How recreate "registry.dat" file?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Martin Leese, Jul 30, 2005.

  1. Martin Leese

    Martin Leese Guest

    Hi,

    I am running Firefox 1.0.4 with SpywareBlaster 3.4 under
    Windows 95 (and Windows 95 is not supported).

    SpywareBlaster fails to detect my Firefox profile. This
    article:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/9/073/article/

    suggested renaming my "registry.dat" file if it was
    several megabytes in size, and letting Firefox create a
    new file that would be much smaller.

    I found my "registry.dat" file in C:\\Windows\Mozilla\
    and, indeed, it is 13 MBytes in size. So I renamed it.

    How do I now convince Firefox to recreate it?

    --
    Many thanks,
    Martin Leese
    Martin Leese, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Martin Leese

    Doug G Guest

    Martin Leese wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running Firefox 1.0.4 with SpywareBlaster 3.4 under
    > Windows 95 (and Windows 95 is not supported).
    >
    > SpywareBlaster fails to detect my Firefox profile. This
    > article:
    > http://www.javacoolsoftware.info/kb/idx/9/073/article/
    >
    > suggested renaming my "registry.dat" file if it was
    > several megabytes in size, and letting Firefox create a
    > new file that would be much smaller.
    >
    > I found my "registry.dat" file in C:\\Windows\Mozilla\
    > and, indeed, it is 13 MBytes in size. So I renamed it.
    >
    > How do I now convince Firefox to recreate it?

    AFAIK, Firefox 1.0 and above don't use a registry.dat file. Yours may
    have been imported when Firefox imported a Netscape or Mozilla profile.

    Firefox uses the firefox.ini file to keep track of profiles. Netscape 7
    and Mozilla 1.x use a registry.dat file to keep track of profiles.

    Firefox 1.0.6 works fine for me without a registry.dat file in the
    \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox folder. I have a registry.dat file in
    the \Application Data\Mozilla folder, but it is used by Mozilla 1.7.10.
    Doug G, Jul 30, 2005

  3. Martin Leese

    Martin Leese Guest

    Doug G wrote:

    > AFAIK, Firefox 1.0 and above don't use a registry.dat file. Yours may
    > have been imported when Firefox imported a Netscape or Mozilla profile.
    >
    > Firefox uses the firefox.ini file to keep track of profiles. Netscape 7
    > and Mozilla 1.x use a registry.dat file to keep track of profiles.

    Hi Doug,

    Many thanks for your response. I fired up Netscape,
    and this recreated my "registry.dat" file. The
    SpywareBlaster software still doesn't detect Firefox,
    but that is a problem with SpywareBlaster and I have
    shifted the problem over to one of their forums.

    Thanks again for your help.
    --
    Regards,
    Martin Leese, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Martin Leese

    Doug G Guest

    Martin Leese wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >>
    >> AFAIK, Firefox 1.0 and above don't use a registry.dat file. Yours may
    >> have been imported when Firefox imported a Netscape or Mozilla profile.
    >>
    >> Firefox uses the firefox.ini file to keep track of profiles. Netscape 7
    >> and Mozilla 1.x use a registry.dat file to keep track of profiles.

    > Hi Doug,
    >
    > Many thanks for your response. I fired up Netscape,
    > and this recreated my "registry.dat" file. The
    > SpywareBlaster software still doesn't detect Firefox,
    > but that is a problem with SpywareBlaster and I have
    > shifted the problem over to one of their forums.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.

    SpywareBlaster says that Mozilla/Firefox protection is enabled after I
    clicked "Enable All Protection" under Quick Tasks.
    Doug G, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Martin Leese

    Martin Leese Guest

    Doug G wrote:

    > SpywareBlaster says that Mozilla/Firefox protection is enabled after I
    > clicked "Enable All Protection" under Quick Tasks.

    My SpywareBlaster says Mozilla/Firefox not installed.
    This is a problem for SpywareBlaster.

    Martin Leese, Jul 31, 2005
  6. Martin Leese

    Martin Leese Guest

    Doug G wrote:

    > AFAIK, Firefox 1.0 and above don't use a registry.dat file. Yours may
    > have been imported when Firefox imported a Netscape or Mozilla profile.
    >
    > Firefox uses the firefox.ini file to keep track of profiles. Netscape 7
    > and Mozilla 1.x use a registry.dat file to keep track of profiles.

    I don't appear to have a "firefox.ini" file.
    Where is yours located? I do have
    C:\WINDOWS\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

    Martin Leese, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Martin Leese

    Martin Leese Guest

    Martin Leese, Aug 1, 2005
  8. Martin Leese

    Doug G Guest

    Martin Leese wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >>
    >> AFAIK, Firefox 1.0 and above don't use a registry.dat file. Yours may
    >> have been imported when Firefox imported a Netscape or Mozilla profile.
    >>
    >> Firefox uses the firefox.ini file to keep track of profiles. Netscape 7
    >> and Mozilla 1.x use a registry.dat file to keep track of profiles.

    > I don't appear to have a "firefox.ini" file.
    > Where is yours located? I do have
    > C:\WINDOWS\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

    You're right, it is profiles.ini.

    I'm using Windows XP and profiles.ini is located in C:\Documents and
    Settings\Doug\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox.
    Doug G, Aug 1, 2005