    warranty cost for a latitude laptop and how much is the one year
    complete cover?

    TIA
    nospam, Dec 31, 2011

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:18:22 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 31/12/2011 4:11 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >> Anyone know how much does a dell one year next business day onsite
    >> warranty cost for a latitude laptop and how much is the one year
    >> complete cover?
    >>
    >> TIA

    >Call Dell and ask - their pricing varies depending on who they are
    >selling to (we pay nothing for 3 years NBD warranty but we buy 3000
    >machines a year from them).

    I have already but they couldn't tell me today so I have to wait till
    next Wednesday. I wanted to do some advance thinking about whether I
    should get a warranty. I bought it from graysonline for my personal
    use.
    nospam, Dec 31, 2011

  3. nospam

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:32:37 +1300, nospam <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:18:22 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 31/12/2011 4:11 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >>> Anyone know how much does a dell one year next business day onsite
    >>> warranty cost for a latitude laptop and how much is the one year
    >>> complete cover?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >>Call Dell and ask - their pricing varies depending on who they are
    >>selling to (we pay nothing for 3 years NBD warranty but we buy 3000
    >>machines a year from them).

    >I have already but they couldn't tell me today so I have to wait till
    >next Wednesday. I wanted to do some advance thinking about whether I
    >should get a warranty. I bought it from graysonline for my personal
    >use.

    All I can tell you is that I bought a personal three year on-site Dell
    warranty for my PC and that it more than paid for itself. Three
    motherboards, two CD/DVD drives, one monitor and heaps of other help
    from their 24/7 phone help. What it cost was nowhere near what it
    delivered.
    Donchano, Dec 31, 2011
  4. nospam

    Enkidu Guest

    On 31/12/11 21:39, Donchano wrote:

    > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:32:37 +1300, nospam<>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> Call Dell and ask - their pricing varies depending on who they are
    >>> selling to (we pay nothing for 3 years NBD warranty but we buy 3000
    >>> machines a year from them).

    >> I have already but they couldn't tell me today so I have to wait till
    >> next Wednesday. I wanted to do some advance thinking about whether I
    >> should get a warranty. I bought it from graysonline for my personal
    >> use.

    > All I can tell you is that I bought a personal three year on-site Dell
    > warranty for my PC and that it more than paid for itself. Three
    > motherboards, two CD/DVD drives, one monitor and heaps of other help
    > from their 24/7 phone help. What it cost was nowhere near what it
    > delivered.

    That sounds like a recommendation not to buy a Dell.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Dec 31, 2011
  5. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:39:21 +1300, Donchano wrote

    >All I can tell you is that I bought a personal three year on-site Dell
    >warranty for my PC and that it more than paid for itself. Three
    >motherboards, two CD/DVD drives, one monitor and heaps of other help
    >from their 24/7 phone help. What it cost was nowhere near what it
    >delivered.

    I've had several dell monitors with no problems. I don't get how
    three motherboards could fail unless they're getting lots of vibration
    or not being cooled properly or something. Is there such a thing as a
    "cheap transistor" or cheap resistor or cheap IC. Solid state devices
    should last for many years shouldn't they?

    The laptop I bought is $2100 new on the dell website including 3 year
    warranty so hopefully it has all good quality components.
    nospam, Dec 31, 2011
  6. nospam

    Donchano Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 23:34:27 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >That sounds like a recommendation not to buy a Dell.

    The jury is still out on that one for me. But it certainly is a
    recommendation to invest in a full, three year on-site warranty if you
    do buy one.
    Donchano, Dec 31, 2011
  7. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 08:29:41 +1300, whoisthis <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:39:21 +1300, Donchano wrote
    >> >
    >> >All I can tell you is that I bought a personal three year on-site Dell
    >> >warranty for my PC and that it more than paid for itself. Three
    >> >motherboards, two CD/DVD drives, one monitor and heaps of other help
    >> >from their 24/7 phone help. What it cost was nowhere near what it
    >> >delivered.

    >> I've had several dell monitors with no problems. I don't get how
    >> three motherboards could fail unless they're getting lots of vibration
    >> or not being cooled properly or something. Is there such a thing as a
    >> "cheap transistor" or cheap resistor or cheap IC. Solid state devices
    >> should last for many years shouldn't they?

    >Yes, components get graded.

    Well the failure rate in TVs is very low. Why would dell motherboards
    fail more than any other circuit board.

    >> The laptop I bought is $2100 new on the dell website including 3 year
    >> warranty so hopefully it has all good quality components.

    >ROTFLMAO, its called the consumer guarantees act. All you have done is
    >give them money for something they would have to do under the law anyway.

    I paid less than a third of that but with no warranty which I now have
    the option of. I bought it from grays online and the "sales of goods
    act" doesn't apply to the sale even though the laptop is brand new
    ("resealed").

