How specific

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Dean, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Dean

    Dean Guest

    Kalani's 70-316 book has a question kind of like this:
    "Your RichTextBox control won't display the horizontal
    scroll bar, even though you have set scroll bars =
    ForceBoth. Why not?" The answer is that the horizontal
    scrollbar won't display if word wrap is on.

    Ok, so I read this, and think: This is a pretty obscure
    little behavior. Do I need to know this level of detail
    to pass this exam? There are about 40 controls, averaging
    20 properties on each, so that's thousands of little
    nuggets I'm going to have to memorize. And that's just
    one chapter.

    Or is it more like "What control can be used to display
    word-processor like behavior, with text decorations,
    etc.". Or is it somewhere in between, like "What property
    of the RichTextBox will return the string with all the
    formatting codes in it?

    Regards,

    Dean
    Dean, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Dean

    Grant Guest

    I'd say this level of knowledge would be asked by
    including the relevant source code. And in that source
    code they'd explicitly set wrap on, and that would be
    your clue to the answer. Something along those lines.
    It's about being able to think logically and apply the
    knowledge, rather than repeating it parrot fashion.

    Now that I've done a number of exams, I feel that they're
    really quite good at identifying competency levels. If
    you can't pass the exams, it's unlikely you could produce
    quality code. *Not that passing means you can produce
    quality code! There are too many cowboys out there,
    strutting around with their cowboy hats tilted and their
    spurs a-rattling. :p

    Grant
    MCSD for .NET

    Grant, Apr 14, 2004