How sort video files within a folder?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Fruit2O, Dec 27, 2009.

  1. Fruit2O

    Fruit2O Guest

    I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
    The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
    description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
    woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
    end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
    files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
    temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
    the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
    the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
    AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
    together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
    taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
    in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
    do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
    in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
    be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
    I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
    me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
    Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
    want to use it. Thank you............
     
    Fruit2O, Dec 27, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Fruit2O

    Guest

    Thanks so much for your reply. Your story is almost identical to mine.
    My wife takes the pictures of our two grandsons and I'm supposed to do
    the rest. Sounds like you're way ahead of me. I've never worked with
    AVIs before and I haven't done much burning - although I have the
    capability. I also have Nero 9. I don't know how to put this - but my
    biggest hurdle right now is how to sort the AVIs by date taken and,
    although you explained what you do, by the time I get the capture card,
    the shoot order is not in order anymore. You see, other people add
    their own files to our capture folder. Trust me - I need to find a way
    to put the AVIs in shoot order (Date Taken) preferably in the same
    folder as the JPGs (but separate folders can work too) and I can't
    figure it out. Also, I don't know what you mean by "motion wall menu."
    What is a multi-track DVD?....and what is VLC Media Player? Thanks so
    much for your help.


    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:21:38 -0800, "" <CLicker>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 13:12:11 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
    >>The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
    >>description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
    >>woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
    >>end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
    >>files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
    >>temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
    >>the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
    >>the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
    >>AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
    >>together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
    >>taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
    >>do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
    >>in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
    >>be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
    >>I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
    >>me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
    >>Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
    >>want to use it. Thank you............

    >
    >Each few weeks, or monthly, I unload a friends camera of snaps and
    >vids taken of her now 2.25 year old grandchild. Neither of her
    >stand-alone players will play the AVIs created by XP, Vista, nor
    >Windows 7 from her USB interfacing camera. So I copy the .AVI files
    >from the capture folder, which is simply named for the yyyy-mo in
    >which she took the pictures, and make an ever growing DVD (using a
    >convertX project) with a per-episode "motion wall menu." I also copy
    >the .JPGs and write that folder to a multi-track DVD. Last, I extract
    >and snaps/vids which are not about the child from the capture folder
    >to a MISC folder.
    >
    >On her PC she can play the .AVIs (which are 15 fps motion JPEGs) and
    >.JPGs intermixed using VLC media player. She retains the "shoot"
    >order because of the default incremental numeric file names created by
    >the OS's included capture software. On her DVD players she can play
    >the videos as a DVD or the stills as a slide show, but they are on
    >separate discs because of her hardware limitations.
    >
    >Thus the chapters of the DVD and the folders of the snap shots depict
    >the ascending days and months of the child's life. As do the merged
    >files in the folders on her PC.
    >
    >Twice so far she's given me a list of folder\file numbered names to
    >remove from future optical disc creations before she distributes to
    >family and friends.
     
    , Dec 27, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Fruit2O

    Fruit2O Guest

    Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
    my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:20:27 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"Fruit2O" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >>I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
    >> The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
    >> description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
    >> woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
    >> end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
    >> files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
    >> temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
    >> the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
    >> the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
    >> AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
    >> together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
    >> taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
    >> do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
    >> in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
    >> be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
    >> I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
    >> me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
    >> Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
    >> want to use it. Thank you............

    >
    >
    > You posted to video groups with "DVD" in their name,
    >does that indicate that you intend to use the .jpg and .avi
    >files in a DVD production of some sort?
    >
    > There are a number of programs that can author mixed
    >"slideshow" and video DVDs. Most include some support
    >for organizing your A/V source files.
    >
    > www.videohelp.com has listings
    >
    >Luck;
    > Ken
    >
    >
    >
     
    Fruit2O, Dec 27, 2009
    #3
  4. On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:00:17 -0600, "Ken Maltby" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Fruit2O" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
    >> my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?
    >>

    >
    > And I still don't have an answer to my question, or
    >any reason as to why the organizing features I brought
    >up are not sufficient to your needs.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken
    >
    >

    Sorting in ANY of Windows' file explorers is easy.
     
