How reliable is UBS and/or Orcon?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
    Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
    never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
    worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
    of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
    linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
    on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
    usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
    most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
    previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
    causing me to get majorly pissed-off.

    Thoughts?

    Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
    next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?

    Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?

    Heh!

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
    >Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
    >never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
    >worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
    >of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
    >linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
    >on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
    >usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
    >most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
    >previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
    >causing me to get majorly pissed-off.
    >
    >Thoughts?
    >
    >Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
    >next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?
    >
    >Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?

    Bear with me!!

    My Ihug connection's connected next week, and I'll give you the
    rundown. Taking a wee while to get connected, however that's telecom's
    fault, and Ihug have given me free dialup in the meantime (and I've
    got good mates who download stuff for me in the interim).

    Orcon's definately the worst I've experienced for a while. The
    difference going from Xtra to Orcon was startlingly noticeable.

    If you can hold off one more week I'll provide an full rundown on
    Ihug's speed etc.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 27, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days
    >> so far. Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the
    >> month before. I never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon
    >> at first. UBS is getting worse, in the last six months it's gone
    >> from being connected for an average of for 6 days at a stretch to
    >> around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly linear too over the
    >> months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play on-line games
    >> and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
    >> usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to
    >> play most every night, currently I haven't played for three days
    >> after the previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at
    >> *exactly* the wrong times causing me to get majorly pissed-off.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >>
    >> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
    >> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
    >> getting drop-outs?
    >>
    >> Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?

    > Bear with me!!
    >
    > My Ihug connection's connected next week, and I'll give you the
    > rundown. Taking a wee while to get connected, however that's telecom's
    > fault, and Ihug have given me free dialup in the meantime (and I've
    > got good mates who download stuff for me in the interim).
    >
    > Orcon's definately the worst I've experienced for a while. The
    > difference going from Xtra to Orcon was startlingly noticeable.
    >
    > If you can hold off one more week I'll provide an full rundown on
    > Ihug's speed etc.

    Ok, thanks. I need to order the change by about the 5th of next month or so.
    When I spoke with Actrix they said Telecom give a 14-day time frame and I
    want to be sure to be changed over by the 23rd before I start another cycle
    with OrCON. I don't want to pay two providors for too long but a bit of
    overlap is better than no connection at all.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2006
  4. On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
    >Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
    >never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
    >worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
    >of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
    >linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
    >on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
    >usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
    >most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
    >previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
    >causing me to get majorly pissed-off.
    >
    >Thoughts?
    >
    >Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
    >next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?
    >
    >Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?
    >
    >Heh!
    >
    >Cheers,

    I am on Ihug in Palmerston North, and yes, there are occasional
    disconnections, but not that often. I am reasonably pleased with
    their service so far, after two months.

    What sort of disconnections are you getting? Does your ADSL modem
    tell you? If they are at the ADSL level, then changing ISPs will not
    help at all, since the problem is in the physical connection between
    your modem and the exchange. If they are at the ATM or particularly
    the PPP level, they may be the ISP's problem, but they could equally
    well be caused by a Telecom box, in which case changing ISPs is also
    quite likely not to fix things. If your modem has logging options,
    turn on all the relevant ones and see if you can work out what sort of
    fault it is, and also call Orcon and get them to tell you what their
    logs say about your disconnections.

    I had a disconnection last night at 01:28, and Ihug told me it was a
    "port error", which I interpret as the ADSL card at the DSLAM in the
    exchange reporting a disconnection. Unfortunately, they don't seem to
    have any more detail than that. Whenever I have this sort of
    disconnection, my Cisco 827 ADSL router does not see any problem for
    about 20-30 minutes. The ADSL and ATM connections are unaffected, and
    the Cisco thinks the PPP connection is still up too, but no data gets
    through, either in or out.

    If I am using my PC at the time the problem occurs and I manually
    disconnect and reconnect at the PPP level only, then I immediately get
    back online again. Since the modem does not have to train,
    reconnection takes less than a second. I am still working on just
    what is going on, but my best guess at the moment is that the problem
    is Telecoms's - certainly a "port error" is all in their part of the
    network.

    Does this sound like what is happening to you? Where traffic simply
    stops and you can not ping anything outside your modem? And it takes
    ages to reconnect unless you do it manually?

