How much to ship 2 cameras from NY to Vancouver, BC?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eb7g, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    Hi there

    I'm wondering if someone here can help enlighten me. My brother is
    shipping a box of two digital cameras from NYC, NY, U.S.A to Vancouver,
    BC, Canada, and I would like to know how much would it cost and what are
    the shipping options?

    Is USPS cheaper or Courier?
    How many days service options are there and how much? I'm looking for an
    accurate range.
    (i.e. 2 days will cost $40? 4 days will cost $20?).
    How much for it to be registered?

    Also, as an aside/second question, what is Canada duty on Cameras (30%?)
    and is it always charged or do some of these pass under their radar?

    I'm trying to price out an important parcel from NY to Vancouver, thank
    you for your assistance!!
    eb7g, Jan 13, 2004

  2. eb7g

    Harvey Guest

    See international calculator: http://ircalc.usps.gov/

    Harvey, Jan 13, 2004

  3. eb7g

    Mikey S. Guest

    Rather than guessing how much ask the shipping companies, all have good
    sites.
    http://ups.com/
    http://fedex.com/
    http://www.usps.com/

    My order of preference is fedex, UPS, then the post office is a distant
    third, but all of them will get the job done for you.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Jan 13, 2004
  4. eb7g

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    eb7g wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm wondering if someone here can help enlighten me. My brother is
    > shipping a box of two digital cameras from NYC, NY, U.S.A to Vancouver,
    > BC, Canada, and I would like to know how much would it cost and what are
    > the shipping options?
    >
    > Is USPS cheaper or Courier?
    > How many days service options are there and how much? I'm looking for an
    > accurate range.
    > (i.e. 2 days will cost $40? 4 days will cost $20?).
    > How much for it to be registered?
    >
    > Also, as an aside/second question, what is Canada duty on Cameras (30%?)
    > and is it always charged or do some of these pass under their radar?
    >
    > I'm trying to price out an important parcel from NY to Vancouver, thank
    > you for your assistance!!

    Get to the price later; first and most important suggestion
    I have is that you use ONLY the US Postal Service / Canada Post.

    Reason I so strongly suggest this is that the courier companies
    will cheat you badly; happened to me several times. :(
    They show up at your door, tell you that you not only owe
    them the duty, pst, gst, but also a horrendous brokerage
    fee for clearing your parcel through customs. (usually about
    $50).

    They hope you simply swallow it. If you don't and tell them
    you didn't authorize them to clear your parcel, they will take
    it back. Then someone/somewhere will lose it for a month or
    two. And then you get to go down to customs yourself and
    collect it.

    On the other hand if you use USPS then Canada Post will
    just show up at your door, asking for only $5.00 for customs
    services. Much easier to take :)

    Can you tell I'm bitter? :)

    And I've had parcels of 1 camera worth shipped from
    the US for 12 US dollars. Insurance extra.

    Tell your brother to pack it well, there's no such thing
    as too much bubble wrap/squashed newspaper. At a bare
    minimum a few inches worth.

    There doesn't seem to be any rule that I can identify
    about the duty itself. I think that less than 60 dollars
    value is ignored, though.

    Hope this helps.

    Take care.

    Ken (Winnipeg)
    Ken Weitzel, Jan 13, 2004
  5. eb7g

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>, Ken Weitzel <>
    wrote:

    > Hi...
    >
    > eb7g wrote:
    > > Hi there
    > >
    > > I'm wondering if someone here can help enlighten me. My brother is
    > > shipping a box of two digital cameras from NYC, NY, U.S.A to Vancouver,
    > > BC, Canada, and I would like to know how much would it cost and what are
    > > the shipping options?
    > >
    > > Is USPS cheaper or Courier?
    > > How many days service options are there and how much? I'm looking for an
    > > accurate range.
    > > (i.e. 2 days will cost $40? 4 days will cost $20?).
    > > How much for it to be registered?
    > >
    > > Also, as an aside/second question, what is Canada duty on Cameras (30%?)
    > > and is it always charged or do some of these pass under their radar?
    > >
    > > I'm trying to price out an important parcel from NY to Vancouver, thank
    > > you for your assistance!!

    > Get to the price later; first and most important suggestion
    > I have is that you use ONLY the US Postal Service / Canada Post.
    >
    > Reason I so strongly suggest this is that the courier companies
    > will cheat you badly; happened to me several times. :(
    > They show up at your door, tell you that you not only owe
    > them the duty, pst, gst, but also a horrendous brokerage
    > fee for clearing your parcel through customs. (usually about
    > $50).
    >
    > They hope you simply swallow it. If you don't and tell them
    > you didn't authorize them to clear your parcel, they will take
    > it back. Then someone/somewhere will lose it for a month or
    > two. And then you get to go down to customs yourself and
    > collect it.
    >
    > On the other hand if you use USPS then Canada Post will
    > just show up at your door, asking for only $5.00 for customs
    > services. Much easier to take :)
    >
    > Can you tell I'm bitter? :)
    >
    > And I've had parcels of 1 camera worth shipped from
    > the US for 12 US dollars. Insurance extra.
    >
    > Tell your brother to pack it well, there's no such thing
    > as too much bubble wrap/squashed newspaper. At a bare
    > minimum a few inches worth.
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be any rule that I can identify
    > about the duty itself. I think that less than 60 dollars
    > value is ignored, though.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken (Winnipeg)

    Of course to properly have anyone answer this there are some very basic
    questions. Like what is the weight? Want it insured? How fast do you
    need it? etc.