    >I got a new motherboard in my sons MacBook which was 2 1/2 years old, no
    >extended warranty and no cost to me at all apart from some of my time.

    I'm unfamiliar with what the consumer guarantees act provides but upon
    looking it up I see that it says
    <quote>
    Acceptable quality - This means goods:

    Do what they are made to do.
    Are acceptable in appearance and finish.
    Are free from minor defects.
    Are safe and durable.
    </>

    and
    <quote>
    Generally speaking, this means the retailer who sold you the goods or
    services must sort out the problem. If the stitching comes apart on
    your fairly new shoes, you don't have to track down the manufacturer
    or importer, you simply take them back to the shop.
    </>

    Two and a half years is not "fairly new". So who gets to decide what
    "durable" means?
    nospam, Dec 31, 2011
  8. nospam

    Donchano Guest

    Donchano, Dec 31, 2011
  9. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 12:17:33 +1300, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 12:01:56 +1300, nospam <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>Well the failure rate in TVs is very low. Why would dell motherboards
    >>fail more than any other circuit board.

    >http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?hp=&pagewanted=all
    >
    >http://www.tomshardware.com/news/optiplex-capacitor-lawsuit-failure-defect,10763.html
    >
    >https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q...vclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en-GB___NZ387&ie=UTF-8

    Following those links tells me that that was an industry wide problem
    that affected other manufacturers including HP and apple too. The
    issue with dell was they didn't tell their customers and had problems
    supplying motherboards that weren't at risk of failure. In my
    experience, that's a common attitude in the business world,
    unfortunately.

    If anything, that reassures me that dell use industry standard
    components and manufacturing techniques and they've been manufacturing
    laptops long enough to do a reasonable job of it by now.
    nospam, Dec 31, 2011
  10. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 12:52:50 +1300, whoisthis <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >

    >> Well the failure rate in TVs is very low. Why would dell motherboards
    >> fail more than any other circuit board.

    >Because thats the market they work in, they buy cheaper components to
    >supply cheaper computers. People also replace their computers far more
    >often than their TVs, so the expectation of a TV is MUCH higher.
    >
    >http://gizmodo.com/5576237/dell-knowingly-sold-118-million-computers-with
    >-a-97-failure-rate

    That was a one off thing as I wrote in my other post. At least some
    of dell goods get made by foxconn which probably means the components
    have similar quality to apple iphones etc. Foxconn are big enough and
    smart enough to choose decent components.

    http://www.graysonline.co.nz/help/NZ/product_condition.asp

    >> Two and a half years is not "fairly new". So who gets to decide what
    >> "durable" means?

    >It depends on what it is, but the courts will decide. I know of a
    >company (I know the manager) who had to replace a motherboard after 5
    >years even thought they were 99% sure the user killed it by putting in
    >RAM without using an anti-static strap, it went to the small claims and
    >they lost !

    I find it hard to believe that a court would do that. Also, unless
    the machine failed immediately after the ram was put in, I don't see
    how they could be certain what killed the MB.
    nospam, Jan 1, 2012
  11. nospam

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 1, 12:54 am, nospam <> wrote:

    > I've had several dell monitors with no problems.  I don't get how
    > three motherboards could fail unless they're getting lots of vibration
    > or not being cooled properly or something.  Is there such a thing as a
    > "cheap transistor" or cheap resistor or cheap IC.  Solid state devices
    > should last for many years shouldn't they?

    Yes, in theory. The most vulnerable components IMO are capacitors,
    especially electrolytic type (including tantalum). In the late 1980's
    an Australian company developed an electronic type electricity meter -
    one expects these to last at least 30 years so obviously top quality
    components components operating well within rating are called for.
    Despite purchasing allegedly top quality capacitors which passed 'type
    tests', a high portion of these capacitors used in the meters failed
    within a few years giving the product a bad name. A truck delivering
    these meters rolled in Hutt Valley and although they suffered no
    apparent damage this played right into the hands of a customer looking
    for any excuse to cancel an order.
    peterwn, Jan 1, 2012
  12. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 18:12:50 -0800 (PST), peterwn
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 1, 12:54 am, nospam <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I've had several dell monitors with no problems.  I don't get how
    >> three motherboards could fail unless they're getting lots of vibration
    >> or not being cooled properly or something.  Is there such a thing as a
    >> "cheap transistor" or cheap resistor or cheap IC.  Solid state devices
    >> should last for many years shouldn't they?
    >>

    >Yes, in theory. The most vulnerable components IMO are capacitors,
    >especially electrolytic type (including tantalum). In the late 1980's
    >an Australian company developed an electronic type electricity meter -
    >one expects these to last at least 30 years so obviously top quality
    >components components operating well within rating are called for.
    >Despite purchasing allegedly top quality capacitors which passed 'type
    >tests', a high portion of these capacitors used in the meters failed
    >within a few years giving the product a bad name. A truck delivering
    >these meters rolled in Hutt Valley and although they suffered no
    >apparent damage this played right into the hands of a customer looking
    >for any excuse to cancel an order.