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 27, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
    > next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?

    3 or 4 times a month with ihug.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 27, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    geopelia Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >
    > > Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in

    the
    > > next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting

    drop-outs?

    > 3 or 4 times a month with ihug.
    >
    > --
    > EMB

    I've got xtra and find it very good. The plan I'm on covers every time
    except between 5 and 11 at night, when we are watching TV etc anyway.
    It is usually very reliable. They stop most of the spam, too.

    Geipelia

    geopelia, Jan 27, 2006
  7. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
    > Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
    > never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
    > worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
    > of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
    > linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
    > on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
    > usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
    > most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
    > previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
    > causing me to get majorly pissed-off.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
    > next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?
    >
    > Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?
    >
    > Heh!
    >
    > Cheers,

    Well Misfit I will give you the same as I gave steve, what are you doing to
    have all this crap with orcon, please tell me I am missing out :cool:

    My log shows from the 23rd only 4 sessions and that is because I disconnected 3
    of them for reasons of my own. My speed is good, though I have had the odd slow
    session maybe 1 in 10 torrents runs slow but that is probably the remote ends
    fault.

    Everyone complains about Orcons performance yet I do not experiance it and I
    have no fancy magic setup or equipment.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jan 27, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in

    > the
    >> > next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting

    > drop-outs?
    >>
    >> 3 or 4 times a month with ihug.
    >>
    >> --
    >> EMB

    > I've got xtra and find it very good. The plan I'm on covers every time
    > except between 5 and 11 at night, when we are watching TV etc anyway.
    > It is usually very reliable.

    They stop most of the spam, too.
    your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity suite i
    have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam emails comming
    through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that because im not paying them
    for there secruity suite im getting more spam now

    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:

    > They stop most of the spam, too.
    > your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity suite
    > i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam emails
    > comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that because im not
    > paying them for there secruity suite im getting more spam now

    Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day to
    25-35(average)
    Spam is on the increase across the board

    --
    The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
    -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

    Shane, Jan 27, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
    >
    >> They stop most of the spam, too.
    >> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
    >> suite
    >> i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam emails
    >> comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that because im not
    >> paying them for there secruity suite im getting more spam now

    > Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day to
    > 25-35(average)
    > Spam is on the increase across the board

    Its a conspiracy theory I tell you ;-)

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  11. ~misfit~

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
    >
    >> They stop most of the spam, too.

    I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that wrong?
    >> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
    >> suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
    >> emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
    >> because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
    >> spam now

    > Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day
    > to 25-35(average)
    > Spam is on the increase across the board

    No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send spam have
    been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more concentrated - going
    after a particular company, or scam.

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 27, 2006
  12. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> They stop most of the spam, too.

    > I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that wrong?
    >>> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
    >>> suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
    >>> emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
    >>> because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
    >>> spam now

    >> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day
    >> to 25-35(average)
    >> Spam is on the increase across the board

    > No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send spam have
    > been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more concentrated - going
    > after a particular company, or scam.
    >
    > Steve

    I agree that spam (not technically the correct name, but everyone uses
    it) is decreasing, both through my webmail accounts and through Orcon,
    but this might be because others are doing the filtering before I do.

    In fact, the decrease is significant, I'm down to maybe one a day, from
    10 or so. Most of the ones I see at mail.com are phishing.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 27, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    bambam Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in

    >> I've got xtra and find it very good. The plan I'm on covers every
    >> time except between 5 and 11 at night, when we are watching TV etc
    >> anyway. It is usually very reliable.

    > They stop most of the spam, too.
    > your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
    > suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
    > emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
    > because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
    > spam now

    I have had an Xtra email address for about a year, never had any spam. I
    also have addresses with Orcon and Myrealbox, no spam. Hotmail, now that is
    another story, but it is my junk account. ;)

    bambam, Jan 27, 2006
  14. ~misfit~

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:19:14 +1300, Steve wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> They stop most of the spam, too.

    > I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that wrong?
    >>> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
    >>> suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
    >>> emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
    >>> because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
    >>> spam now

    >> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day
    >> to 25-35(average)
    >> Spam is on the increase across the board

    > No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send spam have
    > been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more concentrated - going
    > after a particular company, or scam.
    >
    > Steve

    er.. youre ruining perfectly good pr reasons for ISPs cocking up :p

    --
    Dan: What a beautiful day - the kind of day that starts with a hearty breakfast
    and ends with a newsreader saying, "... before turning the gun on himself."

