How Ols R U

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ANovice, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. ANovice

    ANovice Guest

    One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current
    events.
    The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings
    at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

    The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born
    before:

    ' television

    ' penicillin

    ' polio shots

    ' frozen foods

    ' Xerox

    ' contact lenses

    ' Frisbees and

    ' the pill

    There were no:

    ' credit cards

    ' laser beams or

    ' ball-point pens

    Man had not invented:

    ' pantyhose

    ' air conditioners

    ' dishwashers

    ' clothes dryers

    ' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

    ' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

    Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived
    together.

    Every family had a father and a mother.

    Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
    And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a
    title, "Sir."

    We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare
    centers, and group therapy.

    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and
    common sense.

    We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to
    stand up and take responsibility for our actions

    Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a
    bigger privilege.

    We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

    Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your
    cousins.

    Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the
    evening breeze started.

    Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and
    weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

    We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters,
    yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

    We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches
    on our radios.

    And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to
    Tommy Dorsey.

    If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk

    The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

    Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

    We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and
    10 cents.

    Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were
    all a nickel.

    And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on
    enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

    You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford
    one?
    Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

    In my day:

    ' "grass" was mowed,

    ' "coke" was a cold drink,

    ' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

    ' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

    ' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

    ' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

    ' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

    ' "software" wasn't even a word.

    And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed
    a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and
    say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

    I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!

    Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at
    the same time.

    Are you ready ?????

    This man would be only 59 years old

    See AOL's top
    ANovice, Jan 3, 2008

  2. ANovice

    Freddie Guest

    "ANovice" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > one?
    > Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
    >
    > In my day:
    >
    > ' "grass" was mowed,
    >
    > ' "coke" was a cold drink,
    >
    > ' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
    >
    > ' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
    >
    > ' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
    >
    > ' " chip" meant a piece of wood,
    >
    > ' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
    >
    > ' "software" wasn't even a word.
    >
    > And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady
    > needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and
    > confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I
    > am?
    >
    > I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!
    >
    > Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad

    What a load of old bollocks, you should check your dates, you are way out
    with a lot of them!
    Freddie, Jan 3, 2008

  3. ANovice

    ANovice Guest

    Seems I should edit before posting..."OLD...OLD""

    ANovice, Jan 3, 2008
  4. ANovice

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:06:19 GMT, "Freddie" <>
    wrote:

    >"ANovice" <> wrote in message
    >> One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current
    >> events.
    >> The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the
    >> shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.
    >>
    >> The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born
    >> before:
    >>
    >> ' television
    >>

    > Snip ....................

    >> This man would be only 59 years old
    >>

    >What a load of old bollocks, you should check your dates, you are way out
    >with a lot of them!

    Maybe this post has been around for 10/15 years which would make the
    age 60/75!!

    --
    ----------------
    Stubbo of Sydney
    Stubbo of Oz, Jan 3, 2008
  5. ANovice

    Joe Boy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:40:15 +1100, Stubbo of Oz
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:06:19 GMT, "Freddie" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"ANovice" <> wrote in message
    >>> One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current
    >>> events.
    >>> The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the
    >>> shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.
    >>>
    >>> The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born
    >>> before:
    >>>
    >>> ' television
    >>>

    >> Snip ....................

    >>> This man would be only 59 years old
    >>>

    >>What a load of old bollocks, you should check your dates, you are way out
    >>with a lot of them!

    >Maybe this post has been around for 10/15 years which would make the
    >age 60/75!!

    That fits - I am 72 and it all applies to me!

    --
    Joe Boy
    Joe Boy, Jan 3, 2008
  6. ANovice

    Freddie Guest

    "Stubbo of Oz" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:06:19 GMT, "Freddie" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"ANovice" <> wrote in message
    >>> One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current
    >>> events.
    >>> The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the
    >>> shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.
    >>>
    >>> The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born
    >>> before:
    >>>
    >>> ' television
    >>>

    >> Snip ....................

    >>> This man would be only 59 years old
    >>>

    >>What a load of old bollocks, you should check your dates, you are way out
    >>with a lot of them!

    > Maybe this post has been around for 10/15 years which would make the
    > age 60/75!!

    Penicillin was discovered in the 1920's
    Television was invented in the 1920's
    To name just 2...
    Freddie, Jan 3, 2008
  7. ANovice

    Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 15:07:09 -0600, ANovice wrote:

    > Seems I should edit before posting..."OLD...OLD""

    Maybe you should just stop posting altogether, you fucking moron.

    Dan C, Jan 3, 2008
  8. ANovice

    SgtMinor Guest

    ANovice wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford
    > one?
    > Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
    >
    > In my day:
    >
    > ' "grass" was mowed,
    >
    > ' "coke" was a cold drink,
    >
    > ' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
    >
    > ' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
    >
    > ' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
    >
    > ' " chip" meant a piece of wood,
    >
    > ' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
    >
    > ' "software" wasn't even a word.
    >
    > And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed
    > a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and
    > say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?
    >
    > I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!
    >
    > Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at

    And Grandson says: "Gee. Grandpa, you sure screwed things up didn't you?"
    SgtMinor, Jan 3, 2008
  9. ANovice

    Joe Boy Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:04:10 GMT, "Freddie" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stubbo of Oz" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:06:19 GMT, "Freddie" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"ANovice" <> wrote in message

    >>> Snip ....................

