How Telstra Clear does not love its Customers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Let see, I have been with Saturn/TelstraClear since 1999 on a Com21....

    So I get another call telling me, my 256k connection is going to be
    terminated, if I refuse to move I get a letter....yep OK send it
    please., while I consider my options....and get back to them...

    So an alarm bell suddenly rings, I ring them back and ask, OK, does it
    cost anything to swap to a new Cable modem?. Now bear in mind this is
    the third call I have had and no one said I was going to be locked in,
    or charged extra it was a simple swap no extra costs was what I was
    told.....

    Oh, Yes $149 or a lockin for 2 years.....so I have been a loyal customer
    for 7 years yet I am being forced to change to another service at a
    higher expense for no better real performance and not told I was going
    to be locked in.......

    As I dont like being ripped off and dis-honesty, I have one word for
    Clear.......

    GOODBYE.

    Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    will include tolls I guess........

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 22, 2006

  2. thingy

    Stu Fleming Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    > will include tolls I guess........

    Moved from TelstraClear/Paradise to Actrix last week.
    No problems. Love the 350MB/day cap on Cyberjet, suits me perfectly.

    Stu Fleming, Apr 22, 2006

  3. On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    > will include tolls I guess.

    Here in NZ???

    GOOD??????!!

    Do you mean an ADSL service where you actually get what you've subscribed
    to?

    I would be interested in knowing the answer to that question. :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 22, 2006
  4. thingy

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy <> wrote:

    >Let see, I have been with Saturn/TelstraClear since 1999 on a Com21....
    >
    >So I get another call telling me, my 256k connection is going to be
    >terminated, if I refuse to move I get a letter....yep OK send it
    >please., while I consider my options....and get back to them...
    >
    >So an alarm bell suddenly rings, I ring them back and ask, OK, does it
    >cost anything to swap to a new Cable modem?. Now bear in mind this is
    >the third call I have had and no one said I was going to be locked in,
    >or charged extra it was a simple swap no extra costs was what I was
    >told.....

    My Com21 modem was changed long ago, to the black Motorola one, they just
    rang me and stated that they wished to replace the Modem, and still stayed on
    256k, I was also told from them that I could stay on 256k forever..

    No charges at all.

    >Oh, Yes $149 or a lockin for 2 years.....so I have been a loyal customer
    >for 7 years yet I am being forced to change to another service at a

    Its the Telstra way, charge like a bull.

    >higher expense for no better real performance and not told I was going
    >to be locked in.......
    >
    >As I dont like being ripped off and dis-honesty, I have one word for
    >Clear.......
    >
    >GOODBYE.
    >
    >Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    >will include tolls I guess........
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    , Apr 22, 2006
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    >>Let see, I have been with Saturn/TelstraClear since 1999 on a Com21....
    >>
    >>So I get another call telling me, my 256k connection is going to be
    >>terminated, if I refuse to move I get a letter....yep OK send it
    >>please., while I consider my options....and get back to them...
    >>
    >>So an alarm bell suddenly rings, I ring them back and ask, OK, does it
    >>cost anything to swap to a new Cable modem?. Now bear in mind this is
    >>the third call I have had and no one said I was going to be locked in,
    >>or charged extra it was a simple swap no extra costs was what I was
    >>told.....

    > My Com21 modem was changed long ago, to the black Motorola one, they just
    > rang me and stated that they wished to replace the Modem, and still stayed on
    > 256k, I was also told from them that I could stay on 256k forever..
    >
    > No charges at all.

    I could have no charges if I accepted a 2 year lock in. So the "new"
    service costs about the same, except I lose my international/national
    split and to keep on my current 1 month's notice I pay them $149....

    So the new service is in effect more expensive for less....

    I cant see "cheaper" anywhere in this equation.....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 22, 2006
  6. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    >>will include tolls I guess.

    > Here in NZ???
    >
    > GOOD??????!!
    >
    > Do you mean an ADSL service where you actually get what you've subscribed
    > to?
    >
    > I would be interested in knowing the answer to that question. :eek:)
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Bugger, I was afraid you would say that....(well someone would anyway)
    from the comments in here the quality of the ADSL support & service is
    obviously pathetic......

