How the he11 do I stop my broadband?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jimi, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Jimi

    Jimi Guest

    Hi all, I'm moving to Australia for work (The local exchange where I am
    working has 24Mbit ADSL too...) so I would like my broadband cut off on the
    21st of April, not before, not after.

    So I contacted Orcon and said "I want my broadband cut off on the 21st of
    April"

    I received the following

    =====
    2. Go online to our website at
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/existingcustomer/ and fill out
    the cancellation form (Cancel my Bitstream).

    Please note and understand the following:

    - You will continue to be billed for up to 45 days for the Bitstream
    service. How long this is depends on the service billing cycle that Telecom
    has flagged your DSL line on.
    - You will receive an email from our Provisioning team to the email address
    you nominate, and must reply to this email or your order will not be
    actioned.
    - You should receive the Confirmation to disconnect email within a maximum
    of two working days.
    - If you have not received an email from our Provisioning team after 3
    working days, you should get back in touch with us. This is your
    responsibility, and Orcon will not take responsibility for lost messages.

    If your would like to view a full copy of the terms and conditions please
    click on the following link: http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/terms
    =====

    So, I went to the cancellation page and there is no "Date to be cut off"
    field. Does this mean that if I fill out this form I could be cut off either
    tomorrow or any period up to 45 days time???

    Comments ideas welcome
    Thanks
    Mark
    Jimi, Mar 23, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jimi wrote:
    > So, I went to the cancellation page and there is no "Date to be cut off"
    > field. Does this mean that if I fill out this form I could be cut off either
    > tomorrow or any period up to 45 days time???


    I suspect the disconnection would occur at the end of the next billing
    cycle that is >=30 days from the notice period. It might be aligned to
    your Telecom billing cycle, but remember, *your* contract is with Orcon,
    *not* Telecom. As per the T&C you are only required to give 30 days
    written notice.

    The other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 23, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jimi

    thingy Guest

    Jimi wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm moving to Australia for work (The local exchange where I am
    > working has 24Mbit ADSL too...) so I would like my broadband cut off on the
    > 21st of April, not before, not after.
    >
    > So I contacted Orcon and said "I want my broadband cut off on the 21st of
    > April"
    >
    > I received the following
    >
    > =====
    > 2. Go online to our website at
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/existingcustomer/ and fill out
    > the cancellation form (Cancel my Bitstream).
    >
    > Please note and understand the following:
    >
    > - You will continue to be billed for up to 45 days for the Bitstream
    > service. How long this is depends on the service billing cycle that Telecom
    > has flagged your DSL line on.
    > - You will receive an email from our Provisioning team to the email address
    > you nominate, and must reply to this email or your order will not be
    > actioned.
    > - You should receive the Confirmation to disconnect email within a maximum
    > of two working days.
    > - If you have not received an email from our Provisioning team after 3
    > working days, you should get back in touch with us. This is your
    > responsibility, and Orcon will not take responsibility for lost messages.
    >
    > If your would like to view a full copy of the terms and conditions please
    > click on the following link: http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/terms
    > =====
    >
    > So, I went to the cancellation page and there is no "Date to be cut off"
    > field. Does this mean that if I fill out this form I could be cut off either
    > tomorrow or any period up to 45 days time???
    >
    > Comments ideas welcome
    > Thanks
    > Mark
    >
    >


    What a load of b*llocks....45 days? got to be kidding....like they so
    want you not to connect....

    I suppose you send the email and see what they say...If off to OZ well,
    how are they going to collect once you have left?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 23, 2006
    #3
  4. Jimi

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, y says...
    > Jimi wrote:
    > > Hi all, I'm moving to Australia for work (The local exchange where I am
    > > working has 24Mbit ADSL too...) so I would like my broadband cut off on the
    > > 21st of April, not before, not after.
    > >
    > > So I contacted Orcon and said "I want my broadband cut off on the 21st of
    > > April"
    > >
    > > I received the following
    > >
    > > =====
    > > 2. Go online to our website at
    > > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/existingcustomer/ and fill out
    > > the cancellation form (Cancel my Bitstream).
    > >
    > > Please note and understand the following:
    > >
    > > - You will continue to be billed for up to 45 days for the Bitstream
    > > service. How long this is depends on the service billing cycle that Telecom
    > > has flagged your DSL line on.
    > > - You will receive an email from our Provisioning team to the email address
    > > you nominate, and must reply to this email or your order will not be
    > > actioned.
    > > - You should receive the Confirmation to disconnect email within a maximum
    > > of two working days.
    > > - If you have not received an email from our Provisioning team after 3
    > > working days, you should get back in touch with us. This is your
    > > responsibility, and Orcon will not take responsibility for lost messages.
    > >
    > > If your would like to view a full copy of the terms and conditions please
    > > click on the following link: http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/terms
    > > =====
    > >
    > > So, I went to the cancellation page and there is no "Date to be cut off"
    > > field. Does this mean that if I fill out this form I could be cut off either
    > > tomorrow or any period up to 45 days time???
    > >
    > > Comments ideas welcome
    > > Thanks
    > > Mark
    > >
    > >

    >
    > What a load of b*llocks....45 days? got to be kidding....like they so
    > want you not to connect....


