    I set it up? Hardwire it to the existing router?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jdguay, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Jdguay

    Tee Jay Guest

    Jdguay wrote:
    > Hi,
    > This maybe a stupid question however I can't find a direct answer online
    > anywhere. I have a wireless router. It supports four wireless devices.
    > With Christmas coming, I am sure more devices will be arriving. Do I
    > need to just purchase another wireless router to add more access
    > points? How do I set it up? Hardwire it to the existing router?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeff

    What router? (model number) As Far As I Know wireless would be unlimited
    and the 4 devices refers to wired ports in the back of router. A
    wireless signal is a radio wave and you should have as many devices
    connecting as you want.
    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Jdguay

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <8iW1j.4735$r81.2804@trndny05>, Jdguay
    <> scribeth thus
    >Hi,
    >This maybe a stupid question however I can't find a direct answer online
    >anywhere. I have a wireless router. It supports four wireless devices.
    >With Christmas coming, I am sure more devices will be arriving. Do I need
    >to just purchase another wireless router to add more access points? How do
    >I set it up? Hardwire it to the existing router?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jeff

    In general..

    No you should be able to drive a few hundred devices from that all
    routers have a Wan side that connects to the net and a LAN side with a
    start address of something like 192.168.1.1 and then they go up to .255
    from there.

    Assuming your router is set up like that 'tho some restrict the numbers
    and it also depends whether you have the DHCP set on thats the bit that
    automatically issued address to each machine.

    Course the more devices the more the available net bandwidth is shared
    out!..

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Jdguay

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Tee Jay
    <> scribeth thus
    >Jdguay wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> This maybe a stupid question however I can't find a direct answer online
    >> anywhere. I have a wireless router. It supports four wireless devices.
    >> With Christmas coming, I am sure more devices will be arriving. Do I
    >> need to just purchase another wireless router to add more access
    >> points? How do I set it up? Hardwire it to the existing router?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jeff
    >>

    >What router? (model number) As Far As I Know wireless would be unlimited
    >and the 4 devices refers to wired ports in the back of router. A
    >wireless signal is a radio wave and you should have as many devices
    >connecting as you want.
    > Tee Jay

    Up to the LAN address range limits!..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Jdguay

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Jdguay" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > This maybe a stupid question however I can't find a direct answer online
    > anywhere. I have a wireless router. It supports four wireless devices.
    > With Christmas coming, I am sure more devices will be arriving. Do I need
    > to just purchase another wireless router to add more access points? How
    > do I set it up? Hardwire it to the existing router?

    Your home usage router will support 255 wired, 255 wireless or 255 a
    combination or wired and wireless computers using the router.

    If you take a standalone hub(s) or switch(s) and plug them into a LAN port
    or ports on the router, then you can daisy chain hubs and switches that
    would be like (30 something hubs and switches daisy chained with computers
    connected to them on all their ports), until you have 255 wired computers
    using the router. You're never going the hit a usage count limitation with
    the wired or wireless connections on the router to even be concerned with
    it, in your situation. <g>

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 24, 2007