    I have decided on the Canon A400 unless something I read changes before
    Wednesday. Does the size of the memory drain the batteries quicker? I am
    leaning toward a 256.
    retired, Sep 12, 2004

  2. retired

    Jimmy G Guest

    The size of the SD card has no affect on battery drain. Just use the
    viewfinder instead of the viewing screen, and your batteries should last a
    long time.

    It depends on how many shots you want to keep! a 256mb SD card should hold
    at least a couple hundred shots at max. resolution (3.1mp). If you're going
    on vacation, get a couple, or buy a 512mb card. The 256's are only $25-35
    or so, and the 512's are around $60. Keep your eye out for sales. I just
    bought two 512mb CD cards for $$35 each after rebate.

    Happy photographing.
    Jimmy G, Sep 12, 2004

  3. retired

    retired Guest

    retired, Sep 12, 2004
  4. retired

    Jimmy G Guest

    Hell, I'm only 21 months from retirement, & I LOVE the change-over: Instant
    gratification, and all the photos I want to take, & NO processing fees
    (Unless I really want a print).
    Jimmy G, Sep 12, 2004
  5. retired

    Guest

    retired <> wrote:
    > I have decided on the Canon A400 unless something I read changes before
    > Wednesday. Does the size of the memory drain the batteries quicker? I am
    > leaning toward a 256.

    No. Battery drain is not influenced by memory capacity. How much
    memory to buy is purely a matter of personal preference.
    , Sep 12, 2004
  6. retired

    Ron Guest

    "Jimmy G" <> wrote in message
    > Hell, I'm only 21 months from retirement, & I LOVE the change-over:

    Instant
    > gratification, and all the photos I want to take, & NO processing fees
    > (Unless I really want a print).

    Double hell, I aint that close to retirement. But, I'm pretty close to
    fifty. And love the digital film as well. But let me just add that you don't
    need to withstand the processing fees either. There's plenty of sub-$100
    printers out there that make GREAT 4x6 and larger prints. And after the
    initial cost of the printer, the only price you pay is for ink and paper.
    But that's small compared to the convenience and privacy you get in return.

    Ron
    Ron, Sep 12, 2004
  7. retired

    Bill Bannon Guest

    Just one caveat: The $100 printers use $50 ink. If you want great pics at
    a low per print price, buy a more expensive multi-color ink printer. The
    per print costs are much less.

    Bill Bannon, Sep 12, 2004
  8. "Ron" <> writes:

    > "Jimmy G" <> wrote in message
    > > Hell, I'm only 21 months from retirement, & I LOVE the change-over:

    > Instant
    > > gratification, and all the photos I want to take, & NO processing fees
    > > (Unless I really want a print).
    > >

    > Double hell, I aint that close to retirement. But, I'm pretty close to
    > fifty. And love the digital film as well. But let me just add that you don't
    > need to withstand the processing fees either. There's plenty of sub-$100
    > printers out there that make GREAT 4x6 and larger prints. And after the
    > initial cost of the printer, the only price you pay is for ink and paper.
    > But that's small compared to the convenience and privacy you get in return.

    Note however especially for 4x6 prints, the ink & paper costs tend to be higher
    than the local Walmart/Walgreens/Sam's Club/Costco/etc. There are many reasons
    to buy and use a home printer (immediacy, control, privacy, etc.), but for
    snapshots cost isn't one of them (as long as you bundle enough pritns to
    outweigh the cost of gas to get to the store if you don't normally shop there,
    or online postage fees). Generally if you print 8x10's instead of 4x6's, the
    cost factor goes towards the home printer. I suspect Walmart, et. al tend to
    use the low cost of 4x6 processing to get you into the store to buy other
    things.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Sep 12, 2004
  9. retired

    Ron Guest

    "Bill Bannon" <> wrote in message
    > Just one caveat: The $100 printers use $50 ink. If you want great pics

    at
    > a low per print price, buy a more expensive multi-color ink printer. The
    > per print costs are much less.
    >
    > "Ron" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jimmy G" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hell, I'm only 21 months from retirement, & I LOVE the change-over:

    > > Instant
    > >> gratification, and all the photos I want to take, & NO processing fees
    > >> (Unless I really want a print).
    > >>

    > > Double hell, I aint that close to retirement. But, I'm pretty close to
    > > fifty. And love the digital film as well. But let me just add that you
    > > don't
    > > need to withstand the processing fees either. There's plenty of sub-$100
    > > printers out there that make GREAT 4x6 and larger prints. And after the
    > > initial cost of the printer, the only price you pay is for ink and

    paper.
    > > But that's small compared to the convenience and privacy you get in
    > > return.
    > >
    > > Ron

    Not so at all. I refill my ink tanks myself for about $2 per cartridge.
    Printing my own photos is BY FAR cheaper than photoshops and they look
    better too.

