    but if at the prompt I wite format c:
    I cannot format;

    any ideas?
    de, Apr 29, 2007

  2. de

    Tee Jay Guest

    de wrote:
    > after a bad installation I have mbr error
    > and cannot format the disk;
    > for to have the prompt c:\ I must insert a floppy for boot;
    > but if at the prompt I wite format c:
    > I cannot format;
    >
    > any ideas?

    Are you seeing the C drive in BIOS? It sounds like you either need SATA
    drivers (F6 and install floppy with drivers) during cd boot or you have
    your Hard drives jumpered wrong.
    Good Luck
    Tee Jay
    Tee Jay, Apr 29, 2007

  3. de

    WebWalker Guest

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:51:58 +0200, de <> wrote:

    >after a bad installation I have mbr error
    >and cannot format the disk;
    >for to have the prompt c:\ I must insert a floppy for boot;
    >but if at the prompt I wite format c:
    >I cannot format;
    >
    >any ideas?

    Can you boot using Windows CD?
    If yes, try to delete the present partition and recreate one.
    Windows will do the formatting for you.

    --
    WebWalker
    email:
    WebWalker, May 3, 2007
  4. de

    Brian Guest

    Use Fdisk to check the hdd if the partition is there try scandisk /mbr to
    recreate the mbr if that doesn't work then re-partition the drive and start
    from scratch. Make sure the boot disk is the same or newer than the OS you
    are putting on the harddrive, otherwise you cant read the partition ie it
    may be FAT32 or NTFS and you are trying to read with FAT16 (your partition
    will be listed as non-DOS partition)
    Brian, May 12, 2007