    Capt. Cave Man, Dec 28, 2009
    #4
  5. Fruit2O

    Netmask Guest

    On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    > Now, with the AVI files all alone
    > in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    > However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    > of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    > everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    > them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.


    Try Date Modified
     
    Netmask, Dec 28, 2009
    #5
  6. Fruit2O

    Fruit2O Guest

    On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask <> wrote:

    >On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    >> Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.

    >
    >Try Date Modified


    Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
    know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
    try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
    the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
    metadata and I want to learn how to do that.
     
    Fruit2O, Dec 28, 2009
    #6
  7. Fruit2O

    Fruit2O Guest

    On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:00:17 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"Fruit2O" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
    >> my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?
    >>

    >
    > And I still don't have an answer to my question, or
    >any reason as to why the organizing features I brought
    >up are not sufficient to your needs.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken
    >
    >

    Forgive me Ken but I'm not a well man and spend most of my days with
    severe head pain. So, it's very difficult for me to be prompt. I also
    forget a lot and misunderstand a lot because the pain is very
    distracting. In any case, I appreciate the help you and all the others
    offer in these newsgroups. I'd be lost without you guys.
     
    Fruit2O, Dec 28, 2009
    #7
  8. On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:41:46 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    >>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.

    >>
    >>Try Date Modified

    >
    >Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
    >know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
    >try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
    >the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
    >metadata and I want to learn how to do that.



    Well, then ADD the "date created" field and use that to sort.
     
    Capt. Cave Man, Dec 29, 2009
    #8
  9. On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:49:43 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 19:00:17 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"Fruit2O" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>> Thanks - this URL is useful. However, I still don't have an answer to
    >>> my original dillema. How do I sort in a Vista folder?
    >>>

    >>
    >> And I still don't have an answer to my question, or
    >>any reason as to why the organizing features I brought
    >>up are not sufficient to your needs.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>
    >>

    >Forgive me Ken but I'm not a well man and spend most of my days with
    >severe head pain. So, it's very difficult for me to be prompt. I also
    >forget a lot and misunderstand a lot because the pain is very
    >distracting. In any case, I appreciate the help you and all the others
    >offer in these newsgroups. I'd be lost without you guys.



    Move to California and get a Cannabis prescription.
     
    Capt. Cave Man, Dec 29, 2009
    #9
  10. Fruit2O

    Fruit2O Guest

    Tried that - didn't work.

    On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:20:55 -0800, Capt. Cave Man
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:41:46 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    >>>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.
    >>>
    >>>Try Date Modified

    >>
    >>Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
    >>know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
    >>try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
    >>the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
    >>metadata and I want to learn how to do that.

    >
    >
    > Well, then ADD the "date created" field and use that to sort.
     
    Fruit2O, Dec 29, 2009
    #10
  11. On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:13:37 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:

    >Tried that - didn't work.
    >
    >On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:20:55 -0800, Capt. Cave Man
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:41:46 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    >>>>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>>>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>>>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>>>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>>>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>>>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.
    >>>>
    >>>>Try Date Modified
    >>>
    >>>Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
    >>>know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
    >>>try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
    >>>the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
    >>>metadata and I want to learn how to do that.

    >>
    >>
    >> Well, then ADD the "date created" field and use that to sort.


    It should have no problem working. Are you on an NTFS drive?

    It should have a lot of data packed in the file header, so you should
    have no problem sorting all those files by their initial creation date.

    You right click on any of the existing field headers and you should get
    a drop down list...


    Oh wait... I am on Windows 7... maybe there is a difference.

    Works that way for Vista as well, but not sure about earlier releases.
     
    Capt. Cave Man, Dec 29, 2009
    #11
  12. Fruit2O

    Netmask Guest

    On 29/12/2009 13:13, Fruit2O wrote:
    > Tried that - didn't work.
    >
    > On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:20:55 -0800, Capt. Cave Man
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:41:46 -0500, Fruit2O<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    >>>>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>>>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>>>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>>>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>>>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>>>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.
    >>>>
    >>>> Try Date Modified
    >>>
    >>> Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
    >>> know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
    >>> try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
    >>> the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
    >>> metadata and I want to learn how to do that.

