    My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else had a
    problem lately?
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 19, 2007

  2. Joy

    impossible Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message
    news:eophia$kut$...
    > I've got two machines here and one of them has gone haywire over an
    > automatic update which happened two weeks ago. Today, after
    > investigating the problem, I turned off automatic updates and so far
    > the problem has disappeared.
    > My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else
    > had a problem lately?
    > Joy

    What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
    did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
    automatic updates?

    impossible, Jan 19, 2007

  3. Joy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in

    > What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
    > did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
    > automatic updates?

    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 19, 2007
  4. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Joy" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got two machines here and one of them has gone haywire over an
    >> automatic update which happened two weeks ago. Today, after
    >> investigating the problem, I turned off automatic updates and so far
    >> the problem has disappeared.
    >> My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else
    >> had a problem lately?
    >> Joy

    > What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
    > did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
    > automatic updates?

    Generic Host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs
    to close. This happened on startup or soon after, the memory was hogged and
    it crashed.

    I was not the only one experiencing this problem, thats always comforting.
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21947598.html

    Microsoft site said:
    For Windows XP SP2, the Generic Host Process error can potentially occur on
    any system at any time. Although you receive the error message shortly after
    system startup, the actual error occurred during the previous system
    shutdown.

    And I can't find the link which suggested turning it off.
    And I did do a few other things as well.

    Reconfigured WMDM PMSP service to Manual in Computer Services

    Restored WAV File to Winamp Media File from Creative Media Source
    Player

    Restored winampa in msconfig startup

    Restored UpdReg in msconfig startup

    Took off CTHelper.exe from msconfig startup

    Disabled fast user switching in User Accounts

    Checked that 'enable offline files' was not ticked in My
    Computer-tools-folder options-offline files. Error Event 4356( The COM+
    Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber
    partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}.
    CoGetObject returned HRESULT 8007041F.) Result of search: ( - GUID:
    {6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}, error code: 8000401A (Error code
    0x8000401A) - This GUID/CLSID belongs to the Offline Files "Synchronization
    Manager", or "MobSync.exe", which usually launches during logon from the Run
    key under HKLM. This is not always an option, but disabling Offline Files
    gets rid of the event.)

    Installed UPHClean.exe to log server being used when trying to log off
    user. Suspect that file sharing program is in use when X tries to log off,
    and that this is what is causing the error on the following log on.
    UPHClean stops behind the scenes use of the users resources when loggin off
    and logs who it is. This program runs in the background but can be seen in
    control-alt-delete processes.

    Put AIDA program back on the desktop. AIDA shows all resources for all
    devices and programs as an aid to troubleshooting

    Joy, Jan 19, 2007
  5. Joy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <eopohe$1i2$>, says...

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > > "Joy" <> wrote in message
    > >> I've got two machines here and one of them has gone haywire over an
    > >> automatic update which happened two weeks ago. Today, after
    > >> investigating the problem, I turned off automatic updates and so far
    > >> the problem has disappeared.
    > >> My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else
    > >> had a problem lately?
    > >> Joy

    > > What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
    > > did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
    > > automatic updates?

    > Generic Host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs
    > to close. This happened on startup or soon after, the memory was hogged and
    > it crashed.

    <snip>

    > Installed UPHClean.exe to log server being used when trying to log off

    <snip>

    The user profile clean tool is useful if you experience very slow
    logoffs - I don't think this is going to help you (nor cause any
    problems, so leave it there).

    > Put AIDA program back on the desktop. AIDA shows all resources for all
    > devices and programs as an aid to troubleshooting

    <snip>

    AIDA32 won't help you either - nice utility though.

    The Generic Host process could indeed be a problem (it's commonly hooked
    by viruses for eg).

    The help determine the errors that are *really* happenning - you should
    dig into your event log.

    It's in Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

    Look for failed system and application events - and look them up for
    yourself to see what you can find. You'll need the Event ID and the
    Source. You can look 'em up here:

    http://www.eventid.net

    Another check you can easily make yourself - do a *manual* Windows
    Update - select the Custom option and see what updates Automatic Updates
    is trying to install. See also what updates it won't bother to install
    (but might help you anyway) - ie the non critical ones. And while yer
    there, have a look at your update history.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jan 19, 2007