How to abort repair operation

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TGlicmFyeSBTeXNhZG1pbg==?=, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. Had my home PC set up for dual booting with XP x64 on 1st hard drive and
    openSUSE 10.2 on second hard drive.

    Updated the BIOS and SUSE wouldn't boot, having problems reading file system
    on hard drive. Repair attempts to SUSE from DVD didn't work. Tried to
    reinstall SUSE, which also didn't work. The grub loader now had an error on
    boot, which meant I couldn't boot Windows, either.

    I'd read on a forum post that you can run the repair option on Windows
    install CD to fix the MBR so Windows would boot again. Attempted this and
    repair operation hung up.

    I found another forum post, describing how to manually fix the MBR from
    Recovery Console. I did this and system starts the 'Loading Windows XP x64'
    screen, but then repair operation wants to continue.

    Have made at least a dozen attempts at finishing the repair operation. All
    of them hit a Stop error at some point. Several times it died on the Install
    Devices. Several times it died at the Registering Components point. None of
    the Stop errors give any specific driver that is failing. I've had Bad Pool
    erros a couple times; IRQ Not Less than... a couple times; most of the time
    there is no reason listed - just a Stop error 7E or C2.

    Is there any way to abort the repair operation?
    Seems to me that all the files are there and I could start fixing any
    problems if I could get it to start.

    TIA
    Rick

    Also, in case an MS personnel are peeking in...
    Why does a "repair" operation actually seem to be trying to reinstall?
    Should't "repair" be looking for corrupt files and fixing those - or telling
    you which files are corrupt so you could possilby fix these manually in the
    Recovery Console?
    Why do you have to enter your product key again in a repair operation? The
    product is already installed. I shouldn't need to enter the key again.
    If you must endure endless Stop errors, why can't the error routine tell you
    what it was trying to install when the failure occurred?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGlicmFyeSBTeXNhZG1pbg==?=, Feb 24, 2007

  2. On Feb 25, 3:35 am, Library Sysadmin
    <> wrote:
    > Had my home PC set up for dual booting with XP x64 on 1st hard drive and
    > openSUSE 10.2 on second hard drive.
    >
    > Updated the BIOS and SUSE wouldn't boot, having problems reading file system
    > on hard drive. Repair attempts to SUSE from DVD didn't work. Tried to
    > reinstall SUSE, which also didn't work. The grub loader now had an error on
    > boot, which meant I couldn't boot Windows, either.
    >
    > I'd read on a forum post that you can run the repair option on Windows
    > install CD to fix the MBR so Windows would boot again. Attempted this and
    > repair operation hung up.
    >
    > I found another forum post, describing how to manually fix the MBR from
    > Recovery Console. I did this and system starts the 'Loading Windows XP x64'
    > screen, but then repair operation wants to continue.
    >
    > Have made at least a dozen attempts at finishing the repair operation. All
    > of them hit a Stop error at some point. Several times it died on the Install
    > Devices. Several times it died at the Registering Components point. None of
    > the Stop errors give any specific driver that is failing. I've had Bad Pool
    > erros a couple times; IRQ Not Less than... a couple times; most of the time
    > there is no reason listed - just a Stop error 7E or C2.
    >
    > Is there any way to abort the repair operation?
    > Seems to me that all the files are there and I could start fixing any
    > problems if I could get it to start.
    >
    > TIA
    > Rick
    >
    > Also, in case an MS personnel are peeking in...
    > Why does a "repair" operation actually seem to be trying to reinstall?
    > Should't "repair" be looking for corrupt files and fixing those - or telling
    > you which files are corrupt so you could possilby fix these manually in the
    > Recovery Console?
    > Why do you have to enter your product key again in a repair operation? The
    > product is already installed. I shouldn't need to enter the key again.
    > If you must endure endless Stop errors, why can't the error routine tell you
    > what it was trying to install when the failure occurred?

    After the BIOS upgrade did you clear (reset) NVRAM? Sometimes a BIOS
    upgrade has problems with existing cached information from earlier
    levels and needs a reset.

    It sounds like you might want to first downgrade your BIOS to the
    level when everything worked, see how it goes then, and leave it alone
    if working - unless you had problems that a BIOS upgrade was "supposed
    to fix".

    Computerflyer, Feb 24, 2007

  3. "Computerflyer" wrote:

    > After the BIOS upgrade did you clear (reset) NVRAM? Sometimes a BIOS
    > upgrade has problems with existing cached information from earlier
    > levels and needs a reset.
    >
    > It sounds like you might want to first downgrade your BIOS to the
    > level when everything worked, see how it goes then, and leave it alone
    > if working - unless you had problems that a BIOS upgrade was "supposed
    > to fix".

    Yes, I did reset the NVRAM after the BIOS upgrade.
    Yesterday, I did try to downgrade the BIOS, but the problems persist.

    I'm currently getting Stop Error 51 - Registry _Error during the repair
    attempts.

    Something else I wondered about - in either the Recovery Console or from the
    CD-ROM install disk, is there a way to use your restore points and reset the
    sytem back to one of those?

    TIA
    Rick

    =?Utf-8?B?TGlicmFyeSBTeXNhZG1pbg==?=, Feb 25, 2007
  4. I found a forum that led me to this MS KB article;

    This worked for me, allowing me to start the OS again.
    From there, I started checking which drivers needed reinstalled. In my
    case, reloading the Nvidia Video and Audio drivers resolved most of the
    outstanding issues. There are a couple of minor issues to resolve with
    drivers, still, that are being reported in the Event Log.

    The only other major issue for me is that the Acrobat Reader is at version
    8, while the restore point still has this listed as 7.09. Add/Remove
    Programs cannot remove Adobe 7.09 and the version 8 installer fails, saying
    that the previous version needs to be uninstalled, first.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGlicmFyeSBTeXNhZG1pbg==?=, Feb 26, 2007