2004
  5. peter

    peter Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

    firmly
    > attached to the photo?

    by firmly attached, I mean when the file is moved or copied, the annotation
    would come with it. This means the annotation needs to be stored in the same
    file as the photo.
    peter, Jul 18, 2004
  6. "peter" <> writes:

    > "peter" <> wrote in message

    >> Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation
    >> information firmly attached to the photo?

    > by firmly attached, I mean when the file is moved or copied, the annotation
    > would come with it. This means the annotation needs to be stored in the same
    > file as the photo.

    You're looking for IPTC information. Photoshop and IrfanView and
    every other vaguely modern image program will let you put information
    into them.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 18, 2004
  7. In article <LUeKc.4827$>,
    says...
    > Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information firmly
    > attached to the photo?

    Both EXIF and IPTD data is embedded within the image data file. Just like
    an e-mail can contain header information and the body text, certain image
    file formats can have all kinds of extra data embedded within them that
    is not the picture data. There are lots of utilities to edit that data.
    Most image database software will edit it as well. Google for 'EXIF
    edit' and 'IPTD edit' or something like that.
    Grant Robertson, Jul 19, 2004
  8. peter

    Pepe Guest

    Hi,
    Try this one: http://www.fotostation.com/
    Very handy for what you need.
    And also make web gallery for easy use.

    Pepe

    Pepe, Jul 23, 2004
  9. peter

    Paul H. Guest

    "peter" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to annotate photos and have the annotation information

    firmly
    > attached to the photo?
    >
    > I use acdsee 3 and it allows adding a comment; however, the comment is
    > stored in an external file which can get separated from the photo. Jpeg

    file
    > has a field for storing exposure info; I don't want to overwrite that.
    >
    > Is there a standard/proposed file format that not only stores a compressed
    > photo, but also an additional layer of vector/text based annotation plus
    > another layer of bitmap based annotation (the layers can be turned on/off
    > when viewing)? For example, if I have a group photo, I might want to

    label
    > each person's name so that 20 years from now, I'd still know who is who.
    >
    > photoshop PSD format comes close in that it can contain vector or bitmap
    > layers. However, they are not compressed and takes a lot of space.

    Irfanview, the freeware image viewer, lets you embed "IPTC" data within the
    file. Download and install the version with all plug-ins from
    www.irfanview.com. You'll like it, I'm sure.

    Possible caveat: I've heard a very, very few people complain on this group
    about Irfanview not running properly on their particular systems. All I can
    say is that I've installed Irfanview with home-built, OEM, and major-brand
    (Dell and Gateway) systems running Win98, Win98SE, Win Me, and Windows XP
    using both Athlon and Intel processors and I've never had a problem with the
    program, nor have any of the other people to whom I've recommended it.
    Pictures saved under Irfanview load seamlessly into every editor I've used,
    including those from Adobe, Jasc, and Microsoft.
    Paul H., Jul 23, 2004
  10. peter

    a.n.other Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Paul H. wrote:

    >Irfanview, the freeware image viewer, lets you embed "IPTC" data within the
    >file. Download and install the version with all plug-ins from
    >www.irfanview.com. You'll like it, I'm sure.
    >
    >Possible caveat: I've heard a very, very few people complain on this group
    >about Irfanview not running properly on their particular systems. All I can
    >say is that I've installed Irfanview with home-built, OEM, and major-brand
    >(Dell and Gateway) systems running Win98, Win98SE, Win Me, and Windows XP
    >using both Athlon and Intel processors and I've never had a problem with the
    >program, nor have any of the other people to whom I've recommended it.
    >Pictures saved under Irfanview load seamlessly into every editor I've used,
    >including those from Adobe, Jasc, and Microsoft.

    I like irfanview as well. However, one thing I'm never sure about is if,
    when doing this kind of thing and then saving the picture, you aren't in
    any danger of running into problems due to recompression are you?

    a.n.other, Jul 24, 2004
  11. peter

    Tim Smith Guest

    On my Linux system, I simply right-click on the photo in Konqueror (the KDE
    equivalent of Explorer), and select "Properties" from the context menu.
    That has a "Meta Info" tab, and on that tab it displays the EXIF data, and
    has an edit box for the comments.

    I'm surprised that Windows (and OS X, for that matter) don't have something
    similar.

    --
    --Tim Smith
    Tim Smith, Jul 24, 2004
  12. peter

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    a.n.other <> wrote:

    > I like irfanview as well. However, one thing I'm never sure about is if,
    > when doing this kind of thing and then saving the picture, you aren't in
    > any danger of running into problems due to recompression are you?

    I don't know anything about that specific program, but embedding annotations
    should not involve recompressing the image, no.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Jul 24, 2004
  13. peter

    Paul H. Guest

    "a.n.other" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Paul H. wrote:
    >
    > >Irfanview, the freeware image viewer, lets you embed "IPTC" data within

    the
    > >file. Download and install the version with all plug-ins from
    > >www.irfanview.com. You'll like it, I'm sure.

    <snip>
    > I like irfanview as well. However, one thing I'm never sure about is if,
    > when doing this kind of thing and then saving the picture, you aren't in
    > any danger of running into problems due to recompression are you?

    I don't believe the jpeg is recompressed when the IPTC data is written to
    the file. I just checked this by making a copy of a photo and writing IPTC
    data to the copy. I then loaded the original into Photoshop and made a new
    layer into which I pasted the copy. Setting the blending mode to
    "Difference" yielded a completely black image, demonstrating no difference
    between copy and original photos.
    Paul H., Jul 24, 2004