    Files.

    Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

    Tracker
    mailbox, May 3, 2004

  2. (mailbox) sent news:47730f14.0405022323.1038b307
    @posting.google.com

    OrgName: US Network Services
    OrgID: USNS
    Address: 2722 Eastlake Ave East
    City: Seattle
    StateProv: WA
    PostalCode: 98102
    Country: US

    NetRange: 66.109.192.0 - 66.109.207.255
    CIDR: 66.109.192.0/20
    NetName: USNS-2-NET
    NetHandle: NET-66-109-192-0-1
    Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: LINUS.KALLBACK.COM
    NameServer: GATE.KALLBACK.COM
    NameServer: BART.KALLBACK.COM
    Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
    RegDate: 2001-05-31
    Updated: 2001-10-19

    TechHandle: LI37-ARIN
    TechName: International Telcom, Ltd.
    TechPhone: +1-800-780-9993
    TechEmail:

    OrgTechHandle: LI37-ARIN
    OrgTechName: International Telcom, Ltd.
    OrgTechPhone: +1-800-780-9993
    OrgTechEmail:

    Tim S. Knight, May 3, 2004

  3. On 3 May 2004 00:23:08 -0700, mailbox spoketh

    >Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    >files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    >Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    >need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    >Files.
    >
    >Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    >Tracker

    I'll bite. I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K, but
    I'll substitute with c:\winnt. So, here's the list:

    $NTServicePackUninstall$
    $NtUninstallKB823182$
    $NtUninstallKB823559$
    $NtUninstallKB823980$
    $NtUninstallKB824105$
    $NtUninstallQ815021$
    $NtUninstallQ828026$
    $NtUninstallSP2SRP1$
    CSC
    inf
    Installer (interesting folder, lets go in)
    {00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00030409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00040409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00100409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {00120409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    {10253A5A-081B-4146-9D76-00547EED4001}
    {47D5D869-FE57-4F2F-A358-83CFAA7B4968}
    19977885.msi
    1D48A315.msi
    27228fc.msi
    2b9db3f8.msi
    2de4bd8a.msi
    Offline Web Pages
    PIF

    Now, for some "hidden" files:
    desktop.ini
    folder.htt
    mpcwin01.tvl
    ShellIconCache
    Winnt.bmp
    Winnt256.bmp

    Well, who knew that the W2K logo's where hidden files and a security
    risk.

    Now, what's your analysis, Debbie? How badly hacked is my computer?

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
    Lars M. Hansen, May 3, 2004
  4. mailbox

    Mike Guest

    "mailbox" <> wrote in message
    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > Files.
    >
    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

    I don't have a c:\windows directory!
    I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

    When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
    allow me. Have I been hacked?

    My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:? I tried creating a \Windows
    directory but it said I didn't have permission.

    Please help me.........
    Mike, May 3, 2004
  5. mailbox

    Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > Files.
    >
    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

    ROFL...priceless.

    --
    Conor

    If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything
    worthwhile.
    Conor, May 3, 2004
  6. mailbox

    Mimic Guest

    "mailbox" <> wrote in message
    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > Files.
    >
    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >
    > Tracker

    OK debbs, how about you tell me, I dont have any "light color" folders
    [hidden to normal people]. I do have:

    Docs && settings
    inetpub
    nvidia
    program files
    windows
    wutemp
    mycnf.cnf

    So, what can you tellme about my machine, theres actually alot you can glean
    from that dir listing, if you arent to thick and know a bit.

    --
    Mimic

    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
    "Alzheimer's, cheaper than rohypnol"
    and those that dont."
    Mimic, May 3, 2004
  7. "Mike" <> wrote in message news:c75c9e$383$...

    > "mailbox" <> wrote in message
    > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > > Files.
    > >
    > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

    > I don't have a c:\windows directory!

    She said "C:Windows" not "C:\Windows"

    > I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

    Well, if that all ya got - it'll *have* to do I guess. :O)

    > When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
    > allow me. Have I been hacked?

    Obviously, if you are not *allowed* to do things. It sounds
    like someone called the "Administrator" owns yer box.

    > My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?

    Weird, you really should get that fixed. :0\

    > I tried creating a \Windows
    > directory but it said I didn't have permission.

    On *either* computer!?

    You are *soooo oownnned* dude.

    I have Win98 and *never* have had to ask for permission to
    do stuff. Maybe you should upgrade to Win98?

    > Please help me.........

    Sorry, but you must ask the "Administrator" for permission
    to plead for help in usenet.

    ....or get special dispensation from Fluffy.
    FromTheRafters, May 3, 2004
  8. "Conor" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    > > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    > > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    > > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    > > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    > > Files.
    > >
    > > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    > >

    > ROFL...priceless.