    I am so p*ssed with Clear not being honest with me that I'd change, but
    I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face......

    Either that or give up on Broadband....a dialup into work would be
    enough.....hmmmm........

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 22, 2006
  7. thingy

    David Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Let see, I have been with Saturn/TelstraClear since 1999 on a Com21....
    >
    > So I get another call telling me, my 256k connection is going to be
    > terminated, if I refuse to move I get a letter....yep OK send it
    > please., while I consider my options....and get back to them...
    >
    > So an alarm bell suddenly rings, I ring them back and ask, OK, does it
    > cost anything to swap to a new Cable modem?. Now bear in mind this is
    > the third call I have had and no one said I was going to be locked in,
    > or charged extra it was a simple swap no extra costs was what I was
    > told.....
    >
    > Oh, Yes $149 or a lockin for 2 years.....so I have been a loyal customer
    > for 7 years yet I am being forced to change to another service at a
    > higher expense for no better real performance and not told I was going
    > to be locked in.......
    >
    > As I dont like being ripped off and dis-honesty, I have one word for
    > Clear.......
    >
    > GOODBYE.
    >
    > Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    > will include tolls I guess........
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Suggest you re-check that info. We had been on 256kbs cable 4-5 yrs, but
    only 2yrs for cable TV & phone (just finished our 2yr "bond" for the phone
    & TV).

    Were changed over in a matter of days. No cost or lock-in to change to
    10Mbs cable (other of course than the dearer monthly charge because we
    chose to go to a higher spec service - necessary in our case due to numbers
    in household using the internet).

    Change over to digital TV would have cost $100 which I was not happy about
    as we only have a 29" CRT (which we rarely watch). But to my surprise, we
    were not required to change to digital TV.

    So ... still on analogue TV & total cost of change-over to the new cable
    internet plan was zilch.

    David

    David, Apr 22, 2006
  8. On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:15:30 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Either that or give up on Broadband....a dialup into work would be
    > enough.....hmmmm........

    I'm using dialup. I pull down DVD ISO images over dialup.

    The next one I'll be getting will be SuSE 10.1 .

    I've pulled down a 42gig torrent, inter alia, over dialup!

    It just means you have to leave it running overnight, and while at work
    and when down at the pub and when in the bath... etc.

    Not that it really matters much if you had "broadband" with only 128kb up.

    LOL - so I have a gigabit ethernet LAN that's connected to the Internet
    via a firewall with ppp for the Red zone. :eek:)

    Works for me. Ya just need a little patience. :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 22, 2006
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:15:30 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Either that or give up on Broadband....a dialup into work would be
    >>enough.....hmmmm........

    > I'm using dialup. I pull down DVD ISO images over dialup.
    >
    > The next one I'll be getting will be SuSE 10.1 .
    >
    > I've pulled down a 42gig torrent, inter alia, over dialup!
    >
    > It just means you have to leave it running overnight, and while at work
    > and when down at the pub and when in the bath... etc.
    >
    > Not that it really matters much if you had "broadband" with only 128kb up.
    >
    > LOL - so I have a gigabit ethernet LAN that's connected to the Internet
    > via a firewall with ppp for the Red zone. :eek:)
    >
    > Works for me. Ya just need a little patience. :eek:)
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    I have hi speed at work, can do 4 isos at once in about 15mins...so
    there is no huge reason for broadband at home.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 22, 2006
  10. thingy

    Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 18:49:33 +1200, thingy <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Let see, I have been with Saturn/TelstraClear since 1999 on a Com21....
    >>>
    >>>So I get another call telling me, my 256k connection is going to be
    >>>terminated, if I refuse to move I get a letter....yep OK send it
    >>>please., while I consider my options....and get back to them...
    >>>
    >>>So an alarm bell suddenly rings, I ring them back and ask, OK, does it
    >>>cost anything to swap to a new Cable modem?. Now bear in mind this is
    >>>the third call I have had and no one said I was going to be locked in,
    >>>or charged extra it was a simple swap no extra costs was what I was
    >>>told.....

