How slow can you go?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
    it isn't even showing on their server).

    My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over the
    last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me go to
    www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.

    This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within NZ,
    two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed right?
    The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The results are
    given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted to me as the
    speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256 kbps
    connection to the internet.

    The results for my connection tonight are:

    Speed Location Hosted By
    160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 20.8 kbps

    (Obviously they haven't implemented the planned Australian part of the test,
    possibly why there are presently two parts coming direct from Orcon).

    20.8 kbps???? My old 486 came with a 28.8 kbps modem that worked at that
    speed right out in the sticks.

    So where is my 256 kbps? I don't even get close to that speed direct from
    my ISP. I was prompted to try this test again tonight as I get the
    newsletter from tomshardware and was trying to read an article and I could
    basically read a whole magazine between waiting for pages to load. When I
    tried it last week it was a little better for international, around 50 kbps
    from memory.

    Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005

  2. ~misfit~

    Mercury Guest

    2mbs plan I think - tested via a wireless G connection through a XP SP2
    f/w, server s/w f/w, & a h/w f/w. Connectionis via iHug and I don't have
    problems with it ever. Plus I am out in the whops!

    Speed Location Hosted By
    1270.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    815.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    1446.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    834.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    742.6 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 1177.4 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 788.5 kbps

    Mercury, Apr 19, 2005

  3. ~misfit~

    Paul Guest

    I am on 256k Bitstream with Orcon as well, its acceptable for me

    258.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    210.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    243.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    165.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    218.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 237.5 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 192.0 kbps

    Paul, Apr 19, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:14:18 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    My spiffy 56k dialup smokes that! :)

    41.4 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    41.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    Invisible, Apr 19, 2005
  5. ~misfit~

    David Preece Guest

    512kbit/sec Paradise cable:

    Speed Location Hosted By

    307.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    228.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    133.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    347.4 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    347.2 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 223.1 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 347.3 kbps

    David Preece, Apr 19, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:14:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    <snip>
    > Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?

    Speed Location Hosted By
    261.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    251.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    267.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    244.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    241.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 260.0 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 243.3 kbps

    On IHUG UBS. Upper Hutt, about 1.5Km from exchange.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Apr 19, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Allistar Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
    > it isn't even showing on their server).
    >
    > My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over
    > the last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me
    > go to www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.
    >
    > This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within
    > NZ, two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed
    > right? The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The
    > results are given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted
    > to me as the speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256
    > kbps connection to the internet.
    >
    > The results for my connection tonight are:
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    > Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    2Mb/s plan with Paradise:

    Speed Location Hosted By
    1004.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    970.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    1058.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    542.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    844.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 1010.9 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 693.2 kbps

    A bit disappointing for a 2Mb/s connection.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Apr 19, 2005
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    phstpok wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > 56k while reading news
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 43.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 40.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 42.6 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 42.1 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 41.4 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    > Summary
    > Average (New Zealand): 42.2 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 41.8 kbps
    >
    > 56k while playing freecell (4 wins)
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 44.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 42.6 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 42.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 42.6 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 43.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    > Summary
    > Average (New Zealand): 43.2 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 42.8 kbps

    That's two people on dial-up who get faster international than I do. Wicked,
    I'm calling Orcon in the morning, this sucks. I've given their guys
    tracert's and pathping's that were requested days ago and I'm still getting
    a shit connection. I think I'll only pay them $14.95 this month and tell
    them they're lucky to get that.

    Thanks to everyone who tested their connections, appreciated.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > I am on 256k Bitstream with Orcon as well, its acceptable for me
    >
    > 258.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 210.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 243.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 165.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 218.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    >
    > Summary
    > Average (New Zealand): 237.5 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 192.0 kbps

    I read that and I thought I was being seriously ripped off. I just tested
    again and, for the first time in five days and about the same number of
    tests I got acceptable results:

    Speed Location Hosted By
    259.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    248.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    265.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    208.6 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    245.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 257.7 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 227.1 kbps

    However, this test was done at 3am, all the others were done during normal
    hours. I'll test again tomorrow during the day and see. That's the first
    time I've got over 100 kbps for international and over 200 for NZ.

    Either it's because of congestion at different times of the day or Orcon
    have fixed it in the last five hours. The post I sent through their server
    still hasn't shown up BTW and it was sent an hour earlier than the one
    below.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:14:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?

    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 261.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 251.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 267.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 244.8 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 241.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    > Summary
    > Average (New Zealand): 260.0 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 243.3 kbps
    >
    > On IHUG UBS. Upper Hutt, about 1.5Km from exchange.

    Hi Malcolm, I've just discovered mine's good at 3am. I might have to become
    fully nocturnal:

    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 257.7 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 227.1 kbps

    I'll test again tomorrow during a busier time.