    Shane, Jan 27, 2006
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days
    >> so far. Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the
    >> month before. I never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon
    >> at first. UBS is getting worse, in the last six months it's gone
    >> from being connected for an average of for 6 days at a stretch to
    >> around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly linear too over the
    >> months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play on-line games
    >> and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
    >> usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to
    >> play most every night, currently I haven't played for three days
    >> after the previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at
    >> *exactly* the wrong times causing me to get majorly pissed-off. Thoughts?
    >>
    >> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
    >> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
    >> getting drop-outs? Is now a good time to move or are prices going to
    >> drop?
    >>
    >> Heh!
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Well Misfit I will give you the same as I gave steve, what are you
    > doing to have all this crap with orcon, please tell me I am missing
    > out :cool:

    I wish I knew, I didn't have these problems with Jetstream.

    > My log shows from the 23rd only 4 sessions and that is because I
    > disconnected 3 of them for reasons of my own.

    Ok, maybe it's a Telecom thing that is localised. I'm in Pukekohe, perhaps
    it's just here?

    > My speed is good,
    > though I have had the odd slow session maybe 1 in 10 torrents runs
    > slow but that is probably the remote ends fault.

    My torrents run fast now and then, not often though. (Even with hundreds of
    sources)

    > Everyone complains about Orcons performance yet I do not experiance
    > it and I have no fancy magic setup or equipment.

    It would seem that you are the exception then. Maybe the question should be
    what are you doing?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2006
  16. > I agree that spam (not technically the correct name, but everyone uses it)
    > is decreasing, both through my webmail accounts and through Orcon, but
    > this might be because others are doing the filtering before I do.
    >
    > In fact, the decrease is significant, I'm down to maybe one a day, from 10
    > or so. Most of the ones I see at mail.com are phishing.

    The amount of total spam trying to come into an ISP has increased yes, but
    antispam measures have got a lot better in the last couple of years (and
    getting very low false positives in blocking proper emails.

    DKIM,SPF,SRS,Reputation Systems,RBL's, SURLS,Callback Systems,Checking for
    Valid Headers (Messages have to have Dates and Message-ID's,Invalid HELO's
    etc + lots more. Thats even before it has got into any type of antispam
    systems such as SpamAssassin which can give ~95% accurancy (1 in 200 wrongly
    classified)(From tests I've done in the past) or things like
    DSPAM/Death2Spam which can give 99.99+ (1 in 10000 wrongly classiied)
    accuracy in identifying spam.

    NZ doesn't have any AntiSpam laws at the moment, but we (NZ) are quite good
    in getting ride of spammers which try and host inside NZ.

    For example see http://www.spam.co.nz/111105-spammer.html.

    These people spammed people and kept doing it. They got kicked off 4-5 ISP's
    in NZ and then moved to overseas. I got them kicked off 1 hosting company in
    the States so they moved to another. I got quite a few of their domains
    canceled due to having very false owner details on them (False
    numbers/Addresses/Names etc). Spammers even set up their own "hosting
    companies" to try and confuse people (See email near bottom of page which is
    replied from the spammers themselves)
    Also they will set up seemingly legitimate websites to get people's email
    addresses to spam to (See end of webpage)
    Complaining to spammers as well is interesting.. after I complained to
    nzpostoffice.co.nz suddenly alot of my spamtrap email addresses stopped
    getting the spam (but still more of them do)

    BTW: If anyone else is getting spam from these people still (and NEVER
    signed up for it), please email me with details.

