How not to do a dodgy deal on Ebay

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by *Owly*, May 28, 2006.

  1. *Owly*

    *Owly* Guest

    *Owly*, May 28, 2006

  2. *Owly*

    BTMO Guest

    BTMO, May 28, 2006

  3. *Owly*

    Vista Guest

    "*Owly*" <o*w*l*> wrote in message
    news:e5brde$d9a$...

    > http://www.amirtofangsazan.blogspot.com/
    >
    > All I can say is... lol!
    >
    > Owly.

    Classic. It is one of those stories you will probably see on the TV and news
    programs around the world . Poor old Amir :)

    Vista, May 28, 2006
  4. *Owly*

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "*Owly*" <o*w*l*> wrote in message
    >>
    >> http://www.amirtofangsazan.blogspot.com/
    >>
    >> All I can say is... lol!
    >>
    >> Owly.
    >>

    > Classic. It is one of those stories you will probably see on the TV
    > and news programs around the world . Poor old Amir :)

    It doesn't ring true to me.

    How does Amir have access to, and exact figures form the pics etc that were
    still on the laptop?

    How come "laptopguy" is editing Amir's page and adding more pics?

    This strikes me as if Amir *wishes* that the story will be picked up by TV
    stations all around the world. ("PS please send the link for this page to
    everyone you know!!") Any fame is bankable these days right?

    I say it's a con, and not a very good one at that.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 29, 2006
  5. *Owly*

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 13:49:58 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Vista wrote:
    >> "*Owly*" <o*w*l*> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amirtofangsazan.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>> All I can say is... lol!
    >>>
    >>> Owly.
    >>>

    >> Classic. It is one of those stories you will probably see on the TV
    >> and news programs around the world . Poor old Amir :)

    >It doesn't ring true to me.
    >
    >How does Amir have access to, and exact figures form the pics etc that were
    >still on the laptop?
    >
    >How come "laptopguy" is editing Amir's page and adding more pics?
    >
    >This strikes me as if Amir *wishes* that the story will be picked up by TV
    >stations all around the world. ("PS please send the link for this page to
    >everyone you know!!") Any fame is bankable these days right?
    >
    >I say it's a con, and not a very good one at that.

    Um, maybe a re-read?

    This page was obviously put up by the VICTIM, not Amir...

    Fred Dagg, May 29, 2006
  6. *Owly*

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    >> "*Owly*" <o*w*l*> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amirtofangsazan.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>> All I can say is... lol!
    >>>
    >>> Owly.
    >>>

    >> Classic. It is one of those stories you will probably see on the TV
    >> and news programs around the world . Poor old Amir :)

    > It doesn't ring true to me.
    >
    > How does Amir have access to, and exact figures form the pics etc
    > that were still on the laptop?
    >
    > How come "laptopguy" is editing Amir's page and adding more pics?
    >
    > This strikes me as if Amir *wishes* that the story will be picked up
    > by TV stations all around the world. ("PS please send the link for
    > this page to everyone you know!!") Any fame is bankable these days
    > right?
    > I say it's a con, and not a very good one at that.

    The page is written from Amir's point of view but by the guy who got ripped
    off. Read it like that and it makes more sense.

    Nik Coughlin, May 29, 2006
  7. *Owly*

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-29, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > It doesn't ring true to me.
    >
    > How does Amir have access to, and exact figures form the pics etc that were
    > still on the laptop?
    >
    > How come "laptopguy" is editing Amir's page and adding more pics?
    >
    > This strikes me as if Amir *wishes* that the story will be picked up by TV
    > stations all around the world. ("PS please send the link for this page to
    > everyone you know!!") Any fame is bankable these days right?
    >
    > I say it's a con, and not a very good one at that.

    perhaps the laptop guy put the page up hoping to embarrass Amir into
    refunding the money.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, May 29, 2006
  8. *Owly*

    Matty F Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    >
    >>"*Owly*" <o*w*l*> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://www.amirtofangsazan.blogspot.com/
    >>>
    >>>All I can say is... lol!
    >>>
    >>>Owly.
    >>>

    >>Classic. It is one of those stories you will probably see on the TV
    >>and news programs around the world . Poor old Amir :)

    > It doesn't ring true to me.
    >
    > How does Amir have access to, and exact figures form the pics etc that were
    > still on the laptop?
    >
    > How come "laptopguy" is editing Amir's page and adding more pics?
    >
    > This strikes me as if Amir *wishes* that the story will be picked up by TV
    > stations all around the world. ("PS please send the link for this page to
    > everyone you know!!") Any fame is bankable these days right?
    >
    > I say it's a con, and not a very good one at that.

    laptopguy is the unfortunate buyer of the laptop, and he wrote
    the blog.
    Amir is the seller of the laptop that doesn't work but which has
    lots of porn on the hard drive and pictures of the legs of ladies
    on the train taken with a cellphone.

    Amir is almost certainly posting messages on the blog defending
    himself in his unmistakably bad grammar under the names of:
    LucyWinters, Christinacopeland, Thomasbuckly, davisworld, tofang,
    amir massoud prince of thieves men in tights, recu proost.

    Nicktofang appears to be a nickname from Amir that he used on
    dating websites, and he's used that to give positive feedback to
    Amir on Ebay. The picture of Nicktofang looks like the picture of
    Amir but he's claiming to be 32 instead of 19. The dating website
    details have been removed but are still there on the Google cache
    with the picture.

    Thomasbuckly has also used the dating website and has removed his
    listing also.

    The Ebay accounts of two other people who also bid for the laptop
    have now disappeared.
    I think they are all Amir! He has no remorse.

    Matty F, May 29, 2006
  9. In article <447a52ed$>, says...

    > It doesn't ring true to me.
    >
    > How does Amir have access to, and exact figures form the pics etc that were
    > still on the laptop?
    >
    > How come "laptopguy" is editing Amir's page and adding more pics?
    >
    > This strikes me as if Amir *wishes* that the story will be picked up by TV
    > stations all around the world. ("PS please send the link for this page to
    > everyone you know!!") Any fame is bankable these days right?
    >
    > I say it's a con, and not a very good one at that.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Amir is the con-man who sold the defunct laptop to laptopguy. Laptopguy managed
    to pull the harddrive out and recover the data, He then put up the webpage,
    initially setting it up as though written by Amir (but gives up that fiction
    about 2/3 down the page.

    At least that's how I read it. -P.

    Peter Huebner, May 29, 2006
  10. *Owly*

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <447a52ed$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> It doesn't ring true to me.
    >>
    >> How does Amir have access to, and exact figures form the pics etc
    >> that were still on the laptop?
    >>
    >> How come "laptopguy" is editing Amir's page and adding more pics?
    >>
    >> This strikes me as if Amir *wishes* that the story will be picked up
    >> by TV stations all around the world. ("PS please send the link for
    >> this page to everyone you know!!") Any fame is bankable these days
    >> right?
    >>
    >> I say it's a con, and not a very good one at that.
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>

    > Amir is the con-man who sold the defunct laptop to laptopguy.
    > Laptopguy managed to pull the harddrive out and recover the data, He
    > then put up the webpage, initially setting it up as though written by
    > Amir (but gives up that fiction about 2/3 down the page.
    >
    > At least that's how I read it. -P.

    Thanks Peter, I see that now. <slaps forehead>

    Thanks also to Nik, Jasen, and Matty for explaining what should have been
    obvious.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.