    Ron
    Ron, Sep 12, 2004
  10. retired

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > "Bill Bannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Just one caveat: The $100 printers use $50 ink. If you want great pics

    > at
    >
    >>a low per print price, buy a more expensive multi-color ink printer. The
    >>per print costs are much less.
    >>
    >>"Ron" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Jimmy G" <> wrote in message

    >>>Instant

    >>>Double hell, I aint that close to retirement. But, I'm pretty close to
    >>>fifty. And love the digital film as well. But let me just add that you
    >>>don't
    >>>need to withstand the processing fees either. There's plenty of sub-$100
    >>>printers out there that make GREAT 4x6 and larger prints. And after the
    >>>initial cost of the printer, the only price you pay is for ink and

    > paper.
    >
    >>>But that's small compared to the convenience and privacy you get in
    >>>return.
    >>>
    >>>Ron
    >>>

    > Not so at all. I refill my ink tanks myself for about $2 per cartridge.
    > Printing my own photos is BY FAR cheaper than photoshops and they look
    > better too.
    >
    > Ron

    Refilling your own ink tanks can save money, but beware that
    the ink you buy may not be the same color balance wise as the
    real McCoy. If you don't have color printing good flesh tones
    with the ink, then you are fine, otherwise you will have to
    rebalance the printing software for the ink you use.
    Ken Scharf, Sep 13, 2004
  11. retired

    John Doe Guest

    I came across a local camera store (mom and pop place) that offers 100 4x6
    prints from digital camera media (you do the printing, cropping, correcting,
    etc. at their station) for $22.00. They basically give you a plastic credit
    card to use with the machine that you can refill and continue to use. The
    printer they use is dye-sub and not inkjet or anything else. This is what I
    have problem with with someplaces is that they use inkjet with supposed
    archival ink and paper. I want dye-sub. Interestingly enough if you buy 500
    prints from this place you play less than $0.19 each. Which seems pretty
    good for a 4x6 dye sub print.

    John

    John Doe, Sep 13, 2004
  12. retired

    wayne Guest

    very good price for dye sub. This is why I personally don't recommend
    people print their own!

    Wayne

    wayne, Sep 13, 2004
  13. retired

    Ron Guest

    "wayne" <> wrote in message
    > very good price for dye sub. This is why I personally don't recommend
    > people print their own!
    >
    > Wayne

    No problem here. I have the Canon i560 for any large photo printing and an
    Olympus Dye-sublimation for the 4X6 variety if I so desire. Got a great
    price for it on eBay too. Home printing is the way to go if you're
    semi-competent.

    Ron
    Ron, Sep 13, 2004
  14. retired

    bob Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in news:Zj61d.13430$54.191112
    @typhoon.sonic.net:

    > I want dye-sub. Interestingly enough if you buy 500
    > prints from this place you play less than $0.19 each. Which seems pretty
    > good for a 4x6 dye sub print.

    Are you sure they are dye-sub and not chemical prints?

    Wal-mart charges $.25 or so for 4x6 prints quantity one; you don't even
    need to pay for any that you don't like after you see them, and you don't
    need to pay in advance. But that's for real chemical prints on a Fuji
    Frontier, not dye-sub.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
    bob, Sep 13, 2004
  15. retired

    George Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > I came across a local camera store (mom and pop place) that offers 100 4x6
    > prints from digital camera media (you do the printing, cropping,

    correcting,
    > etc. at their station) for $22.00. They basically give you a plastic

    credit
    > card to use with the machine that you can refill and continue to use. The
    > printer they use is dye-sub and not inkjet or anything else. This is what

    > have problem with with someplaces is that they use inkjet with supposed
    > archival ink and paper. I want dye-sub. Interestingly enough if you buy

    500
    > prints from this place you play less than $0.19 each. Which seems pretty
    > good for a 4x6 dye sub print.
    >
    > John

    I have a Kodak dye sublimation printer (the old ColorEase...was $7k new...I
    got a
    demo unit for $3.5k a looooong time ago) and just the material cost is about
    $2.50
    per 8.5 x 11 (paper + ribbon). So you are getting a FANTASTIC deal. Be
    sure
    you keep taking advantage of that. As good as inkjet has gotten, it still
    isn't as good
    as dye sublimation (thermal dye transfer).

    George
    George, Sep 13, 2004