    Does anyone know what security implcartions there are on newsgroups?

    thanks
    Andy

    Andy, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Use anti virus software as News Group posts can be infected or the post can be in HTML have
    embedded malware and/or exploit scripts.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Andy

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Does anyone know what security implcartions there are on newsgroups?

    There are several things to consider:

    1) The news reader should not render HTML in the reading pane.

    2) The news reader, if it decodes MIME objects, meaning if it can decode
    graphics and movies, should not launch them for your viewing - it should
    just put them on the drive and let you view them later.

    3) The news reader should really only display TEXT, not HTML.

    4) You need a strong Antivirus program if you use anything other than
    TEXT view mode, well, you need strong AV all the time anyway.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Andy

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > hey leythos I just checked my newsgroup reader options and i saw i had
    > a check in the box called "launch binary attachments". i saw another
    > option box that read "doubleclick on message lauches binary
    > attachment".
    >
    > are these the options that should turned off if i don't want to render
    > html?
    > gina

    I don't have a clue, I don't know what newsreader you're using.

    I use Gravity as my news reader and never experience a problem with
    security.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Andy

    David Shaw Guest

    It's fairly safe if you're using an antivirus and have a patched
    operating system. No more dangerous than browsing the internet or
    checked your email :)

    -ds

    David Shaw, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Gina is using; Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243 and I don't know specifically the answers
    either.

    I use OE and I set all posts to "plain text" and if I reply to a HTML post, OE is set to
    reply in "Plain Text".

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Andy

    Jbob Guest

    I wish there was a way to prevent html(reading) in the Newsreader but allow
    it in Mail using OE. The only option is text only for both. The new sp2
    blocks a lot of stuff in Mail now.

    Jbob, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Andy

    keexer Guest

    what in the sam hell hill does this mean? render in html?
    i'm intrigued. i'd like to know the setting so i don't render in html.
    keexer a.k.a. gina

    keexer, Oct 3, 2004
  10. Andy

    SteveB Guest

    Leaving your actual e-mail address in messages sent to newsgroups is a sure
    way of getting spammed when the bots find it.

    SteveB, Oct 3, 2004
  11. From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be available for Win98,
    WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version for them.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 3, 2004
  12. Don't forget the Swen worm which will finds email addresses in News Groups and will send
    itself to the email addresses thus found. One it does send itself to the found email it
    will either masquerade as a Microsoft patch or as failed mail.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 3, 2004
  13. Andy

    Vanguardx Guest

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
    wrote in news:xAT7d.515$gS1.314@trndny04:
    > From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be
    > available for Win98, WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version
    > for them.

    I doubt Microsoft would waste its time developing a service pack for
    dead products. End of mainstream support (see http://snipurl.com/s43)
    is:

    Windows 98/98SE - June 2002
    Windows ME - December 2003
    Windows 2000 - June 2005

    Windows XP SP-2 came out August 2004. I doubt they'll even waste time
    to develop another service pack for Windows 2000 since that product
    would go dead a couple months after they would have another service pack
    for it.

    Vanguardx, Oct 3, 2004
  14. Andy

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    (keexer) wrote:

    >hey leythos I just checked my newsgroup reader options and i saw i had
    >a check in the box called "launch binary attachments". i saw another
    >option box that read "doubleclick on message lauches binary
    >attachment".
    >
    >are these the options that should turned off if i don't want to render
    >html?
    >gina

    Geeze, very seldom will you get a strait answer in a new group! (as
    evidenced by the follow-up messages you've gotten)

    Gina, no. These options are for opening up the attachments, not for
    reading the message in text verses html formats. Forte does not read
    the messages in html (you are safe there). But you should also NOT
    open attachments directly from any reader. That would be a bad thing.
    Although Forte will warn you against opening an attachment that is an
    ..exe .com .scr .bat... as they can be carriers of virus'.

    Celtic Leroy, Oct 3, 2004
  15. Andy

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be available for Win98,
    >WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version for them.
    >
    >Dave

    GOOD!!! No one should be allowed to use OE, EVER!! And I'm happy with
    not getting any new releases of IE (I use Win2K).

    You've all heard the sayings "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Well
    I know another, specific to programming, and it applies absolutely to
    MS products..."On each new release, all bets are off!"

    Celtic Leroy, Oct 3, 2004
  16. On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:27:22 GMT, (Andy)
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know what security implcartions there are on newsgroups?
    >
    >thanks
    >Andy

    People know where you are from by reading the header field when you
    post.
    For example you are using an IP address that is listed as being from
    Perth Australia.

    So posting can reveal more information about yourself than just
    reading. Header fields can be changed by poster in different ways.

    QWENTHY_123XZY, Oct 6, 2004
  17. All assuming; a proxy, remailer or "mail to news" service is not used.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 6, 2004
  18. Andy

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:27:58 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >All assuming; a proxy, remailer or "mail to news" service is not used.
    >
    >Dave

    Newscene or Supernews does not post ip address in headers either.

    Chuck, Oct 7, 2004
  19. On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:56:11 -0500, "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote:

    >"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
    >wrote in news:xAT7d.515$gS1.314@trndny04:
    >> From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be
    >> available for Win98, WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version
    >> for them.
    >>

    >I doubt Microsoft would waste its time developing a service pack for
    >dead products. End of mainstream support (see http://snipurl.com/s43)
    >is:
    >
    > Windows 98/98SE - June 2002
    > Windows ME - December 2003
    > Windows 2000 - June 2005
    >
    >Windows XP SP-2 came out August 2004. I doubt they'll even waste time
    >to develop another service pack for Windows 2000 since that product
    >would go dead a couple months after they would have another service pack
    >for it.

    I wonder how many customers Microsoft will lose when they kill off
    windows2000 ?

    register@xp_or_else.com, Oct 9, 2004