    Americans killed in Iraq as of October 07, 2006 is 2744. United Kingdom = 119 Other = 118.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 9, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:53:51 GMT, GrandpaChuck <> wrote:

    >How often should you change passwords for financial accounts?

    For financial accounts you're accessing online? Every 30 days, more often if the
    password isn't complex.

    >Is it wise to use the same one for accounts with different companies?

    NO.

    --
    If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
    don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.
    Mara, Oct 9, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:12:33 -0500, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:53:51 GMT, GrandpaChuck <> wrote:
    >
    >>How often should you change passwords for financial accounts?

    >For financial accounts you're accessing online? Every 30 days, more often if the
    >password isn't complex.

    It is, which is why I have used the same one for most (but not all) of
    our accounts.

    >>Is it wise to use the same one for accounts with different companies?

    >NO.

    How, then, do you keep track of them all?

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 9, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:11:37 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >How, then, do you keep track of them all?

    A spreadsheet, or a program such as Any Password:

    http://www.romanlab.com/apw/
    Evan Platt, Oct 9, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:13:51 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:11:37 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>How, then, do you keep track of them all?

    >A spreadsheet, or a program such as Any Password:
    >
    >http://www.romanlab.com/apw/

    Ok.

    How can I be sure that it is a totally secure program and is not
    accessible to someone where the program came from?

    Couldn't I do basically the same thing on a piece of paper rather than
    the computer and keep at least a couple of copies in places I feel are
    secure here at home?
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Oct 9, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:03:00 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >How can I be sure that it is a totally secure program and is not
    >accessible to someone where the program came from?

    Any decent firewall app will tell you when a program attempts to
    access the internet. APW has never caused this trigger on my
    computers.

    >Couldn't I do basically the same thing on a piece of paper rather than
    >the computer and keep at least a couple of copies in places I feel are
    >secure here at home?

    Sure.
    Evan Platt, Oct 9, 2006
  7. GrandpaChuck

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:11:37 GMT, GrandpaChuck <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:12:33 -0500, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:53:51 GMT, GrandpaChuck <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How often should you change passwords for financial accounts?

    >>For financial accounts you're accessing online? Every 30 days, more often if the
    >>password isn't complex.

    >It is, which is why I have used the same one for most (but not all) of
    >our accounts.

    If someone cracks the one, they get the rest. If they can get into your machine,
    they might be able to find those sites. I wouldn't use the same password for
    every site even if they were complex. I consider it just too dangerous. But
    then, it's my job.

    >>>Is it wise to use the same one for accounts with different companies?

    >>NO.

    >How, then, do you keep track of them all?

    Take a regular password you'd remember. Think of a longish phrase you *know*
    you'll remember, then take the first letters of every word in the phrase, and
    stick them in the middle of the password together. As long as it's not 14
    characters long, you're good to go. I say 14 characters because of this:

    http://geodsoft.com/howto/password/nt_password_hashes.htm

    even though my NT days are long over (I still run 2k though.) I don't take
    chances.

    I also have the option, for little-used sites, of writing mine down if I wish
    because I'm the only one who ever has access to my machines at home and I have
    plenty of safe hiding places for the paper. I don't, though, because the above
    method works like a champ for me. I do not *ever* save passwords to my machines
    on my systems.

    At work, no one is allowed to write down any password for any machine or
    program. Period. It's cause for termination, and rightfully so.

    You *could* dump your passwords into a file and the encrypt them which would
    work well until you forgot your encryption password, or forgot how to retrieve
    them totally. I've seen it happen.

    --
    Far be it for me to introduce facts and reason to the willfully blind
    and ignorant. I leave thee to thy bliss. --LA, nanae
    Mara, Oct 10, 2006