How soon before NZ Phone and Internet collapse?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.datemas.de, Aug 15, 2009.

  1. Interesting conversation with a Telecom tech today.
    (One of the one's being hived off to the Aussy outfit that only offers self
    employed Contracts)
    I gather the change over is imminent and 'none' of the key backbone staff
    are taking up the Contracts.
    The comment 'the Manager is defecating himself' was rather telling.

    Looks like the Politician's have finally had their privatisation chickens
    come home to roost.
    AFAIK Chorus and the other sub Contractors are all private enterprises.
    The Tech's are no therefore not state employee's.
    Therefore they can not be forced to carry on doing the work as you could
    force police or military.

    The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to retire,
    emigrate, or change career.
    Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each for test equipment for an
    income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

    We all thought Gatting was a dimwit, seems Reynolds is not that much
    brighter.

    Paul.
    news.datemas.de, Aug 15, 2009

  2. news.datemas.de

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 15, 4:30 pm, "news.datemas.de" <> wrote:

    > The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to retire,
    > emigrate, or change career.
    > Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each  for test equipment for an
    > income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

    Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
    'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
    reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
    monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
    are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
    industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
    up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.

    For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
    Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
    they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
    getting a Telecom service.
    peterwn, Aug 15, 2009

  3. news.datemas.de

    Enkidu Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 4:30 pm, "news.datemas.de" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to retire,
    >> emigrate, or change career.
    >> Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each for test equipment for an
    >> income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

    > Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
    > 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
    > reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
    > monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
    > are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
    > industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
    > up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
    >
    > For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
    > Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
    > they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
    > getting a Telecom service.

    You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand it
    would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to three
    years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 15, 2009
  4. news.datemas.de

    victor Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    >> On Aug 15, 4:30 pm, "news.datemas.de" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The feeling I got was the key personnell involved are quite happy to
    >>> retire,
    >>> emigrate, or change career.
    >>> Coughing up hundreds of thousands of dollars each for test equipment
    >>> for an
    >>> income much the same as they get now just doesn't make economic sense.

    >> Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
    >> 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
    >> reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
    >> monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
    >> are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
    >> industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
    >> up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
    >>
    >> For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
    >> Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
    >> they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
    >> getting a Telecom service.
    > >

    > You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand it
    > would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to three
    > years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Why 10 times worse, why not 1000 or 10000, if you are pulling figures
    out of your arse, you could at least make them impressive.
    victor, Aug 15, 2009
  5. news.datemas.de

    Enkidu Guest

    victor wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> peterwn wrote:

    >>> Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
    >>> 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
    >>> reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
    >>> monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
    >>> are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
    >>> industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
    >>> up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
    >>>
    >>> For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
    >>> Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
    >>> they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
    >>> getting a Telecom service.
    >> >

    >> You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand
    >> it would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to
    >> three years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.

    > Why 10 times worse, why not 1000 or 10000, if you are pulling figures
    > out of your arse, you could at least make them impressive.

    Fine. Ignore the signs. In Australian there was competition but
    TelstraClear monstered AAPT (aka NZ Telecom's Australian arm). Should
    they throw the whole resources of TelstraClear against NZ Telecom then
    Telecom would be gone.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 15, 2009
  6. In article <h665if$5s6$-september.org>, victor <> wrote:
    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> peterwn wrote:

    >>> Will be interesting to watch this one. Telecom probably thinks it can
    >>> 'tough it out' - to hell if they cannot connect people or fix faults
    >>> reasonably quickly. Trouble is, while Telecom appears to have a
    >>> monopoly, over a larghe portion of the customer base, other options
    >>> are now available. One firm had to delay an office shift because of
    >>> industrial action associated with this - in some cases they can sign
    >>> up with TelstraClear's downtown or commercial centre networks.
    >>>
    >>> For residentials, customers can get their phones and internet from
    >>> Vodafone (or TelstraClear in Wellington or Christchurch) and even if
    >>> they do this as a temporary expedient, they may never get around to
    >>> getting a Telecom service.
    >> >

    >> You think Telecom is bad? If TelstraClear were to get the upper hand it
    >> would be 10 times worse. Imagine what it would be like in two to three
    >> years with NO Telecom and Vodafone a mere wart on TC's back.

    >Why 10 times worse, why not 1000 or 10000, if you are pulling figures
    >out of your arse, you could at least make them impressive.

    Because ... 64.27 % of statistics are made up on the spot. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 24, 2009