How much saturation ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Alfred Molon

    Marvin Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Just ran into this gallery:
    > http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    >
    > (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    > colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?

    They look fine to me. What you see will depend on how you have adjusted your monitor.

    Marvin, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Alfred Molon

    dylan Guest

    dylan, Jan 15, 2005
  4. Alfred Molon

    BobS Guest

    My monitor has been calibrated recently (gamma is 2.2 and temp is set for
    6500°K) and I agree that the pics shown are oversaturated. Could be they use
    a Mac and/or there screen is adjusted for a 1.8gamma or they use a different
    color temp. Some of the pics, unintentionally oversaturated or not, look
    quite good. I tend to like vivid pictures that jump at you.

    Bob S.

    BobS, Jan 15, 2005
  5. Alfred Molon

    paul Guest

    Yeah, I looked at the San Francisco gallery & the sky is nver anywhere
    near that blue or the bridge that red. I think those are too much but
    I've seen other stuff that's somewhat oversaturated and looks great.
    Those are nice but a bit over the top.

    paul, Jan 15, 2005
  6. Alfred Molon

    Shurik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Just ran into this gallery:
    > http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    >
    > (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    > colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?

    I am agree, they are oversturated. If you enter in the people section
    you can see more natural colors.

    Shurik

    Shurik, Jan 15, 2005
  7. Alfred Molon

    Colin D Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > Just ran into this gallery:
    > http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    >
    > (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    > colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    I agree. The captions say 'format 35mm', so I guess the shots were
    taken with high contrast slide film, scanned, and contrast and
    saturation pushed. Not pretty, in my view.

    Colin

    Colin D, Jan 15, 2005
  8. Alfred Molon

    Q Guest

    I'll bet the photographer doesn't have his monitor calibrated.

    Many beautiful pics except for the over saturation.

    Q, Jan 16, 2005
  9. Alfred Molon

    Mark² Guest

    > Just ran into this gallery:
    > http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    >
    > (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    > colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    Yes. They are EXTREMELY over saturated.
    The easiest indicator in landscape shots is a neon green look.
    He has WAAAAAY over-saturated these shots on the computer.

    Mark², Jan 16, 2005
  10. Alfred Molon

    Frank ess Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> Just ran into this gallery:
    >> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    >>
    >> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    >> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
    >> --
    >>
    >> Alfred Molon

    > Yes. They are EXTREMELY over saturated.
    > The easiest indicator in landscape shots is a neon green look.
    > He has WAAAAAY over-saturated these shots on the computer.

    Could it be an anti-theft ploy?

    --
    Frank ess

    "The discussions of the relative merits of
    analog versus digital provided new insight
    into the rich and complex world of
    mindless polemic."
    —Reviewer of the film "Vinyl"

    Frank ess, Jan 16, 2005
  11. Alfred Molon

    Mark² Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Mark² wrote:
    > > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > >> Just ran into this gallery:
    > >> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    > >>
    > >> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    > >> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Alfred Molon

    > > Yes. They are EXTREMELY over saturated.
    > > The easiest indicator in landscape shots is a neon green look.
    > > He has WAAAAAY over-saturated these shots on the computer.

    > Could it be an anti-theft ploy?

    Hmmm... Make your stuff look bad so nobody wants it?
    I guess that's possible, but it would be about the silliest thing I've ever
    heard.

    Mark², Jan 16, 2005
  12. Alfred Molon

    Bob Williams Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Just ran into this gallery:
    > http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    >
    > (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    > colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?

    Yes! They certainly look supersaturated to me.
    But some people really like supersaturation. I am not one of them.
    Fuji started the trend with Velvia.
    Nature Photographers switched en masse from Kodachrome which was the de
    facto standard for accurate color rendition at that time.
    They said, enhanced saturation gave the pictures "pop".
    Now, every film manufacturer offers an "Enhanced Color" version.
    I suspect that most, if not all of the pictures got a saturation boost
    in a photo editor.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 16, 2005
  13. Alfred Molon

    Owamanga Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:49:26 -0800, Bob Williams
    <> wrote:

    >Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> Just ran into this gallery:
    >> http://www.foto-julius.at/ind3.html
    >>
    >> (see for instance the Seychelles section). Very nice photos, but the
    >> colours are extremely oversaturated. Or aren't they ?

    >Yes! They certainly look supersaturated to me.
    >But some people really like supersaturation. I am not one of them.
    >Fuji started the trend with Velvia.
    >Nature Photographers switched en masse from Kodachrome which was the de
    >facto standard for accurate color rendition at that time.
    >They said, enhanced saturation gave the pictures "pop".
    >Now, every film manufacturer offers an "Enhanced Color" version.
    >I suspect that most, if not all of the pictures got a saturation boost
    >in a photo editor.

    In this case, the guy has a big USB throttle lever on his desk wired
    into the saturation slider of photoshop. He scans a photo, don's
    headphones playing an archive tape of Alan (fluff) Freeman introducing
    his Dinosaur of Rock hour starting with Mick Jaggersaurus and the
    Rolling Stones, grabs the slider and pushes it all the way back.

    ....lets ROCK!.

    ....head bouncing from side to side...

    ....pauses to suck up some bright blue cocktail through a bright red
    straw...

    ....saves the image and whacks it onto the web.

    Now *that's* a workflow.

    Yep, the pictures all look like Disneyland to me.

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Jan 18, 2005