How the anti-virus program affects my network...plus!!!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. Desktop Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (updated from sp 1)

    Laptop Windows Media Center Service Pack 2

    I first had an anti-virus program (McAfee) for my Desktop Computer. After
    the first year I would get downloaded DAT’s for a further year at a reduced
    rate. This continued until this January. (3 years in total) When it was due
    again this year I was told there were no further updates for that version so
    had to renew to a full version.

    Now I also got a laptop as a Christmas gift and thought one anti-virus
    program would secure both the Desktop and Laptop but was told I would need
    two…….This is out- with my budget at this time so thought I could download a
    free version from the net which would cover the Laptop, this program (AGV)
    did advise it was not suitable for using with a network and after downloading
    it, I couldn’t get online so uninstalled it.

    Now at the moment I prefer using the Laptop so renewed my anti-virus to this
    but my Desktop has my Printer attached and I also transfer files between both
    computers and wondered if there was any safe measures anyone could recommend
    to tide me over.

    Another problem along these same lines is that since getting the new
    anti-virus program downloaded onto the Laptop, I’ve had problems with my
    network. It seems to be a problem with the Firewall. I have set the virus
    program to accept I.P addresses from my range and that seems ok but if I have
    the Windows own Firewall on, on either computer then I can’t connect, which
    leaves the Desktop even more vulnerable as there is no protection there at
    all except maybe some from the router and even that
    I’m not sure about

    I appreciate anyone who has had the patience to read this to this point as I
    know I am not very good at explaining so only hope that somebody can
    understand and maybe give me some good advice.

    Regards

    --
    Thank You
    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Feb 16, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=

    Jim Guest

    "lethal_assignation" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Desktop Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (updated from sp 1)
    >

    > Laptop Windows Media Center Service Pack 2
    >

    > I first had an anti-virus program (McAfee) for my Desktop Computer. After
    > the first year I would get downloaded DAT's for a further year at a
    > reduced
    > rate. This continued until this January. (3 years in total) When it was
    > due
    > again this year I was told there were no further updates for that version
    > so
    > had to renew to a full version.
    >
    > Now I also got a laptop as a Christmas gift and thought one anti-virus
    > program would secure both the Desktop and Laptop but was told I would need
    > two...This is out- with my budget at this time so thought I could download
    > free version from the net which would cover the Laptop, this program (AGV)
    > did advise it was not suitable for using with a network and after
    > downloading
    > it, I couldn't get online so uninstalled it.
    >
    > Now at the moment I prefer using the Laptop so renewed my anti-virus to
    > this
    > but my Desktop has my Printer attached and I also transfer files between
    > both
    > computers and wondered if there was any safe measures anyone could
    > recommend
    > to tide me over.
    >
    > Another problem along these same lines is that since getting the new
    > anti-virus program downloaded onto the Laptop, I've had problems with my
    > network. It seems to be a problem with the Firewall. I have set the virus
    > program to accept I.P addresses from my range and that seems ok but if I
    > have
    > the Windows own Firewall on, on either computer then I can't connect,
    > which
    > leaves the Desktop even more vulnerable as there is no protection there at
    > all except maybe some from the router and even that
    > I'm not sure about
    >
    > I appreciate anyone who has had the patience to read this to this point as
    > know I am not very good at explaining so only hope that somebody can
    > understand and maybe give me some good advice.
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > --
    > Thank You

    It sounds like you have two firewalls at work. One is an ample supply.
    You must configure the Windows firewall to accept file and printer sharing.
    Jim
    Jim, Feb 16, 2007

  3. Yes but there are 2 computers...so on my laptop I let run the new antivirus
    with firewall then that only protects the laptop but if I put on the window
    firewall on the desktop to help protect that, then I can't connect to the
    internet on the laptop.....Sorry.....I confuse myself too :)
    --
    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?bGV0aGFsX2Fzc2lnbmF0aW9u?=, Feb 16, 2007