    I was thinking almost the same thing, worthless. ;o)
    FromTheRafters, May 3, 2004
  9. mailbox

    Ian Kenefick Guest

    Lars M. Hansen wrote:
    > On 3 May 2004 00:23:08 -0700, mailbox spoketh
    >

    >>Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
    >>files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
    >>Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
    >>Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
    >>need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
    >>Files.
    >>
    >>Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
    >>
    >>Tracker

    > I'll bite. I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K, but
    > I'll substitute with c:\winnt. So, here's the list:
    >
    > $NTServicePackUninstall$
    > $NtUninstallKB823182$
    > $NtUninstallKB823559$
    > $NtUninstallKB823980$
    > $NtUninstallKB824105$
    > $NtUninstallQ815021$
    > $NtUninstallQ828026$
    > $NtUninstallSP2SRP1$
    > CSC
    > inf
    > Installer (interesting folder, lets go in)
    > {00010409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00030409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00040409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00100409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {00120409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}
    > {10253A5A-081B-4146-9D76-00547EED4001}
    > {47D5D869-FE57-4F2F-A358-83CFAA7B4968}
    > 19977885.msi
    > 1D48A315.msi
    > 27228fc.msi
    > 2b9db3f8.msi
    > 2de4bd8a.msi
    > Offline Web Pages
    > PIF
    >
    > Now, for some "hidden" files:
    > desktop.ini
    > folder.htt
    > mpcwin01.tvl
    > ShellIconCache
    > Winnt.bmp
    > Winnt256.bmp
    >
    > Well, who knew that the W2K logo's where hidden files and a security
    > risk.
    >
    > Now, what's your analysis, Debbie? How badly hacked is my computer?
    >

    > Lars M. Hansen
    > http://www.hansenonline.net
    > (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

    Hello,
    > I don't have a c:\windows folder since I'm running W2K

    but he said

    > C:Windows Directory

    in Windows 2k winnt is the Windows Folder %windir% ;-)

    Ian.
    Ian Kenefick, May 3, 2004
  10. mailbox

    Ian Kenefick Guest

    Hello,

    >> I don't have a c:\windows directory!
    >> I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

    they are the same thing. In windows NT and 2k the folder is WINNT. In
    95/98/ME/XP and so on the folder is simply WIndows.

    Ian.
    Ian Kenefick, May 3, 2004
  11. mailbox

    Ian Kenefick Guest

    Hi,

    > My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?

    Are you sure you are running windows? You may be running linux, Suse,
    redhat etc...

    Ian.
    Ian Kenefick, May 3, 2004
  12. mailbox

    Ian Kenefick Guest

    Hi Conor,

    >> ROFL...priceless.

    Is this your intellectual contribution? I though you might want to add
    something actually worth reading....

    With regards to your comment... I myself ROFL at you.

    Ian.
    Ian Kenefick, May 3, 2004
  13. mailbox

    Ian Kenefick Guest

    Hi,

    >> I was thinking almost the same thing, worthless. ;o)

    See my reply to Conor.

    Ian.
    Ian Kenefick, May 3, 2004
  14. On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:19:05 +0100, Ian Kenefick spoketh

    >> C:Windows Directory

    >in Windows 2k winnt is the Windows Folder %windir% ;-)
    >
    >Ian.

    I definitely don't have a "C:windows" directory; not on my W2K Pro
    workstations, nor on my WXP laptop nor W2K3 server... :)

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net
    Lars M. Hansen, May 3, 2004
  15. mailbox

    Ian Kenefick Guest

    Hi Tracker,

    whilst your idea to go through your windows directory is not _POINTLESS_
    as other posts may suggest. There are other ways to locate and remove >
    Dangerous code

    Update your antivirus and scan your computer.

    I say it is not pointless if it helps you recognise a suspicious object
    in your windows directory.

    For example, when msblast.exe in system32 requested permission to access
    the internet on desktop firewalls how many people tied this up with the
    fact that their RPC service was failing and their PC was rebooting? This
    type of conversation can help and so shouldn't be knocked.

    Ian.
    Ian Kenefick, May 3, 2004
  16. mailbox

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Mike mused:

    | Please help me.........

    You've been hacked/owned. ROFL
    mhicaoidh, May 3, 2004
  17. mailbox

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ian Kenefick mused:

    | they are the same thing. In windows NT and 2k the folder is WINNT. In
    | 95/98/ME/XP and so on the folder is simply WIndows.

    He knows ... he's taking the piss.
    mhicaoidh, May 3, 2004
  18. Quoth the raven named Ian Kenefick:

    > Hi Tracker,
    >
    > whilst your idea ..

    Ian, are you new here? Today?

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 3, 2004
  19. mailbox

    Eliza Guest

    "mailbox" entered the consulting room...

    How do you do. Please tell me your problem.

    > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of
    > our files in this directory visible.

    What does that suggest to you?

    > Tell the group the names of the Folders and Files which show as a
    > light color and let's discuss this.

    I see.

    > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory

    Can you think of a specific example?

    > and but you need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show)
    > all Hidden Files.

    We were discussing you - not me.

    > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!

    Do computers worry you?

    > Tracker

    I'm not sure I understand you fully.
    Eliza, May 3, 2004
  20. "Ian Kenefick" <> wrote in message news:c75omk$52r$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > >> I was thinking almost the same thing, worthless. ;o)

    > See my reply to Conor.

    You will eventually learn that it is futile to attempt to insert
    meaningful posts into a "Tracker" thread. The "meaningful"
    contributions that you made in this thread are in response
    to posters just having a go at Debbie.

    Like it or not, I will respond to whatever posts I desire to
    respond to.

    HAND
    FromTheRafters, May 3, 2004