How much RAM can I put in this free slot?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Masroor, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. Masroor

    Masroor Guest

    Dear All,
    I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer bought about two years back. The
    specs are: Intel Pentium 4 EM64T 3.0 GHz processor, 800 MHz FSB, Intel
    945G Chipset. There are four DIMM slots. In three slots I have put
    already put three RAMs, two 256 MB each, one 512 MB. All are 533 MHz
    DDR2.

    Computer specification says that the RAM is upgradable up to 4GB. With
    only one free slot available, and RAM price going down, I want to use
    it to its maximum capability. Now, I can not find out how much maximum
    RAM I can put in the free slot? Is it 4GB - (256MB X 2 + 512 MB) =
    3GB? Or is it 4GB/4 = 1GB.

    Hope I have been able to explain the situation.

    Stores over here have a nonrefundable policy. So, I can not simply buy
    and experiment.

    Can you please tell me maximum how much RAM in the free slot?

    Thanks in advance.

    Masroor, Jan 28, 2008

  2. Masroor

    Conor Guest

    In article <6a627201-7cd2-49e1-a0dd-d6515870d598
    @d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Masroor says...

    www.crucial.com and use the Memory Selector Tool.

    --
    Conor

    As a Brit I'd like to thank the Americans for their help in the war
    against terror because if they'd not funded the IRA for 30 years, we
    wouldn't know how to deal with terrorists.

    Conor, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Masroor

    Dave Guest

    "Masroor" <> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer bought about two years back. The
    > specs are: Intel Pentium 4 EM64T 3.0 GHz processor, 800 MHz FSB, Intel
    > 945G Chipset. There are four DIMM slots. In three slots I have put
    > already put three RAMs, two 256 MB each, one 512 MB. All are 533 MHz
    > DDR2.
    >
    > Computer specification says that the RAM is upgradable up to 4GB. With
    > only one free slot available, and RAM price going down, I want to use
    > it to its maximum capability. Now, I can not find out how much maximum
    > RAM I can put in the free slot? Is it 4GB - (256MB X 2 + 512 MB) =
    > 3GB? Or is it 4GB/4 = 1GB.

    Doesn't matter. You won't run anything on that hardware that will require
    more than 2GB of RAM. Just buy one stick of 1GB. -Dave

    Dave, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Masroor

    RIAA Guest

    "Masroor" <> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer bought about two years back. The
    > specs are: Intel Pentium 4 EM64T 3.0 GHz processor, 800 MHz FSB, Intel
    > 945G Chipset. There are four DIMM slots. In three slots I have put
    > already put three RAMs, two 256 MB each, one 512 MB. All are 533 MHz
    > DDR2.
    >
    > Computer specification says that the RAM is upgradable up to 4GB. With
    > only one free slot available, and RAM price going down, I want to use
    > it to its maximum capability. Now, I can not find out how much maximum
    > RAM I can put in the free slot? Is it 4GB - (256MB X 2 + 512 MB) =
    > 3GB? Or is it 4GB/4 = 1GB.
    >
    > Hope I have been able to explain the situation.
    >
    > Stores over here have a nonrefundable policy. So, I can not simply buy
    > and experiment.
    >
    > Can you please tell me maximum how much RAM in the free slot?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    That computer is configured for a duel channel memory setup. The best
    performance would be gained from using matching sticks of ram in each of the
    channels. Your best option would be to just get 4 matching sticks of 512M
    and have a full 2 gigs.

    RIAA, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Masroor

    Paul Guest

    Masroor wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 computer bought about two years back. The
    > specs are: Intel Pentium 4 EM64T 3.0 GHz processor, 800 MHz FSB, Intel
    > 945G Chipset. There are four DIMM slots. In three slots I have put
    > already put three RAMs, two 256 MB each, one 512 MB. All are 533 MHz
    > DDR2.
    >
    > Computer specification says that the RAM is upgradable up to 4GB. With
    > only one free slot available, and RAM price going down, I want to use
    > it to its maximum capability. Now, I can not find out how much maximum
    > RAM I can put in the free slot? Is it 4GB - (256MB X 2 + 512 MB) =
    > 3GB? Or is it 4GB/4 = 1GB.
    >
    > Hope I have been able to explain the situation.
    >
    > Stores over here have a nonrefundable policy. So, I can not simply buy
    > and experiment.
    >
    > Can you please tell me maximum how much RAM in the free slot?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa... (Desktop, Mini-Tower, and Small Form Factor)

    "Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-4200,DDR2 PC2-6400
    with a maximum of 2GB per slot."