    Once you know these answers the original poster simply calls UPS, FedX
    and the US Post Office and asks.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Jan 13, 2004
  6. eb7g

    Bill Guest

    I would suggest USPS for sure. Rates are generally lower, and you can check
    that at www.usps.gov yourself.
    Insurance is not too expensive, however there are limitations on liability
    for international parcels that vary by country, and for some countries
    insurance is not available at all. If you can insure to Canada, then do
    that. You do not need to register if it's insured, and vice versa.

    Good luck,
    Bill

    Bill, Jan 13, 2004
  7. eb7g

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Bob Salomon <> wrote in

    > In article <>, Ken Weitzel <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi...
    >>
    >> eb7g wrote:
    >> > Hi there
    >> >
    >> > I'm wondering if someone here can help enlighten me. My brother is
    >> > shipping a box of two digital cameras from NYC, NY, U.S.A to
    >> > Vancouver, BC, Canada, and I would like to know how much would it
    >> > cost and what are the shipping options?
    >> >
    >> > Is USPS cheaper or Courier?
    >> > How many days service options are there and how much? I'm looking for
    >> > an
    >> > accurate range.
    >> > (i.e. 2 days will cost $40? 4 days will cost $20?).
    >> > How much for it to be registered?
    >> >
    >> > Also, as an aside/second question, what is Canada duty on Cameras
    >> > (30%?) and is it always charged or do some of these pass under their
    >> > radar?
    >> >
    >> > I'm trying to price out an important parcel from NY to Vancouver,
    >> > thank you for your assistance!!

    >> Get to the price later; first and most important suggestion
    >> I have is that you use ONLY the US Postal Service / Canada Post.
    >>
    >> Reason I so strongly suggest this is that the courier companies
    >> will cheat you badly; happened to me several times. :(
    >> They show up at your door, tell you that you not only owe
    >> them the duty, pst, gst, but also a horrendous brokerage
    >> fee for clearing your parcel through customs. (usually about
    >> $50).
    >>
    >> They hope you simply swallow it. If you don't and tell them
    >> you didn't authorize them to clear your parcel, they will take
    >> it back. Then someone/somewhere will lose it for a month or
    >> two. And then you get to go down to customs yourself and
    >> collect it.
    >>
    >> On the other hand if you use USPS then Canada Post will
    >> just show up at your door, asking for only $5.00 for customs
    >> services. Much easier to take :)
    >>
    >> Can you tell I'm bitter? :)
    >>
    >> And I've had parcels of 1 camera worth shipped from
    >> the US for 12 US dollars. Insurance extra.
    >>
    >> Tell your brother to pack it well, there's no such thing
    >> as too much bubble wrap/squashed newspaper. At a bare
    >> minimum a few inches worth.
    >>
    >> There doesn't seem to be any rule that I can identify
    >> about the duty itself. I think that less than 60 dollars
    >> value is ignored, though.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Take care.
    >>
    >> Ken (Winnipeg)

    > Of course to properly have anyone answer this there are some very basic
    > questions. Like what is the weight? Want it insured? How fast do you
    > need it? etc.
    >
    > Once you know these answers the original poster simply calls UPS, FedX
    > and the US Post Office and asks.

    UPS gouges you on customs charges. They are my last choice for cross
    border shipping.
    Fuzzy Logic, Jan 13, 2004
  8. eb7g

    Guest

    eb7g <> wrote:
    > Hi there

    > I'm wondering if someone here can help enlighten me. My brother is
    > shipping a box of two digital cameras from NYC, NY, U.S.A to Vancouver,
    > BC, Canada, and I would like to know how much would it cost and what are
    > the shipping options?

    > Is USPS cheaper or Courier?

    Call around to UPS and a few of the shipping agents and ask what they charge.Call
    around to a few of the shipping agents and ask what they charge.
    , Jan 13, 2004
  9. eb7g

    Crownfield Guest

    eb7g wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I'm wondering if someone here can help enlighten me. My brother is
    > shipping a box of two digital cameras from NYC, NY, U.S.A to Vancouver,
    > BC, Canada, and I would like to know how much would it cost and what are
    > the shipping options?
    >
    > Is USPS cheaper or Courier?

    what did ups quote you?
    what did FedEx quote you?
    what did usps quote you?

    why would you ask strangers on the internet to quote you a price?

    why would you trust or assume
    that whatever someone here quoted you
    had any validity or standing?
    Crownfield, Jan 13, 2004
  10. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    Thanks for all the advice.