    >>>What a load of old bollocks, you should check your dates, you are way out
    >>>with a lot of them!

    >> Maybe this post has been around for 10/15 years which would make the
    >> age 60/75!!
    >>

    >Penicillin was discovered in the 1920's
    >Television was invented in the 1920's
    >To name just 2...

    But, to the best of my knowledge, it was not successfully used in
    patient treatment until 1942

    >Television was invented in the 1920's

    In the context of the original post we have to look, *not* at when it
    was first used experimantally, but when TVs first became available in
    households. This would certainly not have been before the early 1940s.
    Even at the close of World War II there only about 7000 working TV
    sets in USA.

    So someone born pre 1940 would not have had TV in their household.

    --
    Joe Boy
    Joe Boy, Jan 4, 2008
  10. ANovice

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:01:18 -0600, "ANovice"
    <> wrote:

    > One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current
    >events.
    > The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings
    >at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

    There are a few things that aren't exactly true with the age of the
    man.

    I'm 57.

    When I was 10, stamps were in fact only a penny.
    When I was 10, McDonalds was already established.
    When I was 5, mom had a washing machine. Grandma though, still had the
    style with the wood rollers for pressing the clothes out.
    Yes we even had a TV.

    Penicillin was readily available.
    My first Polio shot was about 1957 or 58 when Dr. Sabin introduced it
    to the public.
    Frozen foods were available, but maybe not so much everywhere.
    "Frisbee" was made popular by the company, not the fact that one could
    toss around paper plates for the same effect. Of which had been done
    by ancient romans.
    Mr. Biro invented the ball point pen in 1935.
    Pantyhose came to be in 1930.
    Air conditioners? The modern day electrical version or the "ice cube"
    block version? Both were available in the 40's.

    So actually, the age of your man should be somewhere around 77 or so.

    Now here's a little item of interest you might not know about.
    When was the "floppy disk" invented?
    It was invented well before computers became household items.
    It's real purpose may have been for recording songs with. Perhaps a
    precluser to audio tape as in cars.
    Clue: Same year as my birth.

    Oh yeah, I'm sure all you kids out there have that fancy AM/FM boom
    box in your car right?
    When I was a teenager, FM car radios weren't even heard of yet.
    To listen to a local FM station, we had to lug around a portable
    receiver.
    richard, Jan 4, 2008
  11. ANovice

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:46:42 +1100, Joe Boy <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:40:15 +1100, Stubbo of Oz
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:06:19 GMT, "Freddie" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"ANovice" <> wrote in message

    >>> Snip ....................

    >>>What a load of old bollocks, you should check your dates, you are way out
    >>>with a lot of them!

    >>Maybe this post has been around for 10/15 years which would make the
    >>age 60/75!!

    >That fits - I am 72 and it all applies to me!

    Only if you live in USofA.

    First public broadcast of television was in 1931 (possibly earlier in
    Germany). First Hidef broadcasts in 1936. Coke was not that sticky
    stuff you use for metal polish and could be bought in over the counter
    medicines until the late 1950s.
    Alfred, Jan 4, 2008
  12. Joe Boy wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 23:04:10 GMT, "Freddie" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Stubbo of Oz" <> wrote in message

    >>> Maybe this post has been around for 10/15 years which would make the
    >>> age 60/75!!
    >>>

    >>Penicillin was discovered in the 1920's
    >>Television was invented in the 1920's
    >>To name just 2...

    > But, to the best of my knowledge, it was not successfully used in
    > patient treatment until 1942
    >
    >>Television was invented in the 1920's

    > In the context of the original post we have to look, *not* at when it
    > was first used experimantally, but when TVs first became available in
    > households. This would certainly not have been before the early 1940s.
    > Even at the close of World War II there only about 7000 working TV
    > sets in USA.
    >
    > So someone born pre 1940 would not have had TV in their household.

    And you think the US were the only nation to have tv?
    Regular tv broacasts were made from Alexandra Palace in London, England,
    from 1935 to the outbrake of WW2 in 1939. Baird sets were made from 1935 to
    1937. Domestic 405 line Cossor tv sets were produced from January 1937
    until 1940/41, & production resumed after WW2.
    Germany also had tv from 1934 to 1939, & exploited by the Nazis.
    Rare footage here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEYfl-X2Jcc

    --
    <Holly>: It takes time, this. One slight error in any of my thirteen billion
    calculations and we'll be blasted to smithereens. Here we go, then: 10, 9,
    William Poaster, Jan 4, 2008
  13. ANovice

    Stubbo of Oz Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:17:25 +0000, Alfred <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:46:42 +1100, Joe Boy <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:40:15 +1100, Stubbo of Oz
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Maybe this post has been around for 10/15 years which would make the
    >>>age 60/75!!

    >>That fits - I am 72 and it all applies to me!

    >Only if you live in USofA.

    And Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and probably South America, Japan,
    China, India, ad infinitum

    >First public broadcast of television was in 1931 (possibly earlier in
    >Germany). First Hidef broadcasts in 1936.

    But the Original Post misquoted the concept. He should not have said
    "I was born before........." but "We grew up without ......." which,
    as far as TV is concerned, would have been true of all but a *very*
    minute proportion of the population.

    --
    Stubbo of Sydney
    Stubbo of Oz, Jan 5, 2008