    How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
    better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?

    Philip

    Philip, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Philip

    JC Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
    > advertising Ferrit.
    >
    > How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
    > better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
    >
    > Philip

    adblock for firefox maybe?

    JC, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Philip

    ~misfit~ Guest

    JC wrote:
    > Philip wrote:
    >> If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup
    >> video advertising Ferrit.
    >>
    >> How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
    >> better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
    >>
    >> Philip

    > adblock for firefox maybe?

    That's what I use.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006
  4. Philip

    Old Bill Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
    > advertising Ferrit.
    >
    > How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
    > better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
    >
    > Philip

    Same thing was happening on Stuff iirc.

    The most common solution was to stop using the site - you get what you pay
    for.

    Old Bill, Feb 2, 2006
  5. Philip

    Jerry Guest

    Old Bill wrote:
    > "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
    >>advertising Ferrit.
    >>
    >>How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
    >>better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
    >>
    >>Philip

    > Same thing was happening on Stuff iirc.
    >
    > The most common solution was to stop using the site - you get what you pay
    > for.

    Adblock in firefox will kill the ad in stuff very nicely

    Jerry, Feb 2, 2006
  6. Philip

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:43e17cc2$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    >> adblock for firefox maybe?

    > That's what I use.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    With the Filterset-G Plugin.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 2, 2006
  7. Philip

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:39:47 +1300, Jerry <>
    wrote:

    >Old Bill wrote:
    >> "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
    >>>advertising Ferrit.
    >>>
    >>>How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
    >>>better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
    >>>
    >>>Philip

    >> Same thing was happening on Stuff iirc.
    >>
    >> The most common solution was to stop using the site - you get what you pay
    >> for.
    >>

    >Adblock in firefox will kill the ad in stuff very nicely

    Yup - does for me, though I'm using Adblock Plus with the Filterset.G
    Updater.
    Not certain though as to whether it's just the display of material
    that is defeated, or whether my bandwidth is still being "stolen".

    Nho Whei, Feb 2, 2006
  8. T'was the Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:17:57 +1300 when I remembered Nho Whei
    <> saying something like this:

    >Not certain though as to whether it's just the display of material
    >that is defeated, or whether my bandwidth is still being "stolen".

    I believe Adblock stops the site requesting that particular ad,
    thereby not downloading it, thereby not using your bandwidth.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 2, 2006
  9. Philip

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in news:43e17cc2$1
    > @news.orcon.net.nz:
    >
    >>> adblock for firefox maybe?

    >> That's what I use.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > With the Filterset-G Plugin.

    I try to install it but I get the message "Software installation is
    currently disabled, click Edit Options.... to enable it and try again."
    However, I click Edit Options and can't find a setting in there that makes a
    blind bit of difference.

    Help?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006
  10. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:17:57 +1300 when I remembered Nho Whei
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Not certain though as to whether it's just the display of material
    >> that is defeated, or whether my bandwidth is still being "stolen".

    > I believe Adblock stops the site requesting that particular ad,
    > thereby not downloading it, thereby not using your bandwidth.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.

    It just keeps on getting better. installed Adblocvk and the site ius
    free of nuisances.

    I wouldn't have blocked a static ad, or a banner - web pages are free to
    make their money they way they like.

    but in a cramped restricted "broadband" environment like ours, I reckon
    they're sailing pretty close to the wind to start hogging my bytes to
    push their message in extravagant video...

    Or am I being the grinch that spoils their Christmas?

    Philip

    PS is Ferrit

    (a) an good
    (b) any better thn TradeMe?