    If I use USPS and declare it as a gift, with $10 it should go under the
    customs radar. BUT if I also buy insurance on it, for $1000, how will
    that affect the shipment? Will that pique the custom's curiosity enough
    for them to check out the package and then charge duty?

    eb7g, Jan 13, 2004
  11. eb7g

    Crownfield Guest

    eb7g wrote:

    > Thanks for all the advice.
    >
    > If I use USPS and declare it as a gift, with $10 it should go under the
    > customs radar. BUT if I also buy insurance on it, for $1000, how will
    > that affect the shipment? Will that pique the custom's curiosity enough

    I wonder if customs looks at the newsgroups?
    this sounds like a plan to avoid paying import duties.
    I wonder what the penalty for that is?
    Crownfield, Jan 13, 2004
  12. eb7g

    eb7g Guest

    Yes, this is a plan to avoid or reduce customs duties. Typcially, they
    unfairly rape the Canadian recipient when we buy non-Canadian product
    (i.e US product) which is why they have such a unfavorable reputation in
    Canada.

    eb7g, Jan 13, 2004
  13. eb7g <> writes:

    >> I wonder if customs looks at the newsgroups?
    >> this sounds like a plan to avoid paying import duties.
    >> I wonder what the penalty for that is?

    > Yes, this is a plan to avoid or reduce customs duties. Typcially, they
    > unfairly rape the Canadian recipient when we buy non-Canadian product (i.e
    > US product) which is why they have such a unfavorable reputation in Canada.

    AFAIK, there is no duties on cameras imported from US (I have ordered from
    B&H last year), but you have to pay tax (PST + GST, 15% in case of Ontario,
    don't know about BC). On top of it, you pay whatever fees the courier
    charges you for doing the paper work. In the case of USPS/Canada Post, this
    amounts to $5 (or $10), FedEx charged me some $20, have no experience with
    UPS (luckily for me, B&H was still using FedEX when I was ordering).

    Bye, Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Jan 13, 2004
  14. eb7g

    Bill Guest

    I neglected to tell you that you will also need to fill out a customs form
    (available at the Post Office).

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 13, 2004
  15. eb7g

    cc Guest

    You can find out this info online at ups.com, fedex.com, and usps.com.
    Just enter the shipping weight and package size and they'll quote rates.
    I don't see how the customs charge would differ among the carriers,
    unless you get them to broker it for you.

    cc, Jan 14, 2004
  16. cc wrote:

    > You can find out this info online at ups.com, fedex.com, and usps.com.
    > Just enter the shipping weight and package size and they'll quote
    > rates. I don't see how the customs charge would differ among the
    > carriers, unless you get them to broker it for you.
    >

    > eb7g wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if someone here can help enlighten me. My brother is
    >> shipping a box of two digital cameras from NYC, NY, U.S.A to
    >> Vancouver, BC, Canada, and I would like to know how much would it
    >> cost and what are the shipping options?
    >>
    >> Is USPS cheaper or Courier?
    >> How many days service options are there and how much? I'm looking for
    >> an accurate range.
    >> (i.e. 2 days will cost $40? 4 days will cost $20?).
    >> How much for it to be registered?
    >>
    >> Also, as an aside/second question, what is Canada duty on Cameras
    >> (30%?) and is it always charged or do some of these pass under their
    >> radar?
    >>
    >> I'm trying to price out an important parcel from NY to Vancouver,
    >> thank you for your assistance!!

    Nobody's asked the poster yet whether he has a trusted friend or
    business associate within his definition of easy driving distance from
    Vancouver (variously, Blaine WA, Bellingham WA or even Seattle).

    If so, he could explore shipping domestically, driving across the
    border and dealing with the customs himself (if he plans a trip any
    time soon that lasts long enough, he could even use the duty free
    allowance -- assuming that the cameras are not US-made and
    free of duty).
    Anthony Buckland, Jan 14, 2004
  17. eb7g

    cc Guest

    You have to stay out of Canada for at least 24 hours to get a duty free
    allowance, and then it's only $50 or something, or at least that's how
    it was a few years ago. Another option is to go to the border and broker
    it yourself, instead of paying any fee for this. When I lived in
    Vancouver I did that once. Of course, the original poster has probably
    had the cameras shipped by now.

    cc, Jan 14, 2004
  18. eb7g

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    There won't be any duty; just pst, gst, and a brokerage
    fee. Canada Post will charge him only 5 bucks cdn for
    clearing it through customs. Hence it's surely not
    worth a visit, unless of course the visit is also
    truly a visit in and of itself.

    Take care

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > Hi...
    >
    > There won't be any duty; just pst, gst, and a brokerage
    > fee. Canada Post will charge him only 5 bucks cdn for
    > clearing it through customs. Hence it's surely not
    > worth a visit, unless of course the visit is also
    > truly a visit in and of itself.

    Depends. Blaine WA is so close to the Southern
    Greater Vancouver cities of Surrey and White Rock
    that I once walked from White Rock down across the
    border into Blaine for breakfast. I've known people
    to have magazines delivered to Blaine and drive down
    for them to get cheaper subscription rates. People
    in various parts of Vancouver drive across the border
    for cheap gas, groceries etc. when the exchange rate
    and price differentials make it worth while, which
    may happen again now that the Canadian dollar is
    climbing.
    Anthony Buckland, Jan 15, 2004