How to add printer to home wireless network?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by joeu2004@hotmail.com, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
    to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
    an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".

    I have a printer connected to the desktop PC. I would
    like to be able to send documents to the printer from
    my wireless laptop as well as from the desktop PC.

    Ideally, I do not want to have to rely on my desktop PC
    as a print server. I want to be able to print from my
    wireless laptop when the desktop PC is turned off.

    Also ideally, I would like to be able to print from the
    desktop PC using the wired network connection. I do not
    want to have to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop PC.

    First, is the ideal topology feasible? What components
    would I need in order to make it work? What is the price
    range, in general?

    If the ideal topology is prohibitive, is it feasible to
    rely on the desktop PC as a print server If so, what
    components or software would I need in order to make that
    work? If you think my OS already has the necessary
    software, what built-in software would I be depending on?

    Both the desktop PC and the laptop have MS Win XP Pro.
    , Jul 14, 2005

  2. DanR Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
    > to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
    > an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".
    >
    > I have a printer connected to the desktop PC. I would
    > like to be able to send documents to the printer from
    > my wireless laptop as well as from the desktop PC.
    >
    > Ideally, I do not want to have to rely on my desktop PC
    > as a print server. I want to be able to print from my
    > wireless laptop when the desktop PC is turned off.

    Get a stand alone print server.

    > Also ideally, I would like to be able to print from the
    > desktop PC using the wired network connection. I do not
    > want to have to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop PC.
    >
    > First, is the ideal topology feasible? What components
    > would I need in order to make it work? What is the price
    > range, in general?

    I've found that print servers are seldom on sale. Shop around.

    > If the ideal topology is prohibitive, is it feasible to
    > rely on the desktop PC as a print server If so, what
    > components or software would I need in order to make that
    > work? If you think my OS already has the necessary
    > software, what built-in software would I be depending on?

    You should be able to print through the desktop right now. From your desktop
    machine goto your printer properties and select "Share this printer". From your
    laptop select "add printer". Select "from network". Browse to printer via
    network and select it. If you have problems check any firewall settings. If you
    are using the XP firewall you should have SP2 and allow file and printer
    sharing. If you still have problems... have you set up a "home network"?

    DanR, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Clark Guest

    If you are using wireless security, make sure the print server will also.
    The one I presently have will not do WPA, but will do WEP.

    Clark
    Clark, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
    > to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
    > an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".
    >
    > I have a printer connected to the desktop PC. I would
    > like to be able to send documents to the printer from
    > my wireless laptop as well as from the desktop PC.
    >
    > Ideally, I do not want to have to rely on my desktop PC
    > as a print server. I want to be able to print from my
    > wireless laptop when the desktop PC is turned off.
    >
    > Also ideally, I would like to be able to print from the
    > desktop PC using the wired network connection. I do not
    > want to have to buy a wireless NIC for the desktop PC.
    >
    > First, is the ideal topology feasible? What components
    > would I need in order to make it work? What is the price
    > range, in general?
    >
    > If the ideal topology is prohibitive, is it feasible to
    > rely on the desktop PC as a print server If so, what
    > components or software would I need in order to make that
    > work? If you think my OS already has the necessary
    > software, what built-in software would I be depending on?
    >
    > Both the desktop PC and the laptop have MS Win XP Pro.

    As DanR says, wireless printer servers are not often on sale and also
    are not particularly cheap. Depending on your printing needs, you might
    check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316010&pfp=SEARCH
    and perhaps a bit cheaper elsewhere. This is a very nice inkjet printer
    with built-in wireless b/g printer server. It's rated at 30 ppm b&w and
    20 ppm color (that's in the lowest-res draft mode, of course). I have
    two of these, one at home and one in the office, and we're very pleased
    with them.

    I also have a LaserJet 1300 connected via USB to one of the PCs on my
    wireless network. I can print to this either from that PC or from a
    laptop connected via the wireless router. The only catch is that the PC
    has to be "awake" to permit printing. There is no such catch with the
    DJ6840 -- as long as it's powered on, you can print to it via a wireless
    connection.
    Lem, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
    > > to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
    > > an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".

    > [....]
    > Depending on your printing needs, you might
    > check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
    > [...]. This is a very nice inkjet printer
    > with built-in wireless b/g printer server.

    Thanks for the pointer. And forgive me if my next question seems
    naive, but .... Can such a printer work in an "infrastructure"
    type wireless network, or only in an "ad hoc" type?

    By the way, I do use WPA Passphrase on my network.
    , Jul 15, 2005
  6. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a home wireless network with a desktop PC wired
    >>>to a Linksys router. The wireless network is set up as
    >>>an "infrastructure" type, not "ad hoc".

    >>[....]
    >>Depending on your printing needs, you might
    >>check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
    >>[...]. This is a very nice inkjet printer
    >>with built-in wireless b/g printer server.

    > Thanks for the pointer. And forgive me if my next question seems
    > naive, but .... Can such a printer work in an "infrastructure"
    > type wireless network, or only in an "ad hoc" type?
    >
    > By the way, I do use WPA Passphrase on my network.

    The printer works with both infrastructure and ad hoc modes. In fact,
    at home I've got it connected to the router in infrastructure mode, and
    at the office -- which is not wifi capable -- I've got the second
    printer set up in ad hoc mode to talk directly to the laptop.

