    Can anyone please advise me as to how much space I would need to make a
    Partition to install x64 on it, if I had a Dual Boot system.

    Cheers
    Dennis, Jun 14, 2005

  2. The operating system requires 1.5GBs of space, but when you take into
    account applications and file storage, I would recommend a minimum of 20 to
    30Gbs of (free) space for Windows x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 14, 2005

  3. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > The operating system requires 1.5GBs of space, but when you take into
    > account applications and file storage, I would recommend a minimum of 20
    > to 30Gbs of (free) space for Windows x64.
    > --

    Yup. That should be more than enough for a test system. However, if you are
    using it for your primary OS, I would suggest at least 80Gb.

    :)

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 14, 2005
  4. > "Dennis" <ddls11646remove > wrote in message
    > > Can anyone please advise me as to how much space I would need to make a
    > > Partition to install x64 on it, if I had a Dual Boot system.
    > >
    > > Cheers

    Also there might be other variables, so I'll list some :
    1) memory.dmp space for full dump if you need debugging, which can be up to
    1TB depending upon which x64 OS you are running.
    2) 2GB for 4 service packs.
    3) 1GB for stubborn programs and so called "common files" that insist to
    stay on system partition (you can relocate Outlook Express mailbox if that's
    what you use)
    4) 1.5 times memory capacity for paging, preferably in different partition
    or drive, so as not to exacerbate fragmentation.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Probably the same as Windows XP Pro.
    Generally a minimum of 5 - 6 GB.
    That is only for the operating system, applicable Service Packs and updates.
    If you are storing other data or installing programs, you need to expand
    accordingly.

    Others are suggesting much larger sizes, but your size should be determined
    on your usage, partitioning etc.
    You may need much more than they say or much less.
    For example, it would be ridiculous to dedicate 20gb if nothing other than
    Windows was on that drive/partition.
    Many will install only windows on a partition/drive and use other
    drives/partitions for data, programs etc, 6gb is sufficient.
    Still others place everything on the same partition/drive, 120gb may be to
    small for them.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 15, 2005
  6. I wouldn't say dedicating 20 GBs to Windows is rediculous, with the plethora
    of patches we are getting, we will soon need 20GBs of free space or more to
    support the patch tuedays. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  7. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    >I wouldn't say dedicating 20 GBs to Windows is rediculous, with the
    >plethora of patches we are getting, we will soon need 20GBs of free space
    >or more to support the patch tuedays. :)
    > --

    I agree. Jupiter needs to update his knowledge of HD space requirements. :)
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 15, 2005
  8. Install windows again and only Windows.
    Then install the Windows Updates and nothing more.
    Save no data and install no programs since all of that is on another
    partition.
    How much space is used?

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 15, 2005
  9. "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Install windows again and only Windows.
    > Then install the Windows Updates and nothing more.
    > Save no data and install no programs since all of that is on another
    > partition.
    > How much space is used?
    >
    > --

    Jupiter, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I just wanted to show you
    that just the OS is barely adequate. I have to have Office and some games
    installed also to make a current system.

    Oh, and thank you for your efforts for the past few years as an MVP. Your
    help has been very much appreciated. :)

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 15, 2005
  10. Wayne
    Nothing ruffled at all.
    I was really trying to make the point that different situations will require
    different amounts of space.
    What is great for one is to small for another and also to large for yet
    another.
    The OP really needs to post back with specifics or go from the available
    information and make an appropriate decision.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 15, 2005
  11. "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Wayne
    > Nothing ruffled at all.
    > I was really trying to make the point that different situations will
    > require different amounts of space.
    > What is great for one is to small for another and also to large for yet
    > another.
    > The OP really needs to post back with specifics or go from the available
    > information and make an appropriate decision.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org

    Thanks guy. :)
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 15, 2005
  12. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Thanks lots guys, this is mainly only for a TEST system until all the
    DRIVERS become available for things like my CANON products that are not
    supported at present.

    Dennis

    Dennis, Jun 15, 2005
  13. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Oh and just out of interest...

    Jupiter, WHAT does MVP stand for please....
    Dennis

    Dennis, Jun 15, 2005
  14. Christian Hougardy [MVP], Jun 15, 2005
  15. "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in message

    >>I wouldn't say dedicating 20 GBs to Windows is rediculous, with the
    >>plethora of patches we are getting, we will soon need 20GBs of free space
    >>or more to support the patch tuedays. :)
    >> --

    > I agree. Jupiter needs to update his knowledge of HD space requirements.
    > :)

    Not too sure, if you are just testing then you wont be needing huge space
    for a test system.

    I have 2 test partitions for OS's. One is 5GB for Longhorn (that with Office
    2003 installed) and is using 3.7GB with the swap on the same partition and
    the install files. The other is Windows 2003 and it is 8GB and is using 4GB
    with the OS installed with the bits I need to test =(again with Office
    2003).

    So I cannot see that 20GB would really help unless you were using &
    installing everything you could get your hands on to test with software
    wise.

    You can always mount folders as drives if you need to create more space. I
    found that http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307889 is quiet handy for giving
    a bit more space for folders that tend to grow without needing to ghost OS's
    and move them about.

    But YMMV :)

    Steve Walker
    BNS
    Steve Walker - NG, Jun 15, 2005
  16. Dennis

    John Barnes Guest

    And there is always PartitionMagic, don't think I would try now that they
    have been bought by Symantec, but used to be a great product. Never had to
    use the backups since nothing ever went wrong. But always be prepared. Good
    luck but I don't understand not installing all the programs that you use
    from your current system. I'm sure you have some you don't use, but I have
    found that only about 50% of my programs work in x64 fully, The others work
    only partially or not at all. Drivers are not the only issue. You may have
    software you depend on or want that you will have to find replacements for
    as well. I too hope Canon gets their act together. It has been interesting
    to see how mfgs decide on what to support. Canon supposedly supports
    'business' printers, but 'personal' computers are iffy according to my
    reply. Even though it is more expensive than alot of their business models.

    John Barnes, Jun 15, 2005
  17. I am just saying it should be standardized that the OS should have its own
    dedicated partition, when you take into account patches and add-ons Windows,
    it really adds up and I think it would keep things neat and tidy. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  18. Partition Magic is a deceitful, little app. It will purposely make you
    format your hard disk. I recommend users to use it only on clean installs of
    Windows.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  19. Dennis

    John Barnes Guest

    Have to disagree with you on this one. Have used PM many times and NEVER
    forced my to reformat, unless obviously you have mixed NTFS and FAT, FAT32.
    Has saved me many times, especially when moving a drive from one computer to
    another and the partition table is different. Saved having to backup and
    reload everything.
    Same when moving a drive from the motherboard to a Promise controller or
    vice versa.
    Partition Commander on the other hand is another story. Ugly GUI and
    doesn't support USB mouse either.

    John Barnes, Jun 15, 2005
  20. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Yep same here, I have also used PM many times and never had to reformat.

    Dennis, Jun 15, 2005