    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    (Ottawa, Canada)
    Don Phillipson, Jan 27, 2008

  2. I am not sure I understand the issue. How did you configure the Internet
    gateway? Using route command? If yes,, you should use router delete command
    to delete the route.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 27, 2008

  3. Hi
    Unless you describe specifically what you did it is hard to give advice.
    Otherwise, take out the network cards and boot one time without them.
    That would clean the Network system.
    Switch Off insert the cards and reboot you would get a clean Network startup
    and can reconfigure to your special needs.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 27, 2008

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <> wrote in message

    >I am not sure I understand the issue. How did you configure the Internet
    >gateway? Using route command? If yes,, you should use router delete command
    >to delete the route.

    Clarification (sorry I was unclear:)
    Upstairs WinXP PC is connected via wireless card to
    downstairs Win98PC which has
    wireless router (connecting with upstairs) and
    wireless modem (to Internet: no cable here.)

    First implementation worked OK Nov. 2007 until last month
    when the power supply failed in the downstairs PC requiring
    reinstallation of the Win98SE OS. (Meanwhile the router
    and wireless modem still connected the upstairs WinXP to
    the Internet.) Troubles appeared only after reinstallation of
    Win98 downstairs.

    I could then (a) restore OK the wireless network linking upstairs
    and downstairs PCs but (b) not Internet access i.e. neither PC
    could connect to Internet via wireless modem as formerly.

    Then I noticed on WinXP Networks menu "Internet Gateway" and thought that
    might help. It did not and I removed this from the XP PC -- only to find an
    "Internet Gateway" had installed itself on the downstairs Win98 PC, that
    tended to hang the system -- notably its Disable button appeared not to
    work i.e. Systray Icon remained present signalling "Gateway active."

    (The home wireless network has also changed to one-way.
    The upstairs XP sees all downstairs Win98 drives as normal:
    but the upstairs XP has vanished from the downstairs Network Neighborhood.)

    The only system files that include string "gateway" are
    HNWCLI.INF and LCSDCLLT.DLL, both dated 2001 (while most
    Win98SE files are dated no later than 1999: but these might have
    come from the year 2004 Security & Upgrade Disk for Win98.)
    The Win98 system appears unstable with the Internet Gateway
    loaded, and I do not know how to remove this.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    Don Phillipson, Jan 28, 2008