    Cheers mate,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
    > it isn't even showing on their server).
    >
    > My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over the
    > last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me go to
    > www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.
    >
    > This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within NZ,
    > two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed right?
    > The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The results are
    > given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted to me as the
    > speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256 kbps
    > connection to the internet.
    >
    > The results for my connection tonight are:
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    >

    > Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 20.8 kbps
    >
    > (Obviously they haven't implemented the planned Australian part of the test,
    > possibly why there are presently two parts coming direct from Orcon).
    >
    > 20.8 kbps???? My old 486 came with a 28.8 kbps modem that worked at that
    > speed right out in the sticks.
    >
    > So where is my 256 kbps? I don't even get close to that speed direct from
    > my ISP. I was prompted to try this test again tonight as I get the
    > newsletter from tomshardware and was trying to read an article and I could
    > basically read a whole magazine between waiting for pages to load. When I
    > tried it last week it was a little better for international, around 50 kbps
    > from memory.
    >
    > Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?

    Speed Location Hosted By
    1805.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    1620.6 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    1992.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    786.6 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    1186.6 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 1806.2 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 986.6 kbps

    Orcon(Jetstream 2Mb)

    ChrisOD, Apr 19, 2005
  12. David Preece wrote:
    > 512kbit/sec Paradise cable:
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    >
    > 307.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 228.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 133.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 347.4 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 347.2 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    >
    > Summary
    > Average (New Zealand): 223.1 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 347.3 kbps

    heh, gotta love de-peering and that "intl" traffic is faster than "nat"
    traffic...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 19, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    Ron Guest

    My test through TelstraClear 256k plan:

    Speed Location Hosted By
    247.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    228.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    258.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    246.3 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    241.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems

    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 244.7 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 244.0 kbps

    So I am happy...

    Ron

    Ron, Apr 19, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    Andrew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > (Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted it from Orcon over an hour ago and
    > it isn't even showing on their server).
    >
    > My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over the
    > last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me go to
    > www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.
    >
    > This page checks by downloading data from five sources. Three are within NZ,
    > two of which actually come from Orcon so they should be full speed right?
    > The other is Ihug. Then there are two sources in the USA. The results are
    > given in kbps, the same units of measurement that was quoted to me as the
    > speed of the connection I purchased. I thought I bought a 256 kbps
    > connection to the internet.
    >
    > The results for my connection tonight are:
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    >

    > Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 20.8 kbps
    >
    > (Obviously they haven't implemented the planned Australian part of the test,
    > possibly why there are presently two parts coming direct from Orcon).
    >
    > 20.8 kbps???? My old 486 came with a 28.8 kbps modem that worked at that
    > speed right out in the sticks.
    >
    > So where is my 256 kbps? I don't even get close to that speed direct from
    > my ISP. I was prompted to try this test again tonight as I get the
    > newsletter from tomshardware and was trying to read an article and I could
    > basically read a whole magazine between waiting for pages to load. When I
    > tried it last week it was a little better for international, around 50 kbps
    > from memory.
    >
    > Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Wicked stuff - International is a bit hammered though

    Speed Location Hosted By
    8989.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    5102.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    7366.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    1332.4 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    1241.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 7152.5 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 1287.1 kbps

    Andrew, Apr 19, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    SteveM Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    SNIP

    > Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Speed Location Hosted By
    884.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    921.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    939.6 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    527.3 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    646.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 915.0 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 586.7 kbps

    WiredCountry 1 Meg wireless off the skytower through Ihug.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Apr 19, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    XPD Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > My Orcon UBS has been virtually unusable for anything international over

    the
    > last two days. When I last got an email from Orcon support they had me go

    > www.speedtest.co.nz and check my speed.

    Just performed a test there right now... (9am'ish)

    Speed Location Hosted By
    248.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    242.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    260.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    234.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    233.5 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 250.3 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 233.9 kbps

    This is via UBS 256k with Quicksilver - this connection gets shared between
    2 systems online 24/7 and 2 others that come and go.

    XPD, Apr 19, 2005
  17. ~misfit~

    David Preece Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > heh, gotta love de-peering and that "intl" traffic is faster than "nat"
    > traffic...

    Yeah, insanity on legs. Still, look on the bright side...

    Oh, hang on.

    Dave

    David Preece, Apr 19, 2005
  18. Hi there,

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 20.8 kbps
    >
    > Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?

    Speed Location Hosted By
    1212.5 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    1147.8 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    1261.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    890.1 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    851.2 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 1207.2 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 870.6 kbps

    Thats from TPG Internet 1.5Mbps DSL in Brisbane...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 19, 2005
  19. Hi there,

    Andrew wrote:

    > Wicked stuff - International is a bit hammered though
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 8989.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 5102.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 7366.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 1332.4 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 1241.7 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    > Summary
    > Average (New Zealand): 7152.5 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 1287.1 kbps

    Nice...although I suspect that is tested from your work internet
    connection? :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 19, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > The results for my connection tonight are:
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 160.3 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 144.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 155.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 15.5 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 26.1 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    >

    > Average (New Zealand): 153.3 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 20.8 kbps
    >

    > Anyone else want to do the test and post your results?

    Speed Location Hosted By
    255.1 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    218.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    268.2 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    247.7 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    242.3 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 247.2 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 245.0 kbps

    tested on 20/04/05 at 9.30am, Orcon 256k UBS. Looks OK here.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 19, 2005