How Stupid can MS Be..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by no one@noone.cnn, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. no

    no Guest

    no , Jan 4, 2008

  2. no

    peter Guest

    no wrote:
    > Office 2003 update blocks older file formats
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6224462.html

    "The older file formats that are now blocked are in decreasing day-to-day
    use, but the blocking of them will make retrieval of archived material more
    difficult."

    This is exactly why using proprietary file formats should not be used, and
    this is particularly important for official documents and those that may
    have lasting importance.

    Peter

    peter, Jan 4, 2008

  3. no

    Keith Guest

    In article <>, no
    says...

    > Office 2003 update blocks older file formats
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6224462.html
    >

    > There excuses are utter Crap..

    Big deal. They aren't "blocked", you simply can't open old file formats
    in Word, Excel, et al.

    So load Open Office (for free) open the old file format there and save
    as a newer M$ file format.

    Hang on... <thinks> Why don't I just ditch Word and use OO Writer
    instead??

    You're right, MS are stupid.

    Keith, Jan 4, 2008
  4. no

    thingy Guest

    Keith wrote:
    > In article <>, no
    > says...
    >> Office 2003 update blocks older file formats
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6224462.html
    >>

    >> There excuses are utter Crap..
    >>

    > Big deal. They aren't "blocked", you simply can't open old file formats
    > in Word, Excel, et al.
    >
    > So load Open Office (for free) open the old file format there and save
    > as a newer M$ file format.
    >
    > Hang on... <thinks> Why don't I just ditch Word and use OO Writer
    > instead??
    >
    > You're right, MS are stupid.

    blind combined with arrogant.....they believe they can do what they want
    any time they want....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jan 6, 2008
  5. no

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-01-06, thingy <> wrote:
    > Keith wrote:
    >> In article <>, no
    >> says...
    >>> Office 2003 update blocks older file formats
    >>>
    >>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6224462.html
    >>>

    >>> There excuses are utter Crap..
    >>>

    >> Big deal. They aren't "blocked", you simply can't open old file formats
    >> in Word, Excel, et al.
    >>
    >> So load Open Office (for free) open the old file format there and save
    >> as a newer M$ file format.
    >>
    >> Hang on... <thinks> Why don't I just ditch Word and use OO Writer
    >> instead??
    >>
    >> You're right, MS are stupid.

    > blind combined with arrogant.....they believe they can do what they want
    > any time they want....

    If you are a monolopy, or dictator this works for only so long. MS is now
    discovering this.

    Gordon, Jan 7, 2008