    Ihug takes up to a month to change my dialup plan
    RJ, Mar 24, 2006
    #4
  5. Jimi

    Brendon Guest

    They do it instantly if you ring them and tell them to. Otherwise doing it
    via account maintenence on the net takes effect next billing cycle.


    > Ihug takes up to a month to change my dialup plan
    Brendon, Mar 24, 2006
    #5
  6. Jimi

    Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <>, y says...
    >
    >>Jimi wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all, I'm moving to Australia for work (The local exchange where I am
    >>>working has 24Mbit ADSL too...) so I would like my broadband cut off on the
    >>>21st of April, not before, not after.
    >>>
    >>>So I contacted Orcon and said "I want my broadband cut off on the 21st of
    >>>April"
    >>>
    >>>I received the following
    >>>
    >>>=====
    >>>2. Go online to our website at
    >>>http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/existingcustomer/ and fill out
    >>>the cancellation form (Cancel my Bitstream).
    >>>
    >>>Please note and understand the following:
    >>>
    >>>- You will continue to be billed for up to 45 days for the Bitstream
    >>>service. How long this is depends on the service billing cycle that Telecom
    >>>has flagged your DSL line on.
    >>>- You will receive an email from our Provisioning team to the email address
    >>>you nominate, and must reply to this email or your order will not be
    >>>actioned.
    >>>- You should receive the Confirmation to disconnect email within a maximum
    >>>of two working days.
    >>>- If you have not received an email from our Provisioning team after 3
    >>>working days, you should get back in touch with us. This is your
    >>>responsibility, and Orcon will not take responsibility for lost messages.
    >>>
    >>>If your would like to view a full copy of the terms and conditions please
    >>>click on the following link: http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/terms
    >>>=====
    >>>
    >>>So, I went to the cancellation page and there is no "Date to be cut off"
    >>>field. Does this mean that if I fill out this form I could be cut off either
    >>>tomorrow or any period up to 45 days time???
    >>>
    >>>Comments ideas welcome
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Mark
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>What a load of b*llocks....45 days? got to be kidding....like they so
    >>want you not to connect....

    >
    >
    > Ihug takes up to a month to change my dialup plan


    Yes, when I left them I vowed never to go back.....had to pay over 6
    weeks to terminate.

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 24, 2006
    #6
  7. Jimi

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Jimi wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm moving to Australia for work (The local exchange where I am
    > working has 24Mbit ADSL too...) so I would like my broadband cut off on the
    > 21st of April, not before, not after.
    >
    > So I contacted Orcon and said "I want my broadband cut off on the 21st of
    > April"
    >

    I moved towns and had my phone cut off and that fixed them but trying to
    get any sense out of Orcon was a joke - I was told to fill out the
    "order a cancellation" form (caused a lot of LOL at work) but was then
    rejected because I had no phone line. The UBS disappeared from my
    "services" page on account maintenance but I wanted to confirm so I
    1. Sent an email saying to cancel
    2. Received a reply to say I had to "order a cancellation"
    3. Filled out the form
    4. Received an email saying it was rejected and I had to phone Orcon
    (phone had been disconnected by now)
    5. Phone Orcon - gave up on waiting in a cue so left a message
    explaining the "order a cancellation" form was rejected
    6. Found a message on my mobile the next day saying they had returned my
    call and I had to fill out the form or ring them back
    7. Sent them another email instead explaining everything including the
    rejected "order a cancellation" form
    8. Received a reply saying I had to order a cancellation or phone Orcon
    9. Tried phoning Orcon - actually got through and was told the account
    was cancelled.

    What a bunch of clowns they have become. All I was trying to do was
    confirm UBS was cancelled ....
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 24, 2006
    #7
  8. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > What a bunch of clowns they have become. All I was trying to do was
    > confirm UBS was cancelled ....


    I was told by SUPPORT to contact SUPPORT if I didn't want to fill out
    the form.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 24, 2006
    #8
  9. Jimi

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> What a bunch of clowns they have become. All I was trying to do was
    >> confirm UBS was cancelled ....