    >> My Com21 modem was changed long ago, to the black Motorola one, they just
    >> rang me and stated that they wished to replace the Modem, and still stayed on
    >> 256k, I was also told from them that I could stay on 256k forever..
    >>
    >> No charges at all.
    >>

    >I could have no charges if I accepted a 2 year lock in. So the "new"
    >service costs about the same, except I lose my international/national
    >split and to keep on my current 1 month's notice I pay them $149....
    >
    >So the new service is in effect more expensive for less....
    >
    >I cant see "cheaper" anywhere in this equation.....
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    My Fiancee has Cable TV and they locked here into a 2 year contract, but it
    will cost $99 to cancel it when even only a few months to go, but will cost
    $60 to move it..

    I asked what did the Contract offered, only the $60 connection fee, as the
    cable was already installed.

    But from what she has told me she got charged the connection fee, they pulled
    the wool over here eyes as English is not her first language, and she did not
    know how to complain.

    This to me like a good thing to bring up with Fair Go..

    , Apr 22, 2006
  11. thingy

    Crash Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Let see, I have been with Saturn/TelstraClear since 1999 on a Com21....
    >
    > So I get another call telling me, my 256k connection is going to be
    > terminated, if I refuse to move I get a letter....yep OK send it
    > please., while I consider my options....and get back to them...
    >
    > So an alarm bell suddenly rings, I ring them back and ask, OK, does it
    > cost anything to swap to a new Cable modem?. Now bear in mind this is
    > the third call I have had and no one said I was going to be locked in,
    > or charged extra it was a simple swap no extra costs was what I was
    > told.....
    >
    > Oh, Yes $149 or a lockin for 2 years.....so I have been a loyal customer
    > for 7 years yet I am being forced to change to another service at a
    > higher expense for no better real performance and not told I was going
    > to be locked in.......
    >
    > As I dont like being ripped off and dis-honesty, I have one word for
    > Clear.......
    >
    > GOODBYE.
    >
    > Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    > will include tolls I guess........

    If you wish to leave TC then you have one choice of Telco being Telecom.
    Choices are available in respect of type of connection and ISP.

    I would happily recommend Xtra as an ISP - using them yo avoid the Telco/ISP
    boundary arguments.

    Crash.

    Crash, Apr 23, 2006
  12. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    >> will include tolls I guess........

    > Moved from TelstraClear/Paradise to Actrix last week.
    > No problems. Love the 350MB/day cap on Cyberjet, suits me perfectly.

    Yes I looked at that....my problem with the 350 plan is, my use is very
    peaky and low in-between, ie I download isos on occasion and patch boxes
    all at once. So the 1 gig plan looks to suit me better.....the slingshot
    one looks good as well..

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 23, 2006
  13. thingy

    thingy Guest

    David wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Let see, I have been with Saturn/TelstraClear since 1999 on a Com21....
    >>
    >>So I get another call telling me, my 256k connection is going to be
    >>terminated, if I refuse to move I get a letter....yep OK send it
    >>please., while I consider my options....and get back to them...
    >>
    >>So an alarm bell suddenly rings, I ring them back and ask, OK, does it
    >>cost anything to swap to a new Cable modem?. Now bear in mind this is
    >>the third call I have had and no one said I was going to be locked in,
    >>or charged extra it was a simple swap no extra costs was what I was
    >>told.....
    >>
    >>Oh, Yes $149 or a lockin for 2 years.....so I have been a loyal customer
    >>for 7 years yet I am being forced to change to another service at a
    >>higher expense for no better real performance and not told I was going
    >>to be locked in.......
    >>
    >>As I dont like being ripped off and dis-honesty, I have one word for
    >>Clear.......
    >>
    >>GOODBYE.
    >>
    >>Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    >>will include tolls I guess........
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > Suggest you re-check that info. We had been on 256kbs cable 4-5 yrs, but
    > only 2yrs for cable TV & phone (just finished our 2yr "bond" for the phone
    > & TV).
    >
    > Were changed over in a matter of days. No cost or lock-in to change to
    > 10Mbs cable (other of course than the dearer monthly charge because we
    > chose to go to a higher spec service - necessary in our case due to numbers
    > in household using the internet).
    >
    > Change over to digital TV would have cost $100 which I was not happy about
    > as we only have a 29" CRT (which we rarely watch). But to my surprise, we
    > were not required to change to digital TV.
    >
    > So ... still on analogue TV & total cost of change-over to the new cable
    > internet plan was zilch.
    >
    > David

    Seems you are probably correct, I re-rang Clear and as long as I dont
    upgrade the speed/volume etc there is no new charge or lock in........