    Thanks
    Craig
    http://www.spam.co.nz

    PS: If it seems I have a personal grudge againt this spammer.. I do :)

    Craig Whitmore, Jan 28, 2006
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days
    >> so far. Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the
    >> month before. I never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon
    >> at first. UBS is getting worse, in the last six months it's gone
    >> from being connected for an average of for 6 days at a stretch to
    >> around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly linear too over the
    >> months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play on-line games
    >> and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
    >> usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to
    >> play most every night, currently I haven't played for three days
    >> after the previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at
    >> *exactly* the wrong times causing me to get majorly pissed-off.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >>
    >> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
    >> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
    >> getting drop-outs?
    >>
    >> Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?
    >>
    >> Heh!
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I am on Ihug in Palmerston North, and yes, there are occasional
    > disconnections, but not that often. I am reasonably pleased with
    > their service so far, after two months.
    >
    > What sort of disconnections are you getting? Does your ADSL modem
    > tell you? If they are at the ADSL level, then changing ISPs will not
    > help at all, since the problem is in the physical connection between
    > your modem and the exchange. If they are at the ATM or particularly
    > the PPP level, they may be the ISP's problem, but they could equally
    > well be caused by a Telecom box, in which case changing ISPs is also
    > quite likely not to fix things. If your modem has logging options,
    > turn on all the relevant ones and see if you can work out what sort of
    > fault it is, and also call Orcon and get them to tell you what their
    > logs say about your disconnections.

    I've just looked in the router log, it tells me the problems are "PPP link
    down (PPPoA_1) [My IP here]". Then I get several "PPP PAP Authenticate
    Request sent" every minute or so, sometimes with a "PPP PAP authentication
    failed (PPPoA_1)" after it until "PPP PAP Authenticate Ack received" and
    then "PPP link up (PPPoA_1) [My IP here]".

    > I had a disconnection last night at 01:28, and Ihug told me it was a
    > "port error", which I interpret as the ADSL card at the DSLAM in the
    > exchange reporting a disconnection. Unfortunately, they don't seem to
    > have any more detail than that. Whenever I have this sort of
    > disconnection, my Cisco 827 ADSL router does not see any problem for
    > about 20-30 minutes. The ADSL and ATM connections are unaffected, and
    > the Cisco thinks the PPP connection is still up too, but no data gets
    > through, either in or out.

    My Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 knows as soon as the PPP conection fails and goes
    into reconnect mode. It keeps trying until it gets a reconnect. Often these
    disconnects are only for a few minutes, maybe 10 or 15, sometimes longer.
    Most, as in 98%, of the outages are between 1am and 4am. That fact alone
    leads me to believe that the poroblem is with OrCON/Telecon. Outages at a
    time that is least likely to be noticed. For whatever reason.

    > If I am using my PC at the time the problem occurs and I manually
    > disconnect and reconnect at the PPP level only, then I immediately get
    > back online again. Since the modem does not have to train,
    > reconnection takes less than a second. I am still working on just
    > what is going on, but my best guess at the moment is that the problem
    > is Telecoms's - certainly a "port error" is all in their part of the
    > network.
    >
    > Does this sound like what is happening to you? Where traffic simply
    > stops and you can not ping anything outside your modem? And it takes
    > ages to reconnect unless you do it manually?

    See above. If my connection dies I just look at the router. If all three
    LEDs aren't green (The last one is orange) I know the PPP is down. Every so
    often it flashes orange-green-orange as it tries to reconnect. I just wait
    until it stays green, that's when the PPP is back up. Or I swear and go and
    read a book. I don't have to touch the router, it hasn't been re-booted for
    a couple months now. (System uptime 52 days 15:19:30 currently, that was
    when there was a power outage).

    Going by what you said about PPP etc. above would it seem that the problem
    is definitely OrCON/Telecon?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2006
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
    >> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
    >> getting drop-outs?

    > 3 or 4 times a month with ihug.

    That's acceptable. Certainly better than daily. Mind you, after being an
    OrCON customer I guess most Ethiopian ISPs would look good in comparison.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2006
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Steve wrote:

    >> I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that
    >> wrong?
    >>> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a
    >>> day to 25-35(average)
    >>> Spam is on the increase across the board

    >> No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send
    >> spam have been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more
    >> concentrated - going after a particular company, or scam.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > I agree that spam (not technically the correct name, but everyone uses
    > it) is decreasing, both through my webmail accounts and through Orcon,
    > but this might be because others are doing the filtering before I do.
    >
    > In fact, the decrease is significant, I'm down to maybe one a day,
    > from 10 or so. Most of the ones I see at mail.com are phishing.

    I currently get about the same as I always have for the last year or so.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 28, 2006
  20. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day to
    > 25-35(average)
    > Spam is on the increase across the board

    You're doing ok - the mailserver I run for a couple of my clients is
    seeing ~200 spams every hour.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 28, 2006