    >>
    >>
    >> Well, then ADD the "date created" field and use that to sort.

    Maybe it's a permission thing? Log on as administrator and try again.
    Just to clarify when you add a field "date created" or whatever do you
    actually get a bunch of dates? or is the problem when you click on the
    column to sort nothing happens?

    You could also check one of your avi files with MediaInfo (free program)
    and post the log.
     
    Netmask, Dec 29, 2009
    #12
  13. Fruit2O

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
    >The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
    >description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
    >woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
    >end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
    >files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
    >temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
    >the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
    >the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
    >AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
    >together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
    >taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
    >do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
    >in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
    >be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
    >I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
    >me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
    >Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
    >want to use it. Thank you............


    Perhaps I'm missing something here; as Vista/7 might actually do things
    differently from XP. In the old days, when you referred to "sorting" files
    within a folder, it meant that the directory was actually re-written with
    the file entries appearing in the order you specified. The verification
    was to drop to command prompt, and get a "dir" listing with no sorting
    applied. If the file names appeared in the order you expected, then the
    folder had really been sorted.

    AFAIK recent versions of Windows can't do anything of the type. When you
    "sort" using Explorer, what you're really doing is modifying the order in
    which the file names are displayed on the screen, and saving that
    preference so that the next time Explorer opens that folder, it will do
    the same thing. However, the actual order in which the file names appear
    in the physical directory sector(s) is unchanged - it's basically the
    order in which they were added there in the first place.

    The upshot is that any program which relies on the Windows Explorer "view"
    for the order in which files are to appear, may retain your preference;
    but any other approach (like a DOS read) will fail to reflect your
    "sorting" preferences.
     
    Mike S., Dec 29, 2009
    #13
  14. Fruit2O

    Fruit2O Guest

    I'll give it a try!!!!!!!

    On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:29:45 -0800, Capt. Cave Man
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:13:37 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >
    >>Tried that - didn't work.
    >>
    >>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:20:55 -0800, Capt. Cave Man
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:41:46 -0500, Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    >>>>>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>>>>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>>>>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>>>>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>>>>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>>>>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Try Date Modified
    >>>>
    >>>>Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
    >>>>know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
    >>>>try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
    >>>>the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
    >>>>metadata and I want to learn how to do that.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Well, then ADD the "date created" field and use that to sort.

    >
    > It should have no problem working. Are you on an NTFS drive?
    >
    > It should have a lot of data packed in the file header, so you should
    >have no problem sorting all those files by their initial creation date.
    >
    > You right click on any of the existing field headers and you should get
    >a drop down list...
    >
    >
    > Oh wait... I am on Windows 7... maybe there is a difference.
    >
    > Works that way for Vista as well, but not sure about earlier releases.
     
    Fruit2O, Dec 29, 2009
    #14
  15. Fruit2O

    Fruit2O Guest

    I downloaded MediaInfo but have no idea how to use it. Could you help?

    On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 04:22:09 GMT, Netmask <> wrote:

    >On 29/12/2009 13:13, Fruit2O wrote:
    >> Tried that - didn't work.
    >>
    >> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:20:55 -0800, Capt. Cave Man
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:41:46 -0500, Fruit2O<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 03:16:42 GMT, Netmask<> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 28/12/2009 05:12, Fruit2O wrote:
    >>>>>> Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>>>>> in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>>>>> However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>>>>> of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>>>>> everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>>>>> them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Try Date Modified
    >>>>
    >>>> Now, there's an answer!!! Thank you for cutting to the chase. I don't
    >>>> know why it would work (especially if the clip WAS modified) but I'll
    >>>> try it. I have one of those Vista Bibles and it doesn't even mention
    >>>> the metadata. Also, there has to be a way to enter some of the
    >>>> metadata and I want to learn how to do that.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Well, then ADD the "date created" field and use that to sort.

