    Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    anything new comes out that better matches my needs?

    Ken

    Ken, Jan 7, 2008

  2. Ken wrote:
    > Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two
    > in case anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >
    > Ken

    But in a month or two, the same argument applies!

    What are your needs?

    Go into a shop and hold the cameras you are considering. Try using them
    with gloves on, if that's in your needs. See how the viewfinders suit
    your eyes.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 7, 2008

  3. Ken

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:28:44 +0000, Ken wrote:

    > Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    > anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >
    > Ken

    Probably not in January or February. Most consumer electronics products
    debut in the last summer into fall in preparation for Christmas sales. You
    need to balance 'waiting and doing without' against having the latest
    gizmo immediately after it arrives. I find that buying 'mature' products
    saves a lot of money. But then only you can answer the question "Am I
    interested in sufficiency or excellency?"

    ray, Jan 7, 2008
  4. Ken wrote:
    > Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two
    > in case anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >
    > Ken

    Better to wait a month or two. Then repeat the process until you become a
    millionaire.

    It can take time, and will not make you happy watching others buying
    cameras and other must-have items with the money your bankers lend to them.

    Of course you could be knocked down by a bus tomorrow, and may not live to
    find out the answer to your question!

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Jan 7, 2008
  5. Ken

    EAL Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:44 -0000, "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote:

    >Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    >anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >
    >Ken

    Yeah, the new Canon Rebel, successor to the XTi, will be announced
    next month.

    Ed

    EAL, Jan 7, 2008
  6. Ken

    Ali Guest

    What are your 'needs'?

    Ali, Jan 7, 2008
  7. Ken

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <47821afa$0$13942$>,
    "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote:

    > Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    > anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >
    > Ken

    If you need a digital camera now, buy now. If you can wait to buy a
    digital camera, wait. One thing is for sure, it won't be long before the
    next model of whatever digital camera you buy comes out, so don't worry
    about it, your camera will still work.

    Shawn Hirn, Jan 9, 2008
  8. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:Aoqgj.73818$...
    > Ken wrote:
    >> Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two
    >> in case anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >>
    >> Ken

    > But in a month or two, the same argument applies!
    >
    > What are your needs?
    >
    > Go into a shop and hold the cameras you are considering. Try using them
    > with gloves on, if that's in your needs. See how the viewfinders suit
    > your eyes.
    >
    > David

    Hi David

    I am the guy who bought an Olympus 410 and sent it back as it is not a
    'straight out of the box' and use even on full auto. I am now testing a
    Panasonic FZ18 and must say I am very pleasantly surprised so far. I will
    probably keep it and get my Olympus 5060 repaired even though it is getting
    old (3 years) but will do as back up? I will save the DSLR stage until I
    retire and have far more time to get through the learning curve.

    Ken

    Ken, Jan 9, 2008
  9. Ken

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2008-01-07 08:28:38 -0800, ray <> said:

    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:28:44 +0000, Ken wrote:
    >
    >> Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    >> anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >>
    >> Ken

    > Probably not in January or February. Most consumer electronics products
    > debut in the last summer into fall in preparation for Christmas sales. You
    > need to balance 'waiting and doing without' against having the latest
    > gizmo immediately after it arrives. I find that buying 'mature' products
    > saves a lot of money. But then only you can answer the question "Am I
    > interested in sufficiency or excellency?"

    Well, there is PMA next month.
    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor

    C J Campbell, Jan 11, 2008
  10. Ken

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2008-01-07 10:10:00 -0800, EAL <> said:

    > On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:28:44 -0000, "Ken" <Reply to NG only> wrote:
    >
    >> Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    >> anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >>
    >> Ken

    > Yeah, the new Canon Rebel, successor to the XTi, will be announced
    > next month.
    >
    > Ed

    Indeed, as will the successors to the Nikon D40 and D80. Maybe. But he
    doesn't want DSLRs.

    Still, there will probably be a slew of point & shoots announced at PMA, too.

    C J Campbell, Jan 11, 2008
  11. Ken

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2008-01-07 04:28:44 -0800, "Ken" <Reply to NG only> said:

    > Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    > anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >
    > Ken

    New cameras come out all the time. Actually, the marketing folks have
    spies watching you. When Ken finally buys the last camera on clearance,
    the camera manufacturers all breathe a huge sigh of relief, knowing
    that they can release the next round of new cameras. All of us here
    wish you would hurry up and buy that last obsolete camera so we can see
    what the next generation looks like. (And I bet you thought that all
    those 'security' cameras in every store and on every corner really were
    for security. Nuh-uh. They are watching you so they can notify the
    entire rest of the world that Ken bought the last of the old lot of
    cameras.)

    This is why every time you buy a camera you suddenly see a bunch of new
    and better ones.

    C J Campbell, Jan 11, 2008
  12. C J Campbell wrote:
    []
    > Still, there will probably be a slew of point & shoots announced at
    > PMA, too.

    Not much for hope for 5-6MP cameras with lower-noise 2/3-inch sensors,
    though.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 11, 2008
  13. C J Campbell <> writes:

    > On 2008-01-07 08:28:38 -0800, ray <> said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:28:44 +0000, Ken wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wondering whether to take the plunge or hang back for a month or two in case
    >>> anything new comes out that better matches my needs?
    >>>
    >>> Ken

    >> Probably not in January or February. Most consumer electronics products
    >> debut in the last summer into fall in preparation for Christmas sales. You
    >> need to balance 'waiting and doing without' against having the latest
    >> gizmo immediately after it arrives. I find that buying 'mature' products
    >> saves a lot of money. But then only you can answer the question "Am I
    >> interested in sufficiency or excellency?"

    > Well, there is PMA next month.

    And CES just ended.

    --
    Michael Meissner