    >
    > I was told by SUPPORT to contact SUPPORT if I didn't want to fill out
    > the form.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    So what did support have to say about it ? You know there's no point
    moaning about it here if you don't even bother contacting support :)

    Hey, I just got an invoice from Orcon to say that I am in credit ! Yep
    they actually gave me a credit for the unused portion of the UBS paid in
    advance - at least they have given me an invoice that says I have a
    credit. Maybe if they take 45 days to process the "order a
    cancellation" form they give you a credit ????
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 24, 2006
    #9
  10. Jimi

    Richard Guest

    y wrote:
    >> Ihug takes up to a month to change my dialup plan

    >
    >
    > Yes, when I left them I vowed never to go back.....had to pay over 6
    > weeks to terminate.


    You think thats bad, orcon have already turned mine off for being overdue, I
    emailed them telling them I didnt want to reconnect it so to send me a final
    invoice to the date it was cut off and they are expecting me to go find my damn
    telecom account number and fill a form in for them..

    Like bloody hell I will make there job easy for them.
    Richard, Mar 24, 2006
    #10
  11. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > So what did support have to say about it ? You know there's no point
    > moaning about it here if you don't even bother contacting support :)


    I e-mailed Support and Seeby informing them that I had met my
    obligations, and that it was their responsibility to sort it out. I also
    pointed out to them that I pay by credit card, and their authority to
    charge the card ceases upon payment of the March-April period (which
    will be approximately April 1st).

    Got a nice response from Seeby, Support on the other hand still haven't
    updated me on the status of my 'order'.

    > Hey, I just got an invoice from Orcon to say that I am in credit ! Yep
    > they actually gave me a credit for the unused portion of the UBS paid in
    > advance - at least they have given me an invoice that says I have a
    > credit. Maybe if they take 45 days to process the "order a
    > cancellation" form they give you a credit ????


    I have requested cancellation at the end of the current service period
    since this is greater that the required 30 days notice, and the end of
    the plan I'm using being available. So I shouldn't get a refund,
    although I wouldn't be complaining.

    Make sure the refund they give is correct.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Mar 24, 2006
    #11
  12. Jimi

    Mike Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Jimi wrote:
    >
    >> So, I went to the cancellation page and there is no "Date to be cut
    >> off" field. Does this mean that if I fill out this form I could be cut
    >> off either tomorrow or any period up to 45 days time???

    >
    >
    > I suspect the disconnection would occur at the end of the next billing
    > cycle that is >=30 days from the notice period. It might be aligned to
    > your Telecom billing cycle, but remember, *your* contract is with Orcon,
    > *not* Telecom. As per the T&C you are only required to give 30 days
    > written notice.
    >
    > The other Guy


    From the T&C at orCON - it looks like they stop biling
    you from cancellation but you have to pay up to
    the telecom billing period - and it may take them up to 45
    days to process this - however I read that you wont have
    to pay for anydays past your telecom billing cycle:

    8. Cancellation of Services
    8.1 You can request service cancellation of your BitStream service at
    any time, however it can take up to 45 days to get the billing stopped
    and the service cancelled, as we are dependent on the lead-times and
    billing period of Telecom. It is possible to cancel the service quicker
    - however this requires an agreement to pay all charges incurred up
    until Telecom has stopped billing for the service, even if your service
    has been technically disconnected prior to this date. There is no
    cancellation fee.
    Mike, Mar 27, 2006
    #12
  13. Jimi

    s.t.e.v.e. Guest

    Jimi wrote:

    > So, I went to the cancellation page and there is no "Date to be cut off"
    > field. Does this mean that if I fill out this form I could be cut off
    > either tomorrow or any period up to 45 days time???
    >
    > Comments ideas welcome
    > Thanks
    > Mark


    If you get the phone cut off, the ADSL should also be dead.......and if you
    notify them - in writing and sent by post (registered, if you like, to
    verify receipt) - of your intention to discontinue the service and provide
    all relevant details (name, address, account name, any contact phone
    number).....they have been NOTIFIED.

    What they do then is up to them.
    s.t.e.v.e., Mar 28, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?b3BhbGV5ZQ==?=

    setup a D-Link 624 to a laptop so Random disconnect STOP

    =?Utf-8?B?b3BhbGV5ZQ==?=, Feb 15, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,453
  2. Richard Lewis Haggard

    Verizon Broadband won't stop dialing

    Richard Lewis Haggard, Mar 17, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    5,735
    Richard Lewis Haggard
    Mar 19, 2006
  3. Jim Jones

    Q. My browser doesn't stop, when I click on STOP.

    Jim Jones, Feb 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    657
    hklarry
    Feb 3, 2004
  4. zxcvar

    f2.8 vs f3.7- Is it one stop or 2 stop difference

    zxcvar, May 17, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    2,219
    David Dyer-Bennet
    May 20, 2004
  5. Bill
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    716
    Nobody
    May 28, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page