    >Maybe it's a permission thing? Log on as administrator and try again.
    >Just to clarify when you add a field "date created" or whatever do you
    >actually get a bunch of dates? or is the problem when you click on the
    >column to sort nothing happens?
    >
    >You could also check one of your avi files with MediaInfo (free program)
    >and post the log.
     
    Fruit2O, Dec 29, 2009
    #15
  16. On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:12:36 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    wrote:

    >
    >In article <>,
    >Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >>I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
    >>The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
    >>description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
    >>woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
    >>end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
    >>files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
    >>temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
    >>the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
    >>the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
    >>AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
    >>together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
    >>taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
    >>do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
    >>in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
    >>be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
    >>I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
    >>me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
    >>Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
    >>want to use it. Thank you............

    >
    >Perhaps I'm missing something here; as Vista/7 might actually do things
    >differently from XP. In the old days, when you referred to "sorting" files
    >within a folder, it meant that the directory was actually re-written with
    >the file entries appearing in the order you specified.


    No, it didn't. No, not ever.

    > The verification
    >was to drop to command prompt, and get a "dir" listing with no sorting
    >applied. If the file names appeared in the order you expected, then the
    >folder had really been sorted.


    You did not take any formal computer training. I can tell. If you
    did, you were sleeping or whacked out on meth.

    >AFAIK recent versions of Windows can't do anything of the type.


    As far as you know, could mean nearly anything, but most likely means
    that you do not know. I can verify that fact. The action you claim was
    the norm never was the norm under ANY operating system.

    > When you
    >"sort" using Explorer, what you're really doing is modifying the order in
    >which the file names are displayed on the screen,


    No shit, Dip Tracy.

    > and saving that
    >preference so that the next time Explorer opens that folder, it will do
    >the same thing. However, the actual order in which the file names appear
    >in the physical directory sector(s) is unchanged - it's basically the
    >order in which they were added there in the first place.


    Always has been... always will be. Short of a defrag, it will not
    change either. And even a defrag does not do it on an NTFS drive.

    >The upshot is that any program which relies on the Windows Explorer "view"
    >for the order in which files are to appear, may retain your preference;
    >but any other approach (like a DOS read) will fail to reflect your
    >"sorting" preferences.


    You should take another course on DOS and computer basics.

    Regardless of the OS, there are NONE that re-write files in a volume
    they are contained in, simply because a dope like you thinks that the
    actual file locations and write order should match what your sorting on
    screen appears to be.

    Again, there is NO OS anywhere that works they way you claim.

    One can, however, perform a NEW write operation to a NEW directory and
    make those write occur in a specific order, but there is not now, nor has
    there ever been, a directory utility that re-writes a directory listing
    to match the console view of it.

    It simply makes NO sense to move a file once it is written. Even moves
    within a volume from directory to directory do not re-write the file. It
    merely changes the location reference to "where" the file is. The file
    itself remains in the exact same location on the drive.

    When you move it to a different volume, it actually does move.
     
    Capt. Cave Man, Dec 30, 2009
    #16
  17. Fruit2O

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Capt. Cave Man <I get my insurance online> wrote:
    >On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:12:36 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>In article <>,
    >>Fruit2O <> wrote:
    >>>I have a folder which contains many *.jpg files and many *.AVI files.
    >>>The file names are whatever the camera assigned to them (no
    >>>description). I have been sorting the folder by Date>Descending. This
    >>>woeks for my JPG files - but separates the AVI files (puts them on the
    >>>end of the list as if I had sorted by Type. It seems as if the AVI
    >>>files are not recognized by DATE. To partly solve the problem
    >>>temporarily, I placed all the JPG files in a separate folder and sorted
    >>>the same way. This works - but the AVI files are now separated from
    >>>the JPG files because they're in a separate folder (Both the JPG and
    >>>AVI files were taken with the same camera and I would like to keep them
    >>>together in the same folder which I would name first with the date
    >>>taken and then a short description). Now, with the AVI files all alone
    >>>in their own folder, I tried to sort them by Date in descending order.
    >>>However, no Date shows up in the listing with details. At the bottom
    >>>of the attribute list is an item which says 'More.' So I checked
    >>>everything that had the word Date in it and tried sorting by each of
    >>>them. The most obvious one (I thought) was Date Created. These dates
    >>>do not represent the date the movie files were taken. I need some help
    >>>in sorting all my files and, another thing that would be helpful would
    >>>be definitions of all the possible attributes for the AVI files. Hope
    >>>I chose the correct Groups to post this in. Perhaps someone can help
    >>>me out or point me in the right direction. I am using Vista Premium
    >>>Home Edition. By the way, the email address is true should someone
    >>>want to use it. Thank you............

