how to access the innards of a WAG354G

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RJK, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. RJK

    RJK Guest

    ....sorry for this not really being a wireless question but, after perusing
    MS NG's names that contain the string networking ,I can't spot a more
    suitable one.

    I tried to connect my WAG354 to my brothers PC, (at a different
    location/home address, where ISP and user account name and password etc. are
    different), with all the wrong settings in it i.e. I'd been using it as a
    dumb router at my house with gateway address set to 192.168.1.2 DHCP set to
    off.
    ....and at his house, with it connected to his PC, I couldn't access it's
    internal menus using his IE7 web browser. Is this because it couldn't
    connect to his ISP because the settings stored in it were wrong, or should I
    have been able to get in there and change them, ...using it's gateway
    address. ...i.e. not a clue how all this works ?

    I had a quick fiddle when I brought it home, and re-discovered that the cd
    that came with the WAG354G has a utility on it for uploading to the router
    ADSL line settings / user account name and password etc.

    ....was just interested in knowing whether I should have been able to use his
    IE7 web browser to access it's internal menus using the gateway address
    stored in it, AND, of course, whilst it cannot connect to his adsl/broadband
    supplier because the "wrong" account details (mine) were stored in it.

    TIA regards, Richard

    RJK, Aug 8, 2007

  2. RJK

    Jim Guest

    "RJK" <> wrote in message
    > ...sorry for this not really being a wireless question but, after perusing
    > MS NG's names that contain the string networking ,I can't spot a
    > more suitable one.
    >
    > I tried to connect my WAG354 to my brothers PC, (at a different
    > location/home address, where ISP and user account name and password etc.
    > are different), with all the wrong settings in it i.e. I'd been using it
    > as a dumb router at my house with gateway address set to 192.168.1.2 DHCP
    > set to off.
    > ...and at his house, with it connected to his PC, I couldn't access it's
    > internal menus using his IE7 web browser. Is this because it couldn't
    > connect to his ISP because the settings stored in it were wrong, or should
    > I have been able to get in there and change them, ...using it's gateway
    > address. ...i.e. not a clue how all this works ?
    >
    > I had a quick fiddle when I brought it home, and re-discovered that the cd
    > that came with the WAG354G has a utility on it for uploading to the router
    > ADSL line settings / user account name and password etc.
    >
    > ...was just interested in knowing whether I should have been able to use
    > his IE7 web browser to access it's internal menus using the gateway
    > address stored in it, AND, of course, whilst it cannot connect to his
    > adsl/broadband supplier because the "wrong" account details (mine) were
    > stored in it.
    >
    > TIA regards, Richard

    You should be able to logon to the router using its local LAN address. For
    example, my local lan uses 192.168.x.x. I logon to the router by entering
    192.168.1.1 in IE.
    Your problem is probably caused by the router having an incorrect
    username/password for your ISP.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 8, 2007

  3. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Thanks Jim,

    With hindsight, and if I had taken the Linksys cd with me, I suspect that I
    could have forced required settings and his account details etc. into it.
    ....and after digging out the Linksys leaflets I discovered the reset button
    has to be held in for 20 seconds, ..or was it 30 seconds or more, to reset
    the thing. I tried to reset it while I was there but, only gave it a quick
    prod, thinking that would do it. Oh well, one lives and learns.
    In any event, I left him set up with my old Orange Speedtouch 330 USB adsl
    modem, so that he could use his new adsl internet connection. His Tiscali
    (Sagem) modem arrived the day after my visit and, he's uninstalled my 330,
    and installed the new Tiscali/Sagem adsl modem, to discover that his
    connection speed remains the same 1.1mbps
    He was unsure as to whether he had subscribed to that connection speed or a
    faster one.
    I was unsure as to whether my old Speedtouch 330 supported connection faster
    than that, though a distant bell tells me that when I connect that 330 to my
    "up to" 8mbps adsl line, (I measured it a while ago and I actually get
    approx. 4.5mbps download speed), it reported 2.2mbps but, that could have
    been in the past when I was "free upgraded" to 2.2mbps, ...so perhaps the
    Speedtouch could go even faster ! ...could the innards of the 330 have been
    upgraded since those years ago or would it have a new model no?
    ....anyhooo, I know that the adsl modem in my WAG354G supports something like
    10mbps incoming speeds, so that was why I briefly tried to connect it to my
    brothers PC to try and determine determine his reported connection speed
    ....to cut this long boring story short, he found his Tiscali paperwork and
    has indeed subscribed to 1meg download speed, so he could have left my old
    Speeedtouch 330 connected !!!
    ....though perhaps the Sagem sucks less juice than the massive half an amp
    that the Speedtouch 330 requires, out of the USB port !!!
    ....had people in the past with Asus motherboards with Via chipsets that
    couldn't provide enough juice to Speedtouch 330's and would prevent the PC
    from booting up. Powered USB hub didn't fix it either if memory serves.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Aug 8, 2007