    how much ram would i need to comfortably house the entire internet routing
    table?

    TIA

    John Smith, Nov 1, 2005

  2. John Smith

    Igor Mamuzic Guest

    John,

    In O'Reilly's "Cisco Cookbook" they claim that you shouldn't mess with the
    full internet table if your router don't has at least a 100 megs of RAM.
    According to this book each routing prefix consumes about 1 KB, but you need
    to have enough room for routing table, CEF table and BGP table.

    B.R.
    Igor

    Igor Mamuzic, Nov 1, 2005

  3. With 2 full tables and soft-reconfiguration inbound, go with 256MB of
    DRAM.

    Regards,
    Steve
    www.networking-forum.com

    www.networking-forum.com, Nov 2, 2005
  4. In article <vZU9f.11799$>,
    "www.networking-forum.com" <> wrote:

    > With 2 full tables and soft-reconfiguration inbound, go with 256MB of
    > DRAM.

    Is there still any need for "soft-reconfiguration inbound"? Cisco
    redesigned soft reconfiguration a few years ago so it didn't require the
    receiver to keep extra data.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA