    Is there a standard conference where scanners are introduced, or a
    buying season that companies like Epson attempt to release in advance
    of?
    stilllearning, Oct 13, 2006

  2. stilllearning

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    The large sized scanners are not any where close to be as popular as the
    smaller ones so they would be updated less often. Though with that one being
    2004 it should be able time. Maybe the did replace it but not with a like
    model or they dropped it all together because it wasn't a good seller.

    Hebee Jeebes, Oct 13, 2006

  3. stilllearning

    Stewy Guest

    In article <452f2d92$0$34521$>,
    "Hebee Jeebes" <> wrote:

    > The large sized scanners are not any where close to be as popular as the
    > smaller ones so they would be updated less often. Though with that one being
    > 2004 it should be able time. Maybe the did replace it but not with a like
    > model or they dropped it all together because it wasn't a good seller.

    > "stilllearning" <> wrote in message
    > > Just wondering if anyone has comments on the approximate length of
    > > release cycles for scanners.
    > > As an example, if you look at B-size scanners (Epson 10000XL), the last
    > > release was in July 2004, and I was wondering when a product like this
    > > gets refreshed.
    > >
    > > Is there a standard conference where scanners are introduced, or a
    > > buying season that companies like Epson attempt to release in advance
    > > of?

    I've been (almost) perfectly happy with my A4 sized scanner as it is
    usually up to that size I usually scan. When I had to scan something
    bigger Photoshop was there to stitch everything together. The only
    irritant is Epson decided that as the scanner was sold in Japan, ,it
    only needed a Japanese interface. If you have an english OS, you've got
    all buttons with misc characters. Come on Epson, why not make one size
    fit all and have multilingual software?
    Stewy, Oct 13, 2006
  4. stilllearning

    Hebee Jeebes Guest

    I don't know how a company can get so many things right and then total boff
    the pooch on the simple and often more important things like an interface
    that works with different languages.

    Hebee Jeebes, Oct 13, 2006
  5. stilllearning

    timeOday Guest

    This is just speculation, but I would think scanners are refreshed less
    and less often, and are dropping in popularity. I used to use my
    scanner mainly for 1) scanning photos (no longer necessary due to
    digital cameras) and 2) scanning documents (no longer necessary because
    a digicam can do that instantly). I don't even have mine hooked up any
    more.
    timeOday, Oct 14, 2006
  6. "timeOday" <> wrote:
    > This is just speculation, but I would think scanners are refreshed less
    > and less often, and are dropping in popularity. I used to use my scanner
    > mainly for 1) scanning photos (no longer necessary due to digital cameras)
    > and 2) scanning documents (no longer necessary because a digicam can do
    > that instantly). I don't even have mine hooked up any more.

    Epson cranks out new scanners with fair regularity. This year they released
    the V700 and V750 6400 ppi scanners, before that there were several 4800 ppi
    scanners, before that several 3200 ppi scanners (including a standalone film
    scanner based on that technology). The top of the line about 5 years ago was
    the 2450, a 2400 ppi scanner.

    Canon has a similar line with similar capabilities and a fairly similar
    product cycle.

    My scanner (Nikon 8000) is still hooked up, but it hasn't been used since
    the 5D arrived.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Oct 14, 2006
  7. stilllearning

    Bill Guest

    "timeOday" <> wrote in message
    > This is just speculation, but I would think scanners are refreshed
    > less and less often, and are dropping in popularity. I used to use
    > my scanner mainly for 1) scanning photos (no longer necessary due to
    > digital cameras) and 2) scanning documents (no longer necessary
    > because a digicam can do that instantly). I don't even have mine
    > hooked up any more.

    If you mean regular document scanners like a flatbed or feeder, then
    they are still made and released by the main companies like HP and
    others. Businesses still use document scanners all the time to scan in
    pages of data...it's the only way to put a digital copy of a manifest
    or bill into the local network so anyone can view the document without
    having to be in the same office.

    But if you mean film scanners...well I don't know. I switched to
    digital two years ago and haven't looked at film since.

    Film is dead.

    Long live digital!

    :)
    Bill, Oct 14, 2006