    >>
    >>Perhaps I'm missing something here; as Vista/7 might actually do things
    >>differently from XP. In the old days, when you referred to "sorting" files
    >>within a folder, it meant that the directory was actually re-written with
    >>the file entries appearing in the order you specified.

    >
    > No, it didn't. No, not ever.


    Not native to Windows itself. But the fact that direct disc access was
    possible in earlier versions of Windows made it possible for third-party
    utilities to do so:

    http://www8.pair.com/dmurdoch/programs/lfnsort.htm

    I used this for Win9x but, of course, it stopped working as of 2000/XP.

    > You did not take any formal computer training. I can tell. If you
    >did, you were sleeping or whacked out on meth.


    No I didn't. But in the 20 years I've been posting to Usenet, it never was
    a requirement to have a degree in the subject matter of a newsgroup in
    order to post. Any now, as Usenet slowly dies, I certainly am not going to
    restrict myself because of what someone like you has to say about it.
    Refute the facts - great. But after all these years I'm far too
    thick-skinned to be swayed by gratuitous insults.
     
    Mike S., Dec 30, 2009
    #17
  18. On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:56:41 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Capt. Cave Man <I get my insurance online> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:12:36 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    >>wrote:


    >>>Perhaps I'm missing something here; as Vista/7 might actually do things
    >>>differently from XP. In the old days, when you referred to "sorting" files
    >>>within a folder, it meant that the directory was actually re-written with
    >>>the file entries appearing in the order you specified.

    >>
    >> No, it didn't. No, not ever.

    >
    >Not native to Windows itself. But the fact that direct disc access was
    >possible in earlier versions of Windows made it possible for third-party
    >utilities to do so:
    >
    >http://www8.pair.com/dmurdoch/programs/lfnsort.htm
    >
    >I used this for Win9x but, of course, it stopped working as of 2000/XP.


    You ain't real bright, boy. The discussion was about OSes. An OS
    author would not EVER perform an operation the way you described
    (re-writing a listing to match a sorted view of a directory).

    >> You did not take any formal computer training. I can tell. If you
    >>did, you were sleeping or whacked out on meth.

    >
    >No I didn't. But in the 20 years I've been posting to Usenet, it never was
    >a requirement to have a degree in the subject matter of a newsgroup in
    >order to post.


    You obviously missed the point of my comment.

    > Any now, as Usenet slowly dies, I certainly am not going to
    >restrict myself because of what someone like you has to say about it.


    When you make retarded, false comments about the hardware we work with,
    you are going to get it back in your face, you stupid ****.

    Nice snippage of ALL the points that did just that. How convenient for
    you. It still does not change the facts.

    >Refute the facts - great. But after all these years I'm far too
    >thick-skinned to be swayed by gratuitous insults.


    Telling you that the remarks you made were false was NOT an insult, you
    stupid ****. And despite your claim of thick skin, it DID have an effect
    or you would not have conveniently snipped the portions of the post that
    proved just how stupid you really are.
     
    Capt. Cave Man, Dec 30, 2009
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ron Natalie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    686
    Ron Natalie
    Feb 2, 2006
  2. anthony
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    1,278
    Scott Baker
    Jun 28, 2005
  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    VGA-s-video or video out of some sort.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 7, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    1,308
    FreedomChooser
    Jul 12, 2005
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,761
  5. comsciepartner
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    876
    comsciepartner
    Oct 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page