How to activate Remote Assistance with XP using Windows Live Messenger

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by Oziisr, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. Oziisr

    Oziisr

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hello,
    If below information helps you, please let me know, as I will then know that I have helped someone. The text below is a reply to a query I sent to Windows Messenger.
    Thanks,
    Oziisr.

    Based on the information that I received, I understand that you cannot establish Remote Assistance with your contacts and you recently installed Windows Live Messenger.In addition to that you had removed Windows Messenger from your computer I certainly understand how inconvenient that would be. Please know that I will do my best to help you out with your concern.

    It is possible that the Port 3389 might be blocked your firewall or you and your contact might be behind a router that does not forward the request to the correct computer.

    To correct this issue you will need to verify if you have an Internet Connection firewall that blocks your connection. Disabling your Internet Connection firewall might also help in correcting this issue. Please make sure that you and your contact perform the steps provided. Kindly follow these steps:

    1. Both computers must be running Windows Vista, Windows XP or Windows Server 2003.

    2. Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 users must have the latest version of Windows Messenger to use Remote Assistance. Windows Vista does not require the latest version of Windows Messenger.

    . Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 users

    Visit the following web site to find the latest version of Windows Messenger and install the latest version if an earlier version is found on your computer or if Windows Messenger is not installed:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774&DisplayLang=en

    3. Follow these steps to verify that you have Internet Connection Firewall or Windows Firewall enabled:

    . Windows Vista users

    a. Click Start, type firewallsettings.exe , and then press ENTER.

    b. In the Windows Firewall Setting dialog box, if On is selected on the General tab, Windows Firewall is enabled.

    . Windows XP Service Pack 1 users

    a. Click Start, click Run, type CONTROL ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.

    b. In the Network Connections window, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

    c. Click the Advanced tab. If the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box is selected, Internet Connection Firewall is enabled on the computer.

    . Windows XP Service Pack 2

    a. Click Start, click Run, type CONTROL firewall.cpl , and then click OK.

    b. In the Windows Firewall Setting window, if On is selected on the General tab, Windows Firewall is enabled.

    4. If you have Windows Firewall or Internet Connection Firewall enabled, follow these steps to make sure that port 3389 is open through the firewall:

    . Windows Vista users

    a. Click Start, type firewallsettings.exe , and then press ENTER.

    b. In the Windows Firewall Setting dialog box, on the General tab. Make sure that the On option is selected, and the Block all incoming connections check box is cleared.

    c. On the Exceptions tab, make sure that the Remote Desktop check box is selected. If the Remote Desktop check box is not available, follow these steps:

    a. Click Add port.

    b. In the Add a Port dialog box, type a port name in the Name field, type 3389 in the Port number field, click the TCP option, and then click OK.

    c. Click OK.

    . Windows XP Service Pack 1 users

    a. Click Start, click Run, type CONTROL ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.

    b. In the Network Connections window, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.

    c. Click the Advanced tab.

    d. Make sure that the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box is selected. If this check box is not selected, go to step 4 .

    e. In the Advanced Settings window, click Settings, and then make sure that the Remote Desktop check box is selected.

    f. Click OK two times to save and close the Local Area Connections window.

    . Windows XP Service Pack 2

    a. Click Start, click Run, type CONTROL Firewall.cpl , and then click OK.

    b. In the Windows Firewall dialog box, click the General tab. Make sure that Windows Firewall is On, and that the Don't Allow Exceptions check box is cleared.

    c. Click the Exceptions tab, and then make sure that the Remote Desktop check box is selected. If the Remote Desktop check box is not available, follow these steps:

    a. Click Add Port.

    b. In the Add a Port dialog box, type a port name in Name, type 3389 in Port number, click TCP, and then click OK.

    For more information about how to set up an exception through the Windows Firewall, visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfexceptions.mspx .

    d. Click OK.

    5. If you are using a third-party firewall, make sure that TCP port 3389 is open through the firewall. See the firewall manufacturer's documentation for information about how to set up the firewall, and then verify that the port is open through the firewall.

    6. To make sure that the computers that you and your contact use have the appropriate settings for Remote Assistance, follow these steps:

    . Windows Vista users

    a. Click Start, type CONTROL Sysdm.cpl , and then press ENTER.

    b. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Remote tab, and then make sure that the Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer check box is selected.

    c. Click Advanced, and then make sure that the Allow this computer to be controlled remotely check box is selected.

    d. Click OK.

    . Windows XP

    a. Click Start, click Run, type CONTROL Sysdm.cpl , and then click OK.

    b. In the System Properties window, click Remote, and then make sure that the Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer check box is selected.

    c. Click Advanced, and then make sure that the Allow this computer to be controlled remotely check box is selected.

    d. Click OK.

    7. Windows XP users should also visit the following Web site, and then and follow the steps under "To Enable and configure Solicited Remote Assistance" to make sure that Remote Assistance can be set up:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306496/

    8. If both the sender and the receiver are behind a Network Address Translation (NAT) device that is not a Upnp device, Remote Assistance will not work. To identify how you are connected through Messenger, click Options on the Tools menu, and then click Connection. The Connection Status shows how you are connected through Messenger. If both you and your contact are connected through a non-UPnP device, Remote Assistance will not work.

    I hope these steps resolve your concern with Windows Live Messenger. However, if these steps would not resolve the issue you are encountering, please reply back to us and give the details of what had happened when you performed the steps provided.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
    Oziisr, Feb 1, 2008