    As for security, the ad hoc mode is only capable of WEP security. The
    infrastructure mode is capable of WPA-PSK with either AES or TKIP
    encryption. I'm getting to the edge of my current knowledge, but as I
    understand it, WPA-PSK with AES is almost, but not quite, WPA2. I've
    currently got a pending question to HP support asking if the DJ 6800
    series will support WPA2 (probably not as is) and if HP has plans to
    update the driver to do that.
    Lem, Jul 15, 2005
  7. Lem Guest

    Lem wrote:

    > wrote:

    > >>[....]
    > >>Depending on your printing needs, you might
    > >>check out the HP 6840, currently $180 at CompUSA
    > >>[...]. This is a very nice inkjet printer
    > >>with built-in wireless b/g printer server.

    > > Thanks for the pointer. And forgive me if my next question seems
    > > naive, but .... Can such a printer work in an "infrastructure"
    > > type wireless network, or only in an "ad hoc" type?
    > >
    > > By the way, I do use WPA Passphrase on my network.
    > >

    > The printer works with both infrastructure and ad hoc modes. In fact,
    > at home I've got it connected to the router in infrastructure mode, and
    > at the office -- which is not wifi capable -- I've got the second
    > printer set up in ad hoc mode to talk directly to the laptop.
    >
    > As for security, the ad hoc mode is only capable of WEP security. The
    > infrastructure mode is capable of WPA-PSK with either AES or TKIP
    > encryption. I'm getting to the edge of my current knowledge, but as I
    > understand it, WPA-PSK with AES is almost, but not quite, WPA2. I've
    > currently got a pending question to HP support asking if the DJ 6800
    > series will support WPA2 (probably not as is) and if HP has plans to
    > update the driver to do that.

    Although it might be clear, I forgot to mention that my desktop, like
    yours, is connected via Ethernet cable to my Linksys router, and I have a
    laptop that connects to the router wirelessly. The desktop can print to
    the LaserJet (via USB) and to the DJ6800 (wirelessly). The laptop can
    print (wirelessly) to the LaserJet (if the desktop is on) and to the
    DJ6800.
    Lem, Jul 15, 2005
  8. Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > Although it might be clear, I forgot to mention that my desktop,
    > like yours, is connected via Ethernet cable to my Linksys router,
    > and I have a laptop that connects to the router wirelessly. The
    > desktop can print to the LaserJet (via USB) and to the DJ6800
    > (wirelessly).

    I am afraid this added some confusion when you say that your
    desktop prints to the DJ6800 "wirelessly". I suspect (hope)
    you misspoke.

    Since you said that your desktop connects to the Linksys
    router over a wired Ethernet cable, this confusion can be
    disposed of very easily by answering the following question.

    Do you also have a wireless interface card in your desktop PC?

    I presume "no".

    I presume that the DJ6800 has an IP address, and you configure
    your printer on your desktop PC as a network printer, just as
    it is configured on your laptop. Right?

    Thanks again for information. It has been very helpful.
    , Jul 17, 2005
  9. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >
    >>Although it might be clear, I forgot to mention that my desktop,
    >>like yours, is connected via Ethernet cable to my Linksys router,
    >>and I have a laptop that connects to the router wirelessly. The
    >>desktop can print to the LaserJet (via USB) and to the DJ6800
    >>(wirelessly).

    > I am afraid this added some confusion when you say that your
    > desktop prints to the DJ6800 "wirelessly". I suspect (hope)
    > you misspoke.
    >
    > Since you said that your desktop connects to the Linksys
    > router over a wired Ethernet cable, this confusion can be
    > disposed of very easily by answering the following question.
    >
    > Do you also have a wireless interface card in your desktop PC?
    >
    > I presume "no".
    >
    > I presume that the DJ6800 has an IP address, and you configure
    > your printer on your desktop PC as a network printer, just as
    > it is configured on your laptop. Right?
    >
    > Thanks again for information. It has been very helpful.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    No, I don't have a wireless interface in the desktop.

    The connection from the desktop pc to the DJ6800 is:

    Desktop-->ethernet cable-->router-->wireless-->DJ6800

    I don't recall how I set up the printer on the desktop. Looking at
    "printer properties" (on the desktop pc) shows that the DJ6800 is not
    "shared." On the "Ports" tab of printer properties, "port" is listed as
    "Deskjet6800" (rather than, e.g., LPT1 or USB001) with a "description"
    of "HP Standard TCP/IP Port."

    The printer report page (printed using the buttons on the printer
    itself), as well as my router, show that the printer has an assigned IP
    address. I use that IP in my browser to access the printer's
    configuration utility. I suspect that somewhere in the depths of WinXP
    the system also uses that IP address to do the actual printing, but it
    all happens automagically. If I recall correctly, it was not necessary
    to know the IP address to connect the printer.

    I suspect the printer properties on the laptop are the same, but I can't
    verify right now.
    Lem, Jul 17, 2005
  10. Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > Sorry for the confusion.
    > No, I don't have a wireless interface in the desktop.
    > The connection from the desktop pc to the DJ6800 is:
    > Desktop-->ethernet cable-->router-->wireless-->DJ6800

    As I expected. Thanks again.
    , Jul 18, 2005