How much is an MCSD.NET worth?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by peter burke, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. peter burke

    peter burke Guest

    Quite a few people who have done the MCSD.NET seem to be
    disappointed that it has not tripled their salaries or
    whatever. This leads to the question: "how much extra
    value does this certification add to the daily work of an
    individual holding the certification?"

    I came across an example the other day where someone who
    did not know about the four ways .NET and IIS provide for
    authenticated pages in ASP.NET, set up his own
    authentication scheme including his own encryption
    routines like those used by Julius Caesar.

    This individual has delivered quite a few bloopers over
    time. You know the kind I am talking about, not so much
    slapstick as slipslop.

    The other problem is that the employers mostly don't
    appreciate the difference certification can make. In fact
    most are probably unaware that there is such a thing as an
    MCSD.NET. They advertise for people with twelve months
    proven commercial experience. I wonder just how many years
    it will take for my friend above to learn the four ways of
    doing Authentication.

    Question: how can we market ourselves better to overcome
    this problem?

    Question: should we petition Microsoft to spend more money
    promoting the value of .NET certification to those that
    hire?
    peter burke, Jul 2, 2003

  2. peter burke

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I came across an example the other day where someone who
    >did not know about the four ways .NET and IIS provide for
    >authenticated pages in ASP.NET, set up his own
    >authentication scheme including his own encryption
    >routines like those used by Julius Caesar.
    >
    >This individual has delivered quite a few bloopers over
    >time. You know the kind I am talking about, not so much
    >slapstick as slipslop.

    Yet companies continue tolerate it - mad.

    >The other problem is that the employers mostly don't
    >appreciate the difference certification can make. In fact
    >most are probably unaware that there is such a thing as an
    >MCSD.NET. They advertise for people with twelve months
    >proven commercial experience. I wonder just how many years
    >it will take for my friend above to learn the four ways of
    >doing Authentication.

    The problem is that Microsoft certification process has been
    undermined over the past four or five years. People can buy the
    questions and answers or just search the multitude of braindumps out
    there. In a nutshell, the certifications do not prove the holder has
    an in depth understanding of the topics let alone how to work with the
    products int he real world. This is great shame to vast majority of
    people who undertake the certification process, seeking to prove, as
    well as, improve their own ability.

    >Question: how can we market ourselves better to overcome
    >this problem?

    The attitude of business towards IT has changed a great deal over the
    past four years. However, you would have thought more companies would
    require more from their employees in terms of them being able to prove
    themselves. Yet companies still choose the people with the lowest
    salary expectation.

    >Question: should we petition Microsoft to spend more money
    >promoting the value of .NET certification to those that
    >hire?

    Would they listen or even care?
    Kline Sphere, Jul 2, 2003

  3. peter burke

    JoeLogic Guest

    > The attitude of business towards IT has changed a great deal over the
    > past four years. However, you would have thought more companies would
    > require more from their employees in terms of them being able to prove
    > themselves. Yet companies still choose the people with the lowest
    > salary expectation.

    I've noticed different kinds of employeers/expectations when searching
    for a job a few months ago. This is one of them, but there are:

    (1) Lowest bidder. Like you said. Usually attempts to exploit the
    unemployed programmer. Looks to leverage the weak economy totally to
    their advantage. Has short-term goals in mind, or has no company
    vision.

    (2) Wizard seeker. Seeks the proverbial know-it-all who is all wise
    and powerful. Expects the candidate to be a master of every
    acronym-touted technology known to man. The job ad gives it away when
    5 paragraphs are dedicated to the job requirements.

    (3) Certification worshipper. Believes certifications are the end all
    solution to their HR hiring problems. Takes all the short cuts
    necessary to hire the best candidates with the highest merits on
    paper. A key givaway that departments and managers bullshit each other
    for their own political gain. Image is everything. I even saw a job ad
    once that required the seeker to show his MCSD card to the
    receptionist.

    I'll have to think of more, but those 3 stick out in my mind.
    JoeLogic, Jul 4, 2003
  4. peter burke

    Peter Burke Guest

    Re: How much is an MCSD.NET worth? Braindump anyone

    Braindump? Is that from the schwarzenegger movie "The 6th
    Day"?
    Peter Burke, Jul 4, 2003
  5. peter burke

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Re: How much is an MCSD.NET worth? Braindump anyone

    >Braindump? Is that from the schwarzenegger movie "The 6th
    >Day"?

    Don't you mean Total Recall? He, He.
    Kline Sphere, Jul 4, 2003