    Interesting, thanks.

    http://www.dashdist.com/1u2u/company/capacitor.html

    http://silentadmin.gsans.com/my-toolbox/electronics/why-do-electrolytic-capacitors-fail/

    Since the capacitor problem seems to be well known I would expect that
    all PC manufacturers use a capacitors that have a satisfactory
    lifetime even for 24/7 machines. Perhaps if businesses encouraged
    their staff to hibernate or switch off PCs when not in use, computer
    lifetimes would improve.
    nospam, Jan 1, 2012
  13. nospam

    victor Guest

    On 1/01/2012 5:43 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 18:12:50 -0800 (PST), peterwn
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 1, 12:54 am, nospam<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've had several dell monitors with no problems. I don't get how
    >>> three motherboards could fail unless they're getting lots of vibration
    >>> or not being cooled properly or something. Is there such a thing as a
    >>> "cheap transistor" or cheap resistor or cheap IC. Solid state devices
    >>> should last for many years shouldn't they?
    >>>

    >> Yes, in theory. The most vulnerable components IMO are capacitors,
    >> especially electrolytic type (including tantalum). In the late 1980's
    >> an Australian company developed an electronic type electricity meter -
    >> one expects these to last at least 30 years so obviously top quality
    >> components components operating well within rating are called for.
    >> Despite purchasing allegedly top quality capacitors which passed 'type
    >> tests', a high portion of these capacitors used in the meters failed
    >> within a few years giving the product a bad name. A truck delivering
    >> these meters rolled in Hutt Valley and although they suffered no
    >> apparent damage this played right into the hands of a customer looking
    >> for any excuse to cancel an order.

    > Interesting, thanks.
    >
    > http://www.dashdist.com/1u2u/company/capacitor.html
    >
    > http://silentadmin.gsans.com/my-toolbox/electronics/why-do-electrolytic-capacitors-fail/
    >
    > Since the capacitor problem seems to be well known I would expect that
    > all PC manufacturers use a capacitors that have a satisfactory
    > lifetime even for 24/7 machines. Perhaps if businesses encouraged
    > their staff to hibernate or switch off PCs when not in use, computer
    > lifetimes would improve.

    This might be of interest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
    victor, Jan 1, 2012
  14. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 23:22:57 +1300, victor <> wrote:

    >> http://www.dashdist.com/1u2u/company/capacitor.html
    >>
    >> http://silentadmin.gsans.com/my-toolbox/electronics/why-do-electrolytic-capacitors-fail/
    >>
    >> Since the capacitor problem seems to be well known I would expect that
    >> all PC manufacturers use a capacitors that have a satisfactory
    >> lifetime even for 24/7 machines. Perhaps if businesses encouraged
    >> their staff to hibernate or switch off PCs when not in use, computer
    >> lifetimes would improve.

    >This might be of interest
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

    Thanks. It is of interest but it's disturbing.
    nospam, Jan 1, 2012
  15. nospam

    Fred Guest

    On 1/01/2012 8:29 a.m., whoisthis wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > nospam<> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:39:21 +1300, Donchano wrote
    >>>
    >>> All I can tell you is that I bought a personal three year on-site Dell
    >>> warranty for my PC and that it more than paid for itself. Three
    >>> motherboards, two CD/DVD drives, one monitor and heaps of other help
    >> >from their 24/7 phone help. What it cost was nowhere near what it
    >>> delivered.

    >> I've had several dell monitors with no problems. I don't get how
    >> three motherboards could fail unless they're getting lots of vibration
    >> or not being cooled properly or something. Is there such a thing as a
    >> "cheap transistor" or cheap resistor or cheap IC. Solid state devices
    >> should last for many years shouldn't they?

    > Yes, components get graded.
    >

    >> The laptop I bought is $2100 new on the dell website including 3 year
    >> warranty so hopefully it has all good quality components.

    > ROTFLMAO, its called the consumer guarantees act. All you have done is
    > give them money for something they would have to do under the law anyway.
    >
    > I got a new motherboard in my sons MacBook which was 2 1/2 years old, no
    > extended warranty and no cost to me at all apart from some of my time.

