  1. Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from the
    Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:
    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from the
    > Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

    It is their source code...

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Jun 29, 2007

  3. In article <>, y says...
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from the
    > > Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:
    > > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

    > It is their source code...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    "Brief testing at Ars showed it to be a morass ...."
    Those guys did NOT have the source. Regardless, hacking someone else's binaries
    and then releasing them is of highly questionable legality (or should I say
    unquestionable illegality) and so I think they did the right thing to shut the
    project down after being told off.

    As an aside: MS haven't managed to drain the swamp. My sources on the inside
    assured me that the source for Vista is still a morass ;-) although the words
    they used were somewhat different.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 29, 2007
  4. In message <>, thingy wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Some folks trying, entirely off their own bat, to salvage something from
    >> the Visaster disaster, and Microsoft very firmly puts the boot in:

    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070628-microsoft-shuts-down-longhorn-reloaded.html>.

    > It is their source code...

    But, depending on the jurisdiction, it can be legal to redistribute
    modifications if they're not done for profit.

    For instance, compare these Israelis
    <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40861>, who are modifying
    Nvidia's drivers to put back support for obsolete cards that the latter has
    been taking out. They've been sent a cease-and-desist letter under US law,
    but they claim they're not breaking Israeli law.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 10, 2007