    The guy this time told me no charge just for a swap out and when I asked
    to double check it seems he got the confirmation....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Apr 23, 2006
  14. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy <>
    exclaimed:

    >Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    >will include tolls I guess........

    The only ISPs that seem to offer decent speeds are Xtra, Ihug, and
    possibly Actrix.

    Unfortunately it doesn't appear that any others are able to provide
    the performance they promise.

    Fred Dagg, Apr 24, 2006
  15. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:49:51 +1200, thingy <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>Can anybody recommend good adsl providers? need a phone line as well
    >>will include tolls I guess........

    > The only ISPs that seem to offer decent speeds are Xtra, Ihug, and
    > possibly Actrix.

    What I presume you are measuring (from people's comments) are the speeds
    people get when they are Using Bittorrent or other P2P applications which
    use up alot of bandwidth for (High Percentage) of illegal activities. For
    the normal "run of the mill" people from the tests I have done so far, there
    is not much different in "other than P2P" between Providers. So the normal
    mom-and-dad internet connection (which is ALOT higher amount of than the
    people who want to download the latest Lost episode) its really the other
    services which an ISP gives rather than the internet connection itself.

    Also (on here) no one has talked about Worldnet - maybe due to the language
    barrier as most of their customers are non-english-as-their-first-language
    customers.

    > Unfortunately it doesn't appear that any others are able to provide
    > the performance they promise.

    A good question is what DO you expect?

    Thanks
    Craig
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 24, 2006
  16. On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:08:29 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > A good question is what DO you expect?

    Full speed, unrestricted, unfiltered, uncapped, flat rate, affordable,
    aDSL with a low-to-no contention ratio is what I expect a DSL service to
    be. If it's not that then it is not true Broadband DSL.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 24, 2006
  17. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:08:29 +1200, "Craig Whitmore"
    <> exclaimed:

    >> Unfortunately it doesn't appear that any others are able to provide
    >> the performance they promise.

    >A good question is what DO you expect?

    I expect them to offer the performance promised for the amount of
    traffic promised, regardless of how I decide to use that bandwidth.

    You're claim of "illegal activities" seems odd. Assuming for a second
    that this is true, what business is this of the ISPs? They don't say
    "2Mbps, except for P2P", they say "2Mbps".

    Fact is, if you believe Orcon (http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/status)
    something like 90% of traffic is P2P. Therefore, they are only
    providing what they promise for 10% of their traffic.

    And you think that this is acceptable?

    Fred Dagg, Apr 24, 2006
  18. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:08:29 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >> A good question is what DO you expect?

    > Full speed, unrestricted, unfiltered, uncapped, flat rate, affordable,
    > aDSL with a low-to-no contention ratio is what I expect a DSL service to
    > be. If it's not that then it is not true Broadband DSL.

    You can get all those RIGHT now.. just not at the price you want to pay.!

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 24, 2006
  19. >
    > Fact is, if you believe Orcon (http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/status)
    > something like 90% of traffic is P2P. Therefore, they are only
    > providing what they promise for 10% of their traffic.
    >
    > And you think that this is acceptable?

    Orcon explain the way they shape their traffic pretty well.. Yes they Slow
    down P2P.. They are not hiding that at all. If a person does not like that
    they don't have to sign up with Orcon. You cannot give 100% of people 100%
    of what they are after.
    Thanks
    Craig
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 24, 2006
  20. thingy

    Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > they don't have to sign up with Orcon. You cannot give 100% of people 100%
    > of what they are after.

    No but I think the thing that pisses everyone off is that you can't get
    the same sort of services in NZ anywhere near the same price as you can
    in many other countries (so I've heard, I haven't actually checked the
    prices myself). Obviously things would be a little more expensive due
    to our location, but not to the extent they currently are. It doesn't
    really matter what people use these services for, we just want to keep
    up with the rest of the world....

    , Apr 24, 2006