    The largest stick would be a 2GB stick.

    For best performance, memory should be installed in matched pairs. Or
    at least the amount of memory in each channel should be equal. The
    motherboard has two channels. (I have included some example configurations
    further down in this post.)

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/en/ug/A02/memory00.htm#wp1105370

    (Picture)
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/en/ug/A02/memora14.jpg

    matched pair of memory modules in connectors DIMM1 and DIMM2 (white securing clips)
    matched pair of memory modules in connectors DIMM3 and DIMM4 (black securing clips)

    The 945G Northbridge on the motherboard is actually more flexible than those instructions
    imply.

    "Addressing Memory With 4-GB Configurations

    This computer supports a maximum of 4 GB of memory when you use four 1-GB DIMMs
    or two 2-GB DIMMs. Current operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows XP, can
    only use a maximum of 4 GB of address space; however, the amount of memory
    available to the operating system is less than 4 GB. Certain components within
    the computer require address space in the 4-GB range. Any address space reserved
    for these components cannot be used by computer memory."

    What that last paragraph means, is if you installed a total of 4GB of memory, about
    3.2GB or so would be visible in Windows. Due to address space limitations, the other
    0.8GB would not be accessible by the processor (could not be reached).

    Considering the low price of memory, a good purchase would be to buy two
    matched 1GB sticks. Remove the current memory from the computer, and install
    2x1GB in DIMM1 and DIMM2. That leaves room for a future purchase of another
    2x1GB of memory. When you purchase the first 2GB total of memory, you will get to
    use all of it, as there is no address conflict at the 2GB level.

    A 2GB kit should be pretty cheap. $38 USD for this kit of two sticks of memory.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141017

    For dual channel operation, the 945G Northbridge is flexible on memory.
    To get dual channel operation, the amount of memory in each channel should
    be equal. DIMM1 + DIMM3 = DIMM2 + DIMM4. So for dual channel, you could:

    256MB + 256MB = 512MB + (zero)

    By adding just one stick of size 512MB, and moving the sticks around, you
    could use this configuration. (Total of 1.5GB of memory)

    256MB + 512MB = 256MB + 512MB

    Buying 2x1GB configuration, looks like this with the other memory removed.

    1GB + (zero) = 1GB + (zero)

    And later, when you add two more 1GB sticks, it becomes

    1GB + 1GB = 1GB + 1GB

    All of those configurations would be dual channel capable, for best performance
    (better memory bandwidth). Unbalanced configurations lead to single channel
    operation, and a reduction in memory bandwidth. If installed correctly,
    even your current collection of memory could be operating in dual channel
    mode.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Masroor

    DaveW Guest

    The limit is most likely 1 GB per slot. However, a 32 bit OS such as the
    standard versions of XP and Vista will only recognize up to 3.2 GB of RAM,
    even if 4 GB are installed. Also, for your computer to run at its fastest
    in dual memory mode you want identical matched RAM sticks in each pair of
    slots. (A channel and B channel. See your owner's manual if that doesn't
    mean anything to you>)

    --
    --DaveW

    DaveW, Jan 28, 2008
  7. Masroor

    Paul Guest

    DaveW wrote:
    > The limit is most likely 1 GB per slot. However, a 32 bit OS such as the
    > standard versions of XP and Vista will only recognize up to 3.2 GB of RAM,
    > even if 4 GB are installed. Also, for your computer to run at its fastest
    > in dual memory mode you want identical matched RAM sticks in each pair of
    > slots. (A channel and B channel. See your owner's manual if that doesn't
    > mean anything to you>)

    Read the posts more carefully. The limit is 2GB per slot, in no more than
    two of the four slots. You can do 2GB,2GB,0,0 for a total of 4GB in the
    four slots.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 29, 2008