    Acer rebuilt my netbook, motherboard, hard drive, wireless card replaced
    after 3 years. I purchased it with one year guarantee but as soon as I
    mentioned the Consumers act they bent over backwards to repair it. Was
    sent to Australia and back to me after repair - they even paid courier
    both ways.
    Fred, Jan 8, 2012
  16. nospam

    Fred Guest

    On 1/01/2012 12:01 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 08:29:41 +1300, whoisthis<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article<>,
    >> nospam<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:39:21 +1300, Donchano wrote

    >>> I've had several dell monitors with no problems. I don't get how
    >>> three motherboards could fail unless they're getting lots of vibration
    >>> or not being cooled properly or something. Is there such a thing as a
    >>> "cheap transistor" or cheap resistor or cheap IC. Solid state devices
    >>> should last for many years shouldn't they?

    >> Yes, components get graded.

    > Well the failure rate in TVs is very low. Why would dell motherboards
    > fail more than any other circuit board.
    >

    >>> The laptop I bought is $2100 new on the dell website including 3 year
    >>> warranty so hopefully it has all good quality components.

    >> ROTFLMAO, its called the consumer guarantees act. All you have done is
    >> give them money for something they would have to do under the law anyway.

    > I paid less than a third of that but with no warranty which I now have
    > the option of. I bought it from grays online and the "sales of goods
    > act" doesn't apply to the sale even though the laptop is brand new
    > ("resealed").
    >

    >> I got a new motherboard in my sons MacBook which was 2 1/2 years old, no
    >> extended warranty and no cost to me at all apart from some of my time.

    > I'm unfamiliar with what the consumer guarantees act provides but upon
    > looking it up I see that it says
    > <quote>
    > Acceptable quality - This means goods:
    >
    > Do what they are made to do.
    > Are acceptable in appearance and finish.
    > Are free from minor defects.
    > Are safe and durable.
    > </>
    >
    > and
    > <quote>
    > Generally speaking, this means the retailer who sold you the goods or
    > services must sort out the problem. If the stitching comes apart on
    > your fairly new shoes, you don't have to track down the manufacturer
    > or importer, you simply take them back to the shop.
    > </>
    >
    > Two and a half years is not "fairly new". So who gets to decide what
    > "durable" means?

    It's about life expectancy, useage and price. Shoes should wear out
    evenly, i'e' stitching should not give out before soles show signs of
    wear, but if they are a $15 pair from a cheap outlet then you can't
    expect much backup from the law. A computer or electronic device is a
    different thing. They should certainly not fail within the first few
    years. Once again, a particularly cheap brand might be different. There
    are no hard and fast rules.
    Fred, Jan 8, 2012
  17. nospam

    Enkidu Guest

    On 09/01/12 08:56, Fred wrote:
    > On 1/01/2012 12:01 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 08:29:41 +1300, whoisthis<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Yes, components get graded.

    >> Well the failure rate in TVs is very low. Why would dell motherboards
    >> fail more than any other circuit board.

    >>> ROTFLMAO, its called the consumer guarantees act. All you have done is
    >>> give them money for something they would have to do under the law
    >>> anyway.

    >> I paid less than a third of that but with no warranty which I now have
    >> the option of. I bought it from grays online and the "sales of goods
    >> act" doesn't apply to the sale even though the laptop is brand new
    >> ("resealed").
    >>

    >>> I got a new motherboard in my sons MacBook which was 2 1/2 years old, no
    >>> extended warranty and no cost to me at all apart from some of my time.

    >> I'm unfamiliar with what the consumer guarantees act provides but upon
    >> looking it up I see that it says
    >> <quote>
    >> Acceptable quality - This means goods:
    >>
    >> Do what they are made to do.
    >> Are acceptable in appearance and finish.
    >> Are free from minor defects.
    >> Are safe and durable.
    >> </>
    >>
    >> and
    >> <quote>
    >> Generally speaking, this means the retailer who sold you the goods or
    >> services must sort out the problem. If the stitching comes apart on
    >> your fairly new shoes, you don't have to track down the manufacturer
    >> or importer, you simply take them back to the shop.
    >> </>
    >>
    >> Two and a half years is not "fairly new". So who gets to decide what
    >> "durable" means?

    > It's about life expectancy, useage and price. Shoes should wear out
    > evenly, i'e' stitching should not give out before soles show signs of
    > wear, but if they are a $15 pair from a cheap outlet then you can't
    > expect much backup from the law. A computer or electronic device is a
    > different thing. They should certainly not fail within the first few
    > years. Once again, a particularly cheap brand might be different. There
    > are no hard and fast rules.

    But there are! Failure rates have been studied extensively. See 'the
    bathtub curve' -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

    The end bit is of interest -

    "It is also remarkable that the highest contribution to failures appear
    to be failures that have a constant failure rate character. This mainly
    counts for complex systems, being highly integrated."

    In other words, the rate of failures of complex systems tends to be
    constant over a life-time.

    